Taking Dogs around Aus

Submitted: Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 09:58
ThreadID: 77280 Views:4778 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys

We are taking the kids for trip of a lifetime and are unsure if we should take our 7 year old Lab, he is very well behaved, but I'm not sure if he will be a burden (I know that sounds harsh) what would we do with him when we go site seeing etc., I have noticed that more and more parks are taking animals, but it seems to be small dogs only.

I am sure I could find someone to have him whilst we are away, but I know he is part of our family and will be missed........

Has anyone taken a medium sized dog with them????

Thanks Karen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 10:14

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 10:14
Gday,
I used to take my dog everywhere I went.....these days they usually stay at home because there are so many places you cant take dogs. I think you would spend a lot of time hiding them or leaving them locked in the car.
It does depend on where you go and what your dog is like too?

Cheers
Hairy
AnswerID: 410864

Reply By: Cruiser 2091 - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:03

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:03
I took my 4 year old Collie around Australia with me. In my case she was all I had for company so I wouldn't have it any other way. Caravan parks were not a problem but of course she could not go to any national parkks.

The biggest problem though was the signs everywhere in WA warning of baiting. This became even more of a concern when I met a fellow traveller who told of his dog dying as a result of a bait.

I ended up leaving WA more quickly than I normally would have.

Baiting is dropped by air apparently so they can even be picked up in designated rest areas, which is wher the fellow above's dog found one.

Best regards, Cruiser
AnswerID: 410872

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:42

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:42
Hi Cruiser

We saw dog bait signage in others states as well as WA.

Birds such as crows can pick up the bait and drop them in an unintended place, although in the farming areas we are required to tether the baits to avoid this movement.

Having a muzzle on the dog is the only safe way.

Motherhen

We miss our dog when travelling, but she is happier running around at home

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 680896

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:55

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:55
Hi Karen

As much as we enjoy meeting other people's dogs, ours stays home. Many of the places we choose to see and stay are National Parks. People with dogs have left them in or outside the caravan in roadside free camps to do quick day trips into the parks where we stay and enjoy. In some areas is it just too hot to leave a dog inside. Also in hotter climates, it is better to be on site, to do walks early in the morning at later in the day to avoid heat exhaustion.

Some parks allow dogs in the car if you are driving through the main road and not stopping, but some do not even allow this.Check the regulations on each state website for national parks.

In the Kimberley we met a couple on a fishing trip with well behaved dogs in a large crate on the back of their ute. Two were smaller dogs and one was a beautiful big Dingo with a dash of German Shepherd. They were very limited as to where they could travel, and even took a flight over the Mitchell Plateau to glimpse the falls. But they were young; it was a fishing holiday, and they would return some time in the future leaving the dogs in kennels to enjoy all they missed.

Your children will need to run around as often as your dog, so you won't be travelling long days, but you will be very limited as to where you can go. In some areas, caravan parks that take dogs can be few and far between, hence many of the people we have met with dogs have been finding bush camps and rest areas most of the way.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 410878

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 14:25

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 14:25
Hi Karen,

A few years ago we stopped off at a river on the way out to Kakadu. As we pulled up a frantic person asked us if we had seen a dog on our way in - they had been in a boat and seen crocs and it seemed as though a croc had taken the dog.

On top of the ever present baits, hot weather, cramped travelling space and the very real limitations as to where you can go with a dog, my strong recommendation would be to leave him at home with someone who can look after him. Yes you will miss him, but you are setting out for what promises to be a great trip - providing you can move about freely and see at least some of the wonderful things that are in the National Parks.

Also, you have indicated that you will possibly looking for work as you travel around. Would you be limiting yourselves if you found suitable work in a town with no dog friendly van parks?

Another thing to consider is availability of vet services should your friend require medical attention.

One key to successful travelling is to keep it simple, so try not to take anything that you don't absolutely have to.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 410900

Follow Up By: harrisinoz - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 15:12

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 15:12
Hi All

Thanks very much everyone, I think you are all right it will be kinder to leave him at home, no matter how much it will upset us all. I've been asking friends today so fingers crossed I will find a good home for him........

You are all such a helpful bunch on this site...

Karen
FollowupID: 680920

Reply By: ozwrangler - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 23:27

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 23:27
We're travelling with 2 kids and 2 dogs. One's small, other larger than a lab.
Both sleep outside happily in a crate (i.e. cage) as our camper is small.

I think the issue with larger dogs is in case a dog is loose and attacks.

Kids and I would not have wanted to leave the dogs for 5 months+.

Yes, you're limited in where you go, but some places they're allowed as long as they stay in the car in the carpark.
Good way to kill a dog if it's hot, but great if you can park in shade in cooler weather and only want to do a very short walk to a lookout.

Kennelling for a few days every now and then is a good compromise.
Few times have also had them in for 'daycare' which is cheaper- some vets, kennels and others do this.

AnswerID: 410988

Follow Up By: ozwrangler - Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 23:40

Monday, Mar 29, 2010 at 23:40
Meant to add ... 1080 bait is used widely. Nasty way for dog to die.
Not just NPs, I believe.
We have dogs on leash always.

Been able to camp in Flinders Ranges and Karijini NP with a few days of kennelling.
With dog "daycare" saw Litchfield (fr Darwin), Cape Leveque (fr Broome) and Kalbarri NP.

Our kids are 5 and 11 so long walks/ extended stays in NP aren't family fun for us, anyway.
FollowupID: 681015

Follow Up By: harrisinoz - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 09:16

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 09:16
Hi

Have you managed to stay on camp sites or just free camping?

Also how is your 11 year old finding your trip??

Karen
FollowupID: 681047

Follow Up By: ozwrangler - Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 18:13

Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 18:13
Mostly paid e.g. caravan parks, stations. The heat and bugs get to me, but this was the only time we could do the big trip, so both to be expected.
I'm new to caravanning/ camping and like the showers and power (fan in camper) with paid sites. Pools etc. a bonus, too.
Kids prefer caravan parks, pref. with a pool.
11 year old sometimes a bit moody, but generally great and helps out a lot.
Dogs provide free entertainment e.g. counting no. of flies eaten, pats/ cuddles etc. Kids would have missed dogs terribly and not wanted to do the trip without them.
FollowupID: 681403

Reply By: Wizard1 - Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 09:59

Tuesday, Mar 30, 2010 at 09:59
Try searching for similar previous threads about the saem subject. There was one only a day or tow ago.

Perhaps the forum should have a Frequently Asked Questions section where the same questions that are asked over and over could all be in the same place. Right along with

Which 12 V fridge?
Which 4WD?
What tyres should I get?
Where should I stay?
AnswerID: 411026

Follow Up By: harrisinoz - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 08:25

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 08:25
I agree, I have searched but it didn't come up with anything! I went back about 6 pages then gave up!!
FollowupID: 681234

Reply By: Matt(WA) - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 11:16

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 11:16
Hi Karen,

We are travelling around with our 8 year old Kelpie/Dingo cross. No dramas whatsoever. Kennels when we want to go to Nat Parks or friends we make. Lots of people will dog sit for you if you return the favour!. We have been through WA, SA, VIC and are in NSW at the moment

matt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 411167

Sponsored Links