Fitting a reversing camera to a Troopy

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 15:11
ThreadID: 77343 Views:6433 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone fitted a reversing camera to a troopy above the barn doors?

SWMBO is not keen on using just the side mirrors when the back of the troopy is full on long trips, which is just about all the time now.

Therefore she wants a camera etc. However we cart a campertrailer around as well as filling up the troopy, therefore I would like to place a camera above the barn doors.

Has anyone done it and what type of camera. The bride is not the best at guiding the trooopy onto the trailer so while I am at it I will get two cameras, one down low for me and the other for her.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Redfive - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 15:36

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 15:36
Hi BooBoo

Put one in mine about 12 months ago i made up a bracket to mount it on which is just to the left of the cargo area light so it looks out though the glass on the little back door i can email you some photos if you like but it works real well only thing wth a troopy you cant see out the back

Glenn
AnswerID: 411198

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 15:44

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 15:44
Glenn

Thats probably a better idea the drilling a hole through the roof.

Pictures would be good if its not too much trouble.

I probably won't get to see them until tomorrow as I am in the Mt Isa library using their computer as mine died recently and my son is still trying to source us one suitable to our needs.

FollowupID: 681283

Reply By: Harry - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 21:43

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 21:43
Drilling holes in the roof is not a bad thing.
I have fitted the same reversing camera to my latest Troopy (V8) and it came off the previous 78 series.
I take mine to the panel beaters when selling and have them detail the outside of the vehicle which includes filling the 2 small holes where the camera was fitted above the barn doors.
My camera is not a cheapie as it is motorised and I can tilt it to see the tow ball and then re-position to road level when driving or backing up.
The monitor is positioned on the roof console ,so the wiring just runs along the roof lip to the camera.
It's no big deal drilling into your body work so long as you can accept it can be rectified if you need to.
Ave a good 1
Harry
AnswerID: 411233

Reply By: Harry - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 21:46

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 21:46
By the way my camera also has it's own microphone and she now talks to me when at the back directing if need be.
AnswerID: 411235

Reply By: Member - sdr00y (Beecroft,NSW) - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 22:24

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 22:24
I fitted mine about 4 years ago and have just yesterday replaced it with a very smaller one.

I mounted it on the inside of the large barn door as close to the centre of the vehicle as possible.

Image Could Not Be Found

The wiring runs down behind the black plastic cover for the top locking mechanism and then into the top right corner of the cardboard stuff of the rear door. The wiring then goes out the same grommet hole that has the wiring for the speaker, rear window windscreen wiper etc. Goes into the body behind the tail lights sort of. From there I ran it up to the turret via the inside of the rear pillar and along to the front of the car via the drivers side roof/turret section. Up near the top of the A pillar I put a switch to turn the camera power off. I did this because you don't actually need power running to the camera all the time. Just for the time you are reversing. I felt that the original camera's life was shortened because I had it connected to the ignition. So it was on off on off every time I started the car. I think this may have contributed to the premature failure of the iris balance, the camera became blinded by the sun in other words. I sourced the power for the camera from a power cable I had already run up to the overhead console. Then the wiring runs in my overhead console to the flip down screen which replaces my rear vision mirror.

Image Could Not Be Found

I bought an infra red camera but found this to be useless when mounting it inside the vehicle. It is fine during the day but come night when the infra red led's turn on they just reflect on the glass and stuff up the view of the camera. I have taped up the camera so the infra red led's don't shine.

Image Could Not Be Found

The other thing I found when you mount the camera behind glass is that it loses its ability to see colours. This may be the tinting on the rear window or may be that the camera cant see colours when looking though glass. But for reversing a trailer or reversing in general it is great.

Image Could Not Be Found

I used a flip down screen because it was going to be easy to install on the overhead console. I bought a screen with a twist ability so I can angle it towards me if I want or to the passenger or straight back if need be. It can get folded up when I don't use it.

When I first had it I used to use it all the time as a rear view mirror, but actually found it distracting as it was so big compared to a mirror. Now I only flip it down for reversing.

Hope some of these ideas can be of use to you.

sdr00y

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 411243

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 22:30

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 22:30
Mines mounted on my Roof Rack and the monitor is fitted to the roof console and acts as my rear vission mirror now.
Works prefectly.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 411244

Sponsored Links