HOW DO YOU EEP THE WATER OUT OF YOUR CAR WHEN CROSSING A CREEEK/POOL ?

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 20:57
ThreadID: 77352 Views:4639 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi I'm going up the cape in june and have all the essentials, but was wondering apart from the obvious windows up how do you keep the water out of the cabin of the car.Do you close all vents and turn Aircon on ???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 21:12

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 21:12
Windows should be down for a water crossing especially if they are electric - if the vehicle stalls you are more easily able to get out. Seat belts off as well. Using a water blind, diff breathers, and a slow but steady speed to maintain a bow wave will help keep water out.

Go to the line of blue buttons along the top of the Forum page, select Articles and from it find article on 4wd driving skills and rules, scroll down a bit to a section on creek crossings.

Suggest that you practice before you head off.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 411224

Reply By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 22:24

Wednesday, Mar 31, 2010 at 22:24
There will be bundles of other cars to watch and learn from. By the look of all the posts on this and other forums its going to be like Pitt Street at peak hour. Don't be worried about taking a bypass. Its better to get to the rest of the Cape instead of blowing a motor.

As previously said - do some practice.

Check these out. No affiliation. Just some pictures and ideas.Sample water blind/bra

If you have the chance a good way of learning is to do a course. Our club runs a sand and water crossing course.

Either way you want to try it DONT DO IT ALONE. Preferably on a course or, with friends who really know what to do not just think they can.

Check this out.A wet Rangie

Listen to what the woman near the camera says. About what's on the floor. Keep stuff up off the floor. I also make sure there isn't any build up of dirt in the engine bay especially around the computer. Bit hard on dusty roads but its clean when we leave home. Dirt around water seals may help the ingress of moisture around the seal.

Poor buggers.

Phil
AnswerID: 411242

Reply By: howesy - Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 00:42

Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 00:42
Short answer is , YOU DONT , water gets in anyway thats why i always buy the basic fourby and option it up. clean up is so easy with vinyl floors.
AnswerID: 411252

Reply By: Member - Carl- Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 07:39

Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 07:39
You have not mentioned what type of vehicle. The manufacturer will give details of what depth of water you can take it into without making greater prep for a crossing.

The previous advice is great. If it is a landcruiser for example there are holes in the bottom of the door to allow water out (rain). They will also allow water back in when crossing a river.

The diffs, transfer case and transmittion have breaters for allow air out of them.They also allow water in if you go above the top of them (breather). You need to know the height of them and possible extend them.
AnswerID: 411254

Reply By: gbc - Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 11:04

Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 11:04
When the vehicle starts to float you'll worry less about the clean carpets and more about 'how the hell do I fill this thing up pronto'.

Time for a paradigm shift mate. Pre trip is always better than 'geez I didn't think THAT would happen'.

Enjoy the trip - it's a beautiful place.
AnswerID: 411271

Reply By: Swanny78 - Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 16:25

Thursday, Apr 01, 2010 at 16:25
Just don't get stuck in the water!!!!
AnswerID: 411303

Reply By: Member - Geoff P (QLD) - Friday, Apr 02, 2010 at 14:12

Friday, Apr 02, 2010 at 14:12
Doing the cape trip this year also (rain dependant) and been chasing up solutions to the same problem. Crossed Eyre creek in the simpson last year with nine other vehicles. All but the 100 series got damp floors to varying degrees. Saw a picture of a shorty with duct tape tape over the gaps between door and cabin to about window hieght. So far this seems like the simplest and best solution I've found. Means climbing in through the window though. Might need bigger windows for me. Will track this thread with interest.
AnswerID: 411412

Follow Up By: pure and simple - Friday, Apr 02, 2010 at 14:35

Friday, Apr 02, 2010 at 14:35
Thanks for the advise Geoff.
I have foulnd a solution to the problem and that is to follow you through the creeks in the cape with Wazza, Killer and YOU (Thunderbird 6 )
FollowupID: 681489

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff P (QLD) - Friday, Apr 02, 2010 at 14:41

Friday, Apr 02, 2010 at 14:41
Pure & Simple's gotta be Mike right ???
FollowupID: 681490

Follow Up By: pure and simple - Saturday, Apr 03, 2010 at 13:07

Saturday, Apr 03, 2010 at 13:07
Yep but i am using Lynn's computer.
How ya doin' ?
FollowupID: 681591

Reply By: Member - Geoff P (QLD) - Friday, Apr 02, 2010 at 14:18

Friday, Apr 02, 2010 at 14:18
Another tip I've heard which responds to your original post, Leave Aircon OFF. Apparently if the thermo fan cuts in whilst submerged you risk fan damage or fan motor damage.
AnswerID: 411413

Sponsored Links