Australia.......the nanny state

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 10:39
ThreadID: 77445 Views:5762 Replies:13 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
In my opinion this just about confirms that Australia has become the absolute nanny state.

Bruce

War on publicly displayed weapons
Gavin King From: The Sunday Mail (Qld) April 04, 2010 12:00AM 75 commentsIncrease Text Size Decrease Text Size Print Email Share Add to Digg Add to del.icio.us Add to Facebook Add to Kwoff Add to Myspace Add to Newsvine What are these?

FURIOUS: Cooktown RSL committee member Clive Clarke outside one of the buildings where a gun was displayed Source: The Sunday Mail (Qld)
HUNDREDS of harmless historic RSL displays, containing rifles, machineguns and cannons, may have to be removed from public view because they are unlicensed.

The red tape farce, which will hit clubs throughout Queensland, was triggered in Cooktown in the far north where police last week confiscated two guns – including a replica firearm made entirely of wood.

Cooktown RSL members have lashed out at the crackdown that requires them to prove the guns are inactive following a complaint from a local pacifist who felt the weapons promoted war and violence.

RSL Queensland chief executive Chris McHugh yesterday admitted an unknown quantity of weapons on display in more than 80 clubs across the state would have to be taken down if found to be unlicensed.

A law introduced after the Port Arthur massacre in 1996 requires weapons made after 1900 to be proved inactive and registered with the Queensland Police Weapons Licensing Branch, with gun barrels required to be welded shut.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Related Coverage
In pictures: The small-town charm of Cooktown
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
"While we don't have any problems with the law introduced after the Port Arthur massacre, it has always caused us some grief and hassle and we would hope it would be applied with some common sense," Mr McHugh said.

"We'll be sending out reminders to all clubs about their obligations. It is a massive amount of paperwork."

A wooden replica of a Vickers machinegun and a rusted World War II machinegun, had been displayed on the roof of two RSL buildings in Cooktown's main street for more than a year but are now being held in the police station until licences are processed.

Despite being rusted through after spending 30 years in a Cape York rainforest, the World War II machinegun must be licensed to prove it is inactive.

The wooden replica requires a separate licence because of its likeness to the real thing.

Cooktown RSL sub-branch secretary Jim Fay was stunned when told he had to dismantle the guns and hand them in to police. The club is fighting to get them back on display and has installed a plastic water gun in place of the confiscated weapons until they're returned.

"They are going to have to go around Australia and check every gun in every RSL, because I'm pretty certain we're not the only ones in this crazy situation," he said.

The confiscated weapons are classified as Category R, which includes fully automatic machine and submachineguns and any replica or facsimile of a machine or sub-machinegun that is not a toy.

Mr McHugh was disappointed by the petty nature of the complaint that led to the guns being removed, saying they had become a landmark.

"Over 100,000 Australians died at war fighting for the rights this whinger enjoys today," he said. "The RSL and sub-branch does enormous work in the local community and we're disappointed someone would be so petty to say it glorifies war."

The Cooktown woman who lodged the complained told The Sunday Mail she was proud of the efforts of Australian soldiers but was disgusted at displaying "killing machines".

The woman asked not to be named for fear she would be targeted by those opposed to her pacifist views.

"My grandfather was a World War I digger and he came back a bleep tered man, so I don't think he would have approved at all of the public display of these killing machines," she said.

All guns on display at Norths Leagues and Services Club at Kallangur are licensed, but treasurer Shaun Smith can understand why clubs may not have appropriate licences.

"If a gun is made of wood and it's been on display for ages it's a bit of a joke to make them take it down to get a licence," he said.

"All the weapons we have on display are certified as inactive . . . but it's understandable that there are examples across the state where things haven't been done so thoroughly."

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fatso - Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 11:02

Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 11:02
Will it ever end?
AnswerID: 411593

Reply By: Member No 1- Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 11:02

Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 11:02
thats got me thinking if the SA firearms branch have seized/confiscated/impounded or whatever these beautiful replica's ...

plastic ones are next....even if they look like toys
AnswerID: 411594

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 11:06

Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 11:06
scroll down to the bottom to see how much detail went into making those wooden guns that actually work but of course wont fire real ammo
FollowupID: 681633

Reply By: Member - Jack - Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 11:27

Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 11:27
How interesting that the complainant did not want her name made public. Can't imagine why. One person complains and the whole country has to jump to attention. We really have gone nuts.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 411596

Reply By: Jacob O - Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 11:40

Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 11:40
This really is disgusting. Our gun laws are out of control. When you require a license for a wooden replica then its pretty clear something is very wrong.
AnswerID: 411598

Reply By: OzTroopy - Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 11:52

Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 11:52
Ive been thinking about a wooden replica 4 poster bullbar .... soft balsawood of course .....

Obviously gunna have to rethink that idea too now ....
AnswerID: 411602

Follow Up By: guzzi - Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 16:29

Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 16:29
Dont forget Balsa is classified as a hard wood...........
FollowupID: 681657

Follow Up By: OzTroopy - Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 19:20

Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 19:20
Well I be .... who'd a thought ....

Thanks for that .....

Might just have to use carroty ol cypress then .....
FollowupID: 681673

Reply By: OzTroopy - Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 12:03

Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 12:03
" ....... The Cooktown woman who lodged the complained told The Sunday Mail she was proud of the efforts of Australian soldiers but was disgusted at displaying "killing machines". ....... "

Just imagine her thoughts on driving ability ...

Sadly ... its the display of those "killing machines" that are the few preservable, physical reminders of the sacrafices made by diggers .... as well as being examples of technical engineering skills of the time.

MANKIND is the real "killing machine" .... not the implements used .....

AnswerID: 411605

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 08:14

Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 08:14
Hi Oz

We seriously agree on something.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 681700

Follow Up By: Simon (NT) - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 14:18

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 14:18
I'd like to know if her grandfather was a member of the RSL (in any state or territory) cos if he WAS then it puts her argument to shame... cos if he wasn't in agreement then he wouldn't join the RSL.

It bleep es me off to hear things like this though, it's the mamby-pamby pink & fluffy bull bleep that has infested Britain right to it's very core where you can't even lock up a born & raised criminal cos you might upset him, or his family, or his friends or something and that might infringe on his human rights.... (after spending 5 years in the UK I got thoroughly sick & tired of it and had to come home to get a dose of reality again, to some extent).

ARGGGH~!

~I like NT, I can have a crossbow here if I want and no licence required, what would this woman say to that I wonder..

Someone should find out who she is and email her details to every newspaper in the country, or even better to every RSL in the country.
FollowupID: 681838

Reply By: paulnsw - Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 12:39

Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 12:39
the police have nothing better to do and were bored stiff so decided to raid the local RSL Club as easy soft target
AnswerID: 411609

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 12:42

Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 12:42
I forbid my children playing with toy guns or even using something like a stick pretending to be a gun because of a child hood thing that happened when I was young. We have taken our children to the war museum in Canberra and Darwin and they were more interested in the planes. They didn't realy notice the guns on show. That woman that complained has too much time on her hands. In my opinion anything to do with the RSL should be left alone and doo gooders nick off. What she is winging about is harmless its part of our history not every day life. Yes Aust is becoming a nanny state.
AnswerID: 411611

Reply By: Fred G NSW - Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 15:32

Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 15:32
I was going to comment on this woman's anonymous potshot and the knee jerk reaction of the Qld authorities involved..........but I'm too cranky about it !!!

So I won't.

AnswerID: 411625

Reply By: Mudripper - Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 15:38

Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 15:38
Obviously this stupid woman has no appreciation of what our soldiers did for our country (despite her apparent pride in our soldiers). Our country is rapidly being filled with soft headed numb-nuts, starting from Canberra.
AnswerID: 411627

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 18:06

Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 18:06
This appears to have all the hallmarks of a "come in sucker" sunday newspaper beat up. No one is saying RSL clubs can't have these, they just need to be checked and registered. Not unreasonable given that RSL clubs are hardly likely to be established as high security areas and guns, real or wooden, are quite possible target for criminals wanting to have such things. If there is an oversight in the law which means such collections were overlooked by the legislators, it can easily be addressed.
AnswerID: 411645

Follow Up By: Nigel Migraine - Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 19:33

Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 19:33
Are you able to site a single instance of such a case as you suggest may, or has, occurred? NB. Don't waffle in response - if "yes" site it, if "No" say so.
FollowupID: 681674

Follow Up By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 20:35

Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 20:35
A single instance of what? Sunday papers doing beatups? Criminals trying to pinch weapons held in low security? Legislators needing to ammend loopholes in laws?
If this first, check the Sunday Mail online. Every story on its front page is followed by an invitation to readers to send in their opinion. This isn't a balanced presentation of news, they are more interested in stirring up controversies than trying to give an accurate picture of the event. They do this because every respondee they get to bite counts as a hit (and if they can get people to argue backwards and forwards, even better.) This is then used as evidence by newspapers in this internet age (replacing the old "circulation") to help sell advertising.
Now compare the Sunday Mail front page with a regular newspaper front page. Most other ther papers do a bit of this, but every "news item"? As i said, Sunday papers are notorious for this.
I didn't say the story wasn't substantially true, I said it had the hallmarks of a "come in sucker" deal and I sure wouldn't get too excited about it until I had seen a fuller report. And even then, what exactly is there to get knickers in a knot about?
FollowupID: 681679

Follow Up By: Jacob O - Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 09:00

Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 09:00
Irrespective of the security of any RSL, who, realistically, would bother stealing a fake or real but rendered inoperative firearm? They could hardly steal them when the place is open, so they'd still have to break in. And if, heaven forbid, some idiot did steal them, what would they do with them? They obviously can't shoot anybody with them, maybe they'll bludgeon someone with them? There are plenty of much easier options if you want to belt someone over the head.
The whole thing is a big joke. Someone doesn't have much else to worry about.
FollowupID: 681703

Reply By: cobber - Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 18:20

Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 18:20
I bet the news paper articles where printed on 1st April!!!!!!!!!!
AnswerID: 411648

Reply By: BuggerBoggedAgain - Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 21:35

Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 21:35
In regards to nanny state, it would have to be NSW, for instance

The F3 has a 90kph limit on a three-lane divided road, from Hawksbury River to Jolls bridge but

A two lane road from Narrabri to Boggabri at 110kph with huge trees just feet from edges and

From Coopernook to Herons Creek, Pacific Hwy, a 80kph through the roadworks except Thiess Contractors are no-where to be seen, a good revenue earner for our police, 51 klms @ 80kph, and for the entire length they had those concrete barriers up separating the road from the non-existant workers

RTA treats drivers as children, the mind boggles
AnswerID: 411659

Follow Up By: guzzi - Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 11:10

Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 11:10
Dont forget that back in 1968 when the what is now the F3 was opened, you rolled up to the Hornsby toll gates in your EH holden, drum brakes all round,crossply tyres, no seat belts, paid your 20 cent toll and could do 70mph.
Now with a commodore with radial tyres,seat belts,air bags, stability control,anti lock brakes and sat nav, its 90KPH or 55 mph.........
FollowupID: 681715

Follow Up By: Lex M (Brisbane) - Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 20:10

Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 20:10
Maybe that's because the guy driving the
" EH holden, drum brakes all round,crossply tyres, no seat belts"
actually had a clue about how to drive compared to the guy in the
"commodore with radial tyres,seat belts,air bags, stability control,anti lock brakes and sat nav".........
FollowupID: 681768

Follow Up By: The Landy - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 14:57

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 14:57
The statstics don't point to that argument, and I'm not provoking an argument either, but they say a picture paints a thousand words....

The road death toll was much higher in 1968.....

Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 681845

Follow Up By: OzTroopy - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 16:18

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 16:18
Not being arguementative Landy ...

But its a dashed shame there isnt a graph showing the increase in permanent wheelchair users for the same time period.

Would keep things in perspective a bit .... perhaps ....
FollowupID: 681854

Follow Up By: The Landy - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 13:03

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 13:03
Good question, and if you aren’t going to be argumentative what that hell will we have to say to each other when we get around to having that beer! ;)

I wasn’t able to find a graph, and (meaningful) data collection on that information does not appear to go back as far as the sixties.
However, following are a couple of Stats that give some indication of ‘Serious Injury’ . This data collection started in 1980.

Serious Injury per 100K Vehicles
1980 42.3 (Highest recorded 1980 to 2006)
1997 19.3 (Lowest recorded 1980 to 2006)
2006 22.5 (Latest data available)

The data trended lower until 1997 and has been static around 21/22 since that year.
FollowupID: 681946

Sponsored Links