pc notebbok capabilities ?

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 13:24
ThreadID: 77447 Views:2136 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Crew,

We have a lap top each and when we take one away we are security conscious that we are leaving $1500 models in the van. We have a pc safe in the van which will not accommodate a 15inch laptop and still allow the door to close. My clever measuring !!!

Is there a 10 inch note book that has 1. wireless communication cababilities 2. a DVD drive 3. Has enough processing power for the note book to be used as a TV using a USB port linked TV card.

Which make and how much ? Or am I asking for too much from a notepad

Thanks in anticipation

Benny
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Porl - Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 15:48

Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 15:48
I know you asked fora pc but unless a netbook meets your specs I have a 13" mac book pro which I think, after years of pc's, is amazing. Not selling it of course just worth a consideration.
AnswerID: 411628

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 16:46

Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 16:46
Hi Benny,
There are some nice 12-13" notebooks around with good processing power, but they are up in the $1500+ range, in the more professional class. All the cheapies seem to use a lower-end processor, as one would expect for the price.
I bought a TV card (Geniatech hybrid analog/dig) a couple of years back for my Compaq laptop running a lower-end AMD Sempron cpu chip, and the PC didn't have the grunt to run the card, even tho the specs of the card reckoned it'd run off a P3 chip. Same when I tried it in a Celeron laptop. Ended up binning the card, as I couldn't get support from the supplier or the mfr. I doubt if a 10" netbook with an Intel Atom cpu has either the grunt or the card slot to run a TV card.
Not sure I've seen any USB TV tuners that run both analog and digital - there's still not much digital out in the country areas, only analog.
Satellite maybe, with a cheap lcd screen?
Gerry

AnswerID: 411635

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 19:24

Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 19:24
Ever thought of a Kensington lock to stop the opportunistic theft of a laptop. Relatively cheap insurance, requires the thief to have some cutting gear IF they really want it....possibly the same could happen with the safe depending on its' location.

Just a thought....

Andrew
AnswerID: 411654

Reply By: GQueue - Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 20:40

Sunday, Apr 04, 2010 at 20:40
Hi Benny,

The current 10" range are what are referred to as 'netbooks' - mainly designed for basic internet/email/basic office stuff with good battery life. Once you start adding better graphics & DVD drives, the battery life suffers, weight goes up as does size - not what people buy a netbook for.

Your wireless needs will be taken care of by any of them (WiFi or mobile wireless - some even have the latter built in). Doubt you'll find a sub-13" with a DVD drive, unless you spend $$$, but you can get and external DVD burner for under $100. As for telly, you'll have buckleys of running HD content on a netbook. Analogue/SD maybe, but even then it won't be super smooth.

Netbooks are great size wise, especially for hiding in a vehicle or hotel room - I travel with work all the time and I would never go back to a full size laptop. So long as you keep in mind their limitations.

Just a word on security - the most valuable thing I have on the netbook is the data - the netbook itself is worth $500..... All my data is stored/backup on external drives & remote servers - if the netbook gets pinched, no big deal, data is safe, the things insured and I buy a new one.

Hope the above helps somewhat.
AnswerID: 411658

Reply By: mikehzz - Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 00:38

Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 00:38
Hello
I have a 12" compaq with a built in DVD drive that ticks your boxes. I also have a USB tv tuner that does digital and analogue and runs fine on the laptop. Both are nearly 3 years old so are no longer current. Surely similar items are still available now but small and powerful means pricey (mine was $2000ish). A good indicator is to go onto the Dell site and build one to your specs. You can usually find a similar one in a shop somewhere if you don't like Dell but you will know price v spec. All the 10" models I have seen are short the DVD and only have the atom processor.
Mike
AnswerID: 411669

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 09:59

Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 09:59
You can buy a steel safe from Oficeworks for $165 that holds my Compaq which I think is a 14 in.

I installed it under the bed and used roundhead coachbolts through a chassis crossmember to locate it Then welded the nuts on

Only downside is it weighs 23kg.

Got my lappie and a large camera bag plus wifes valuables in it.

MIght be cheaper than a new lappie.

Those PC safes have never been big enough for a decent laptop ever.

SOny make a 12 in with all the bells and whistles so maybe worth a look.

I wouldnt have a DELL if you gave it to me after having to try to fix some.

Custom made parts especially desktops, nothing else fits. PITA
AnswerID: 411682

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)