Jurgens caravans

Submitted: Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 19:15
ThreadID: 77474 Views:16116 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Had a look at a Jurgen van from the outside only, crawled underneath and found the finish very tradesman like.

What I would like to know is there anyone out there that owns one.

I would like a bit of feed back, any problems or any good points.

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 19:22

Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 19:22
Well! will have to fix the profile picture as a muster at Helen springs station doesn't look like Einsliegh Gorge
AnswerID: 411733

Follow Up By: Member - Nick T (WA) - Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 19:50

Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 19:50
G'Day Rockape
Friends of my parents had one the, first trip to Melbourne from WA with only 30kms of Gravel some of the cupboards and drawers fell apart and the chassis cracked in half so it had to be left in Melbourne. Needless to say legal proceedings are continuing. Don't know if it was a South African built one or an Aussie one.

Cheers Nick T
FollowupID: 681763

Follow Up By: Member - Phil H (NSW) - Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 20:27

Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 20:27
Hi Rockape,
We have friends with one. We went to Cape Yorke with them in 2005. Had problems with the electrics on their van on the way up, and had to continually fix things all the way up through longreach, Barcaldine, Savanah Hway, George Town. Finally had most of that sorted by the time we left Cairns. However they decided to leave their van at Weipa and used a tent for the rest of the trip. (They used the facilities out of our 6 yr old Kimberley K.) On the way back they picked it up at Weipa but the brakes seized, drums disintigrated, just outside of Coen. We got it back to Coen, and I removed the braking system so that we were able to get the Jurgen back to Cairns. We left them there, waiting for Jurgen to come out and repair. Their maintenance guy was already in FNQ doing another repair, so they only had a few days to wait. However, he found that the chassie was also cracked so the van was replaced a few months later.

We were so pleased with how our kamper went that we went home via the coast and ordered a new one!

The friends have just recently done a trip to the strezeleki track and I gather the replacement van was o.k. however they still had electric problems.
FollowupID: 681772

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 06:01

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 06:01
Thanks for the answers, I think I will wipe this manufacturer of the list

Have a good one
FollowupID: 681800

Reply By: paulnsw - Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 20:42

Monday, Apr 05, 2010 at 20:42
Depends which model looking at.
If you travel centre to centre, caravan park to caravan park great. If you want to bush camp, start adding solar panels and gear buy something else.

Water tank capacity low, large Dometic roof vent crap for many reasons. Low loading capacity. Cant add extra spring leaf or beef the suspension. Cant have weight distribution hitch, no spare wheel on some models, Spinflow stove yuck. What can you say good about Alko chassis for Aussie roads, nothing.
For the good South African and European roads great. Not for Australian roads unless sticking to major main highways. What people don't realise people in South Africa and Europe where they use these tin plate chassis travel on great roads and seldom go more than 1,000k on a trip on main highways. Look at the history of Alko chassis failures in Australia. Reason why so few use them. Track record of Alko chassis is terrible.
AnswerID: 411750

Follow Up By: Rockape - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 06:02

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 06:02
Thanks for the info, won't look any further

FollowupID: 681801

Reply By: porker - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 15:54

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 15:54
We bought our Stargazer Off Road van new just on a year ago and are extremely pleased with it.
It seems to be a robust and well made unit and serves us well.
After several trips, we have experienced none of the problems mentioned above, in fact, no problems at all.
I am particularly keen to learn more about any Alko suspension failure, but to date all searches have produced positive comment only.
AnswerID: 411829

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 16:56

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 16:56
Travelled often with a couple who had an early one. 1st trip the body litterally fell apart at the seams. A replacement was rushed up to them at Darwin. Next one was going well for a year when the chassis cracked right through only holding together with the side bars & was lucky not to wright it off. They also had several smaller issues including poorly made canvas work.
This as I said was the early model so if you like the concept check to see if the problems have been resolved with the current model as I believe it's run by a different mob & may all be good now.
Cheers Craig..................
AnswerID: 411834

Follow Up By: dieseltojo - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 18:44

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 18:44
Hi all,
I had a look at them at the Caulfield Vic show and stepped into Three of them.Every one had a very soft floor and tread area.No doubt due to the type of material used,but in every van there was a pronounced Creaking sound as I entered and it certainly didn't leave me with the idea of longevity at all.
Just my opinion though,I may be too heavy for the van, lol
FollowupID: 681875

Reply By: Rockape - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 19:14

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 19:14
Thanks for all your replies.

The chassis looked to light for our conditions but I must say it was very tidy underneath. Then again! I said that when they made fridge pans with no chassis at all.

I have a 511 Coramal at the moment and have had no problems, I bought it second hand and Coramal even replaced the front boot lid for nothing, as it was a common problem.

Many vans seem to be built by different assembly gangs, you look under two or three of the same make and the finish is different in all of them.

Have a good one all
AnswerID: 411865

Sponsored Links