To User Karen and Geoff

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 16:43
ThreadID: 77498 Views:3357 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
You posted on our blog you couldn't understand why we took those spikes. First of all they were not attached to the track. Do you think we could pull them out. Second, they were on a siding, not the main track. Third the locals promote you aking them, they suggest you fossick as they want the rubish cleaned up. That, apart from a few bits of rock and such was all we took in 22000K and 35,000 dollars worth of travel, not much to ask really that we have some thing to remind us of an epic trip. There is so much worse done out there. The number of sleepers getting used for fires in Coward Springs is another point and every year you have to go further and further away to get wood. The 3 spikes we good in Marree were also badly rusted and not worth taking home, the ones along the old Gahn were so much better preserved FYI. Mostly I agree with your coment about take nothing but photos, leave nothng but foot prints but there will be times you will ask yourselves this question as well as you travel.

Good luck

PS. I would PM but I am no longer a member on here so if any one knows these people please pass this on.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 17:20

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 17:20
This subject has been a HOT topic before, however, this is my view.
I can't see a problem in removing spikes from the road.(esp. north of Finke)
I thought it was actually encouraged as they are a tyre hazard, maybe I'm wrong here.
I have also stopped and picked one up from the road, so many, they are harder to avoid, than too find
There is significant history in the old Ghan (if that's what we're referring to) and is great trip, but taking what is essentially waste left on the road, that has been left in the sand cannot be regarded as some sort of artefac.

I'd happily return the spike I removed if there was some sort of issue with me taking it

Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 411839

Reply By: Member No 1- Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 17:34

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 17:34
you were only taking the rubbish left behind by Govt or servants

we are told to take our rubbish out with us......you just took someone elses

wonder what their opinion is of the clean up which is about to or is taking place on Mt Everest?....some of left by Sir Edmund Hillary I suspect

If they are really such historical items then we are these areas not fenced off
AnswerID: 411840

Reply By: Karen & Geoff - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 18:29

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 18:29
Thanks.
AnswerID: 411853

Reply By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 19:28

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 19:28
Hi Steve and Viv,

I would not worry too much about Karen's comments, aired also on thread 75917 of ExplorOz..
On that thread there were 4 contributors who agreed with Karen but 19 who disagreed and thought it OK to pick up discarded spikes (plus a lot of asides and off-topics)

Karen may well have a conviction regarding discarded objects but to identify and criticise another person from a position of anonymity, not only on a community forum but also on the recipient's own website blog is a somewhat insensitive.

It may be a bit late for me to offer my opinion of the ethics of acquiring discarded objects but I would confess to also having collected some of these discarded spikes.

Ros and Allan B, Sunshine Coast.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 411867

Follow Up By: Steve and Viv - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 21:35

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 21:35
Ros and Allan,

Hey guys, thanks for your support on this one...do you realize we are the one's you camped with at Coongie Lakes! How the hell are you? We're living in Broome at the moment and will be for another year before we head off again. Hoping to settle permanently somewhere around Mackay.

Steve and Viv Young
FollowupID: 681894

Follow Up By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 23:24

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 23:24
Hi Steve and Viv.........check your email.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 681909

Reply By: Karen & Geoff - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 19:48

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 19:48
Yeah thats right.
Karen
:-)
AnswerID: 411870

Reply By: Steve and Viv - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 20:11

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 20:11
I'm not up-set by any means and in fact we are quite chuffed that Karen liked the blog. I think though we leave the comforts of the city with no real idea of what is accepted out there. Like I posted we were encouraged to take them, more people that do the better, more tourists, more money. So with that info why should we miss out. Seriously, go along the Gahn and there are thousands and thousands of them. There is very little heritage in a nail, it's more a travel icon for those who have......

Anyway. Again. I'm not upset, just amused at what you find when you Google your self to find the address of your blog cause some one else wanted it :-)

Karen. I'm glad you liked the Blog Feel free to ask any other ideas we have. In any case have great trip

Steve
AnswerID: 411872

Reply By: Member - Ups and Downs - Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 21:16

Tuesday, Apr 06, 2010 at 21:16
Well, I'll admit to having a couple too.

A question though - If the line was to be closed down today wouldn't the owner be obliged to remove every trace of material?

Paul
AnswerID: 411880

Follow Up By: Cliveg - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 01:02

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 01:02
Its always great to have mementos of a great trip that you have been on, but if everyone took home a little keepsake of a great trip they had, what would be left for our kids to see.

Ozzie
FollowupID: 681910

Follow Up By: Guess! - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 13:05

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 13:05
Hi Ozzie. I think it is a case of bugger our kids, as long as the people on EO get their little keep sake. I agree, it is great to have a keep sake of the trips we all do. But buy them as souvenirs from the shops. Some say they are rubbish, but it all comes down to history. Tobacco tins etc were only rubbish years ago, but they are worth a mint now, if you can get them because they were all thrown out as rubbish. It is all about history!

Anyway I will give up on this subject now, it was thrashed out a few weeks ago. I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, and this is a public forum, and we may not all agree with each other, but life goes on!

Karen
FollowupID: 681947

Reply By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 07:19

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 07:19
Not only that.... But I took three gibber rocks home from Birdsville!!!!!!

Cheers

Brian
AnswerID: 411905

Sponsored Links