3rd battery

I only have an 80amp/hr deep cycle inside my engine bay. Lasts about 2-3 days before it does running the fridge etc.

I have recently got some solar panels to give it a fighting chance but it's a slow trickle charge and not a perfect solution; for example over easter I was in a caravan park so everytime we left our camp to go out for lunch, fish etc I packed it away for security. Because of this it wasn't truely effective.

I have a grand plan though :) I would like to build a centre console where my current one is (GQ Patrol) and place inside this a 3rd deep cycle (those that you can lay on their side, upside down etc) and wire it in series with my current one giving me 100amp/hr.

Anyone done this before? Know of anyone who builds custom made professionally (I'm in Adelaide)?

Note:
to save on replies I'm not keen to put a 'box' in the rear as I have my storage, slide etc all perfect after many years of trial and error.

Cheers,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 15:15

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 15:15
Gossy,

to save hassles, I would not consider adding a 20ah battery unless you really specically want a new centre console and just need an excuse ?

I would investigate the solar solution further

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 411962

Follow Up By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:08

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:08
I agree with Mainey. Adding a 20ah battery will make little difference to your capacity but a new console is a big deal.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 681975

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 15:50

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 15:50
Gossy,

Why not consider a third battery of equivalent size mounted in the rear of the vehicle. You can get a fully sealed recombinant type Deep Cycle Battery for under $200 (Try Supercharge Batteries for example). It’s safe for the interior of vehicles and will fit in a battery box in the rear of the vehicle. I have a third 100 A/H battery behind the passengers seat. Just ensure that you run thick cables back to the third battery from the second to ensure less resistance and heat issues. This would provide you a much better option than that which you’ve proposed in the centre console.

A second option if you’re spending a bit of time in parks, is a three stage charge hooked to your auxiliary battery and use the 240 power to keep it charged up. I’d be plugging the fridge into the 240 at the same time and it will sure give the battery a head start when you head out.

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 411967

Reply By: Nik & Dee - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 15:58

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 15:58
Hi Gossy,

Couple of things, I assume you mean link them in parallell not series or you will get 24V cricuit.

I have been told by people that know a lot more than me not to mix battery types as you can lose charge from one to the other as the try to top each other up. Don't know the exact science of why it happens just that it's some thing to avoid if you can.

I have a 4.2d GQ with a Battery holder next to the radiator overflow tank. There is a 115Ah Trojan that will fit in the same size that's what I'm buying this weekend. Might be a cheaper way with less mucking about, hole drilling and wire pulling, though sometimes thats the fun part.

Cheers,

Nik
AnswerID: 411968

Follow Up By: Gossy - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 08:51

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 08:51
I have had a snorkel fitted so that part of the engine bay now has the aftermarket air filter attachment.

Cheers,
FollowupID: 682056

Reply By: newhue - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 04:16

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 04:16
I think 2 to 3 days in fine from your 80 amper.

I run my car for 20 minutes daily to top up my 105amp battery when not on the move. I find that works better than running down the battery to say 12.1v and then trying to recover the battery.

If it we me I'd fit a bigger second amp battery if possible then a third smaller one, if at all.

It's my limited understanding, but if your cranker is a lead acid, and your deep cycle is mat or gel, then they accept and disperse charge at different rates, and this is the nitty gritty of it. Lead acid's are slow chargers, and mat and gel vary, but are faster generally.
Most standard alternators can do the job at charging 2 or 3 batteries but it's how fast the battery accepts the charge, and what management system you have. Most management systems look after the cranker first, then the auxiliary, so unless you go for long drive, and I mean 5 or more hours then the third battery never gets charged. This is assuming you have run all auxiliary batteries down.

As for the perfect solution to extended stays, I think solar is as good as it gets with out an annoying generator. Can you mount some sort of locking device to the solar panel, and attach it to something big, maybe with thin stainless steel cable. Is it possible to get the solar added to your insurance policy, or take out travel insurance, it is cheap and covers a myriad of wows all year round.
In the end if the thieves want it they will take it anyway, but if it looks to hard it stops the opportunists.......well that's my plan.

AnswerID: 412066

Follow Up By: Gossy - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 08:42

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 08:42
sorry, couple of errors on my count. Yes, parallel (not series) and looking at adding another 80amp/hr onto my already existing 80.

the battery I have now is a deep cycle Century 46T fitted by ARB. I have searched the net high and low and it's the only one to fit. Any higher and I touch the bonnet. Any wider and it won't fit in the tray.

I think my best approach is to add onto a storage drawer I hope to get made here in Adelaide. On top of that I will ask to get a battery box fitted on top of it and then I can run cables to it.

Not keen on getting a wet cell battery inside the veh but I don't have a choice. Looked on the net last night and none of the AGM batteries will fit.

Cheers,
FollowupID: 682055

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 09:41

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 09:41
Yes, you have a choice; think of your, and also your passenger’s health.
I understand breathing acid fumes from wet cell batteries is dangerous to health

You will find AGM Deep Cycle batteries with the same footprint to wet cell batteries

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 682063

Follow Up By: Gossy - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 09:44

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 09:44
I can't find them online. They are skinnier and taller than my Century battery (height is the number 1 problem with the terminals touching the bonnet).

I'm most willing to replace the Century to buy 2 of the same but I can't find anything that will fit in the engine bay apart from the 46T.
FollowupID: 682064

Reply By: newhue - Friday, Apr 09, 2010 at 05:06

Friday, Apr 09, 2010 at 05:06
Gossy,
is it possible to alter the battery box, lower it, turn it, adjust it somehow to get a bigger battery in the engine bay.
AnswerID: 412220

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)