entering the no license windscreen sticker/disc erra

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 16:34
ThreadID: 77527 Views:4667 Replies:17 FollowUps:27
This Thread has been Archived
hi all
although w.a started the new system on 1/1/10 it has just hit home today when i received a renewal notice for my car and also camper trailer

that there will be no windscreen sticker or trailer disc to visually refer to any more
although i recall hearing about it
it has just sunk in

leaving a void down the track of : gee when is the license due etc i feel there will be a lot of people getting caught out by this system

one will have to check before going on a trip etc and when looking at second vehicles
but i guess it will grow on me eventually but at the moment seems like an inconvience forced on us for the almighty $$$$$$$savings

what do others think of the new erra/error/mistake ????????

do the other states have this as well as w.a
or is it just w.a saving $2 million on them

i think i will be applying some form of reminder sticker with expiry date attached to my vehicle where it can be seen by the driver
cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nik & Dee - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 16:48

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 16:48
Hi Mazcan,

I'm taking off around Oz next month and will now have to rely on memory or people at home checking the mail to make sure I don't slip out of license. It also means I have to carry all my papers around with me, nnot the end of the world but it was much easier just to have a little sticker in the corner.

Like you say you now have to check the papers every time you want to test drive a second hand car.

They Govt will save $2m in printing stickers, think how much more revenue they will get in fines from people accidently diong the wrong thing.

Maybe an option to buy one would be worthwhile for a few extra $$ for people like you & me.

I think your sticker idea is a good one might have to get a post it!.

Cheers
nik
AnswerID: 411976

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:10

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:10
hi nik
i have been thinking ((dangerous i know - lol ))
i will also leave the disc holder on my trailers and write inside it
on the metal/plastic with permanent marker inkpen as a reminder of expiry date

but i guess these holders will go of the market soon or may have already dissapeared from the shelves
that being the case i will then just write on the trailer body the expiry date

the ink can be removed each year with acetone this will solve the trailer issue

still keen to know if all states have the new system or whether
( wait awhile) w.a
has done a first move on this
cheers
FollowupID: 681976

Reply By: Who was that again? (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:00

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:00
Lets face it, the police seem not to notice cars without number plates very often.
AnswerID: 411982

Follow Up By: racinrob - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 19:58

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 19:58
Now with number plate recognition cameras fitted to police cars, two reading foward and one reading parked vehicles behind. chances of getting away with driving an unregistered vehicle are slim.
Last weekend my daughter in law was pulled over and addressed by name by a highway patrol officer on the Hume Highway and accused of driving an unregistered car. She had renewed her rego on line a couple of days prior but evidently the RTA are slow in putting this into the system, gave her a few minutes of adrenilin rush !! He warned her that if she was not telling him the truth about renewing he would make sure she had a big day in court.
Rob.
FollowupID: 682010

Follow Up By: Who was that again? (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 21:21

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 21:21
Rob, I have seen cars turn in front of me not having plates on front and rear. There is a huge backlog of owners that don't have cars registered or and unlicensed drivers too. Yes, they can face court if pursued but that, like insurance is their risk. Quite a large percentage take that risk now in Victoria.

If you do a search on Google you can find many Australian states Auditor General documents dealing with an unwillingness of police to deal with the issues as so many drivers are excused with figures as to the numbers and and reasons why cases withdrawn. Quite high percentages where drivers are already suspended are let off driving, though this is in relationship to unlicensed driving, unregistered cars are similar. Magistrates aren't dealing well with the issues we demand of them.
FollowupID: 682018

Reply By: rocco2010 - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:21

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:21
Gidday

Just ask your wife/partner to remember when the licence expires ... they seem to be good at remembering important dates when blokes can't ...

Cheers

Rocco
AnswerID: 411988

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:33

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:33
hi rocco2010
i dont have either of those options
so the inkmarker is still the best option for me
cheers
FollowupID: 681977

Follow Up By: rocco2010 - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:42

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:42
Mazcan

I don't either ... which might have something to do with my bad memory!

Cheers
FollowupID: 681980

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:48

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:48
hi rocco2010

naggin wears ya memory out

cheezs i'm going to cop some flak now !!!!
oh boy sorry girls but i can take it
love you all LOL
cheers
FollowupID: 681982

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:22

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:22
Might leave the old one on, at least it will remind us the month it is due LOL.
I think they are still going to send out renewal notices, if not another 'fund raiser' for them.
Cheers
D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 411989

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:37

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:37
Hi D

Then they will find you for having an expired sticker displayed. As i understand it, that fine still stays.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 681978

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:44

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:44
hi motherhen
yes thats right legally you could only have one license sticker on your windscreen at a time
i know a person who got done
cheers
FollowupID: 681981

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:51

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:51
Hi Mazcan

They could fine you for having an expired sticker showing. If that was the only one, then a further fine for not having a current one showing.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 681984

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 02:03

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 02:03
Yep you are right on that one, it's going to seem strange not having a sticker there. At least we will have the National Parks one there.
Cheers

D

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 682032

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 07:40

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 07:40
if they are doing away with rego stickers I dont think they would be able to impose a fine for having a now redundant bit if plastic paper on the window...the Act would have been changed to accomodate the fact that stickers are not required meaning that the old sticker is now not covered by the Act also????

be intersting to see where a Magistrate sits if it did get to court though
FollowupID: 682043

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 02:21

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 02:21
Hi Member No 1, I agee with you on that score but you can bet they will have something in place, it will become illegal to have the sticker on the windscreen as it could obstruct you vision!!!!!Here in WA it is illegal to have little dangly thingies from the mirror or anything that is not legal stuck to your windscreen.

Cheers

D

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 682473

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 19:02

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 19:02
That's right D, but # 1, they will have to change the law NOT to fine us for displaying an expired sticker - do you think they will?!??

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 682608

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 20:28

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 20:28
as you dont need a sticker...what do you have on your car if you leave the old one there....its nothing but a window transfer/sticker such as the ones we get from EO
FollowupID: 682624

Reply By: new boy - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:32

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:32
My mechanic has raised the issue of unliecenced vehicles before 1/1/10 just check the sticker you know the car is licenced straight up now how does he know unless he sights the papers and who is resposible should he get picked up during a road test in an unlicensed car.
AnswerID: 411992

Reply By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:35

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:35
Mazcam,

If WA can save $2million on stickers, the ripoff state(nsw) will probably follow suit, but they probably wont send out reminders, then fine the owner hundreds of dollars for failing to re-register...How sad. The first you'll know about it is the computer generated infringement notice in the mail 2 days after the Rego is due.

Cheers...........Jeff
AnswerID: 411993

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:55

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:55
hi trouper NSW
thats not -so -wonderfull
so you dont have this yet- wow ! just wait it will probably come soon as your govt sees the benifits

cheers
FollowupID: 681986

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:49

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 17:49
I think it is a brilliant move mazcan. Stickers don't prove licence - they still need to check that. I used to get a bunch of them as i pay on line, and the on line system sends out windscreen stickers for quad bikes and tractors as well.

As for payment, they still send out an expiry notice, and i always pay on that not the sticker.

Last year before we went away, i paid caravan licence in advance in May to get an August sticker. They hadn't printed any, and at the time, said they probably wouldn't as stickers were close to being phased out - so off we went leaving the old one on. When we got back, i tried to remove the well and truly expired old sticker. They don't like coming off plastic windows! After trying all sorts of solvents (cautiously for fear of damaging the caravan window), i had to scrape it off with a sharp knife; not easy as even when the backing film was scraped off, the print remained. It took a long time with cautious scraping. So pleased i won't be doing that again.

Hooray that we no longer have to remove those silly stickers and replace them (usually left sitting on my fridge for months before someone - like me - does the job).

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 411994

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 18:04

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 18:04
hi motherhen
could have been a chemical reaction between the plastic window and the goo on sticker
i used metho on mine and they always came off also used a hardback sharp razor

i wonder if under the new system whether one will be able to prepay the license or will we have to wait for the reminder to be generated and sent out???
cheers
FollowupID: 681989

Follow Up By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 18:06

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 18:06
Hi Motherhen, (that title always gives me a mental image of you sitting on a clutch of eggs!! LOL & I hope no offence.
If ever you do have a future need of removing stickers or adhesives off glass, plastic or for that matter any other surface use a 3M product, Scotch 700 adhesive cleaner & solvent. It comes in a pressure pak container & is not cheap but it works every time all the time. Cheers.
FollowupID: 681991

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 18:16

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 18:16
Hi mazcan

Prepaying would be the same. I only prepaid to get the sticker, as when travelling, i pay all bills monthly on line. Our Shire is licensing agency, and they can generate an account from the licencing system for prepayment.

Hi Barry

Thanks. I was reluctant to try solvents for fear it would damage the window as it had adhered so firmly, although i did try what ever was on hand including nail polish remover.

Mh

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 681993

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 18:34

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 18:34
hi motherhen
you were lucky
did you know that nail polish remover is actually acetone based or used to be

maybe theres a new one on the market without acetone in it???

i used to pinch my sisters bottle of nail /p remover in years gone by to remove marks off paint work and put it back without telling her

then listen to her b---tch when she discovered it was all gone ha aha aha ha that's what brothers do !!!! lol
and
acetone does actually desolve some plastic products or makes it go all cloudy and gooey
metho will not harm much at all as its alchol based
cheers
FollowupID: 681994

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 18:47

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 18:47
So does turps! I have tried putting turps into some plastic containers to wash a paint brush, and it just dissolves.

Metho didn't work, nor did turps, nor did the nail polish remover which was an acetone based one. I think i even tried CLR (acid based). Of course i tested each on a corner of the window before trying on the sticker. Stickers come off glass so easily - i usually wait until a damp morning then they practically fall off. The caravan window was very different. Anyway, a couple of hours gentle scraping and no trace of sticker remains and not a scratch on the window.

Mh

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 681995

Follow Up By: Gazal Champion - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 18:55

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 18:55
Hi Motherhen,
The next time you have to get a sticky backed label off glass or plastic try
Double D Eucalyptus oil. Works a treat in my experience.

Loaned the brother my car many years ago and he put a piece of insulation tape over the high beam indicator light on the dash and it was a year or so before I took it off. As it was a plastic dash I struggled to come up with something suitable till someone suggested Double D Eucalyptus Oil. Worked well and didn't effect the plastic at all.
Regards, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 681998

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 19:14

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 19:14
hi motherhen
it seems to me that maybe your caravan windows are carbon fibre
not plastic as to be able to put so much effort into getting the sticker off with so many different chems etc

and have no damage i suspect them to be c/fibre
some vans do have carbon fibre hatches and windows
and yes i tryed washing one of those nylon bristled paint brushes in turps and it finished up a ball of goo on the end of the handle all melted
such is the world of chem warfare
cheers
FollowupID: 682000

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 19:21

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 19:21
No idea mazcan. They are i believe Camec caravan windows, same as on nearly all caravans. They're pretty tough anyway.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 682002

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 10:02

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 10:02
Hi Motherhen,

try eucalyptus oil - it is fantastic for removing labels and stickers and works on caravan windows.

regards,
heather G
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 682065

Reply By: disco driver - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 18:12

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 18:12
Wotz the problem???

When the renewal notice comes in the post, open it and check which vehicle it is then write on the envelope the date by which payment must be made.
Put said envelope (and renewal notice) into the pile of accounts due for payment before the end of the preceding month and then pay it as you pay the other accounts.

OR

Pay it the day after you get the renewal notice in the mail.

Simple really.

Disco
(who, like so many others, has 2 vehicles, a trailer, a boat and trailer, a caravan and a fishing licence to remember.)
AnswerID: 412000

Reply By: Member - Nev (TAS) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 18:26

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 18:26
If your email package has a calendar put the licence date in there. You can set it up to remind you well before the event. I set up all my reminders that way especially the dreaded wedding anniversary and the war office's birthday. You can display your calendar by week. month or year so gives you a good basis for planning ahead.
Nev
AnswerID: 412003

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 18:45

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 18:45
Hi Maz

I think it it is the best idea yet.
I hope NSW will follow.
You won't get any complaints from Motor cycle riders as the label's are always a nuisance to locate a mounting point.
And no more problems with lost label's from trailers with a $20 replacement fee here. and or fine and lose of points.

Rob.

I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 412008

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 18:58

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 18:58
hi rob
yes i think i'm warming to it andit's merits
it's just another change to get accustom too
in this ever changing world
it's just today that the license reminders put me on track with it when they arrived in the mail and if we all adopt disco's method of efficient bill handling there wont be any more problems - lol
cheers
FollowupID: 681999

Reply By: Dion - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 18:51

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 18:51
Yeah, but when we had our stickers, they were meaningless without a rego number, VIN or engine number on them.
How many people know of others that were registering cheapies and putting the cheapy rego sticker on a more expensive vehicle?

Cheers,
Dion.
AnswerID: 412009

Reply By: cobber - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 20:03

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 20:03
Why don't you just leave the old sticker/disc on the vehicle and that will remind you, if that is the way you did it before, I personally use a diary to remind me about Insurance, Licence etc.
AnswerID: 412022

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 20:41

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 20:41
hi cobber
because in wa you can get fined for having an out of date sticker on your screen
as mentioned above by motherhen
cheers
FollowupID: 682014

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 21:15

Wednesday, Apr 07, 2010 at 21:15
Don't be silly..........you'll still get a renewal notice.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 412034

Reply By: DIO - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 09:52

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 09:52
So much talk, so little intelligence !

Unless the Govt. stops sending renewal notices then what's the problem ?

As for unknowingly driving an unregistered vehicle, the onus has ALWAYS been on the driver to ensure that (a) they have the appropriate licence to drive a given class of vehicle (b) the vehicle is currently registered (c) the vehicle is roadworthy.
If the owner of the said vehicle knowingly permits someone to drive it whilst unregistered, unroadworthy etc they too (in many cases) are prosecuted for 'Cause & Permit' (the commission of an offence).

The registration sticker has always been intended/used as a means for others (Police, Parking Inspectors etc) to quickly validate status of registration. It has never been used nor intended that it was the sole means whereby the owner renewed registration prior to expiration date.

AnswerID: 412085

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 13:35

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 13:35
So much talk, so little intelligence !

That the pot calling the kettle black!!!
FollowupID: 682079

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 11:07

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 11:07
I think the subtlety in this is that with the sticker on the screen you are contiuously reminded of when it is due. I presume that when travelling most will pay their bills before they go but this rego thing could be overlooked easy enough in my mind because it comes around yearly and usually a month before hand - you could be on the road when you realise.

Just another one of today's changes that challenges our comfort zone.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 412098

Reply By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 12:46

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 12:46
I think doing away with rego labels is a great idea.
I assume most have internet banking, so why not set up a scheduled payment?

The main advantage I can see s that if the rego is due and paid while away you don't have to worry about having an out of date or removed label, then having to try and explain it to the police if pulled up.
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 412114

Reply By: PradOz - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 12:47

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 12:47
I am really not sure why this causes so much drama. I suppose its like anything new - people just hate change (me included)

But when you think about it you dont get a sticker reminding you about all of those other bills you have and yet you still pay them. I never refer to my windscreen to see when its due. Its much easier to grab the rego papers or wait for the bill to arrive in mail. Yes I understand you maybe away somewhere in this large beautiful country when the bill arrives, but what will you do when that electricity bill comes for the quarter and you headed off just before it arrived? Sounds pretty much the same to me. I am sure there are ways around everything so I am sure we could all adapt to this change.

Unfortunately NSW hasnt seen the light as yet. We need to have a few studies done here first at taxpayer expense to see if it will save the Govt here any money and how they can do it. Then it will take at least 3 broken election promises before someone actually does something about it. Pity the NSW govt when it comes time for them to pay "its own" ginormous electricity bill (but thats another whinge for another day)

Plenty of trailer rego labels get stolen so people here can stick them on their own unrego'd cars. Unless you get close and personal with the fake label no one is the wiser as the colour is the same for trailers and cars. The poor bugger who had his trailer rego stolen is left to fork out for another new one.

I can see plenty of benefits in getting rid of it. May mean we get a bit organised in our own lives though. With so many people on here with laptops why not organise your bills on there so you know exactly whats due and when
AnswerID: 412115

Sponsored Links