travelling with dual axles

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 23:26
ThreadID: 77569 Views:4909 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I heard a rumour that with reading this forum ,that there are certain areas whilst travelling, dual axle caravans / trailers are not welcome?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 23:52

Thursday, Apr 08, 2010 at 23:52
Were you thinking of Purnululu Stuart? Up to last year, camper trailers were allowed in on the access road, but not caravans. Really, we saw some camper trailers were as big as the small caravans which were excluded by definition. DEC changed the regulations and now allow 'small single axled caravans'.

Have you heard of anywhere else?

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 412213

Follow Up By: Member - Captain (WA) - Friday, Apr 09, 2010 at 00:40

Friday, Apr 09, 2010 at 00:40
Apparently only single axle "trailers" are allowed in, thus excluding some of the dual axle camper trailers and trailers getting around. Here is a cut & paste from a similair question posted elswhere and answered by DEC.

Purnululu National Park Vehicle Access Guidelines

Please do your bit to help protect Purnululu National Park’s fragile environment by heeding the following advice. By doing so, you will not only be protecting yourself and the roads but also the natural wonders you’ve travelled so far to admire.

Only off-road, four-wheel drive vehicles with high clearance and low range gears are permitted in Purnululu National Park.

SINGLE AXLE off road or heavy duty trailers, caravans and other towable units ARE permitted in the park.
DUAL AXLE trailers, caravans and other towable units ARE NOT permitted into the Park and will be asked to leave.

Dual axles are not permitted for several reasons:
1. Dual axle units damage the park’s fragile tracks. The rear wheels on the second axle are unable to turn left or right with the tow vehicle when cornering. Consequently the second axle gets ‘dragged’ around corners rather than following the tow vehicle in the direction of travel. This ‘drag’ effect cuts up and damages tracks and, even in a short period of time, makes tracks rougher and more difficult to traverse.
2. Dual axle units are generally wider than single axle units. Several sections of the park’s tracks are not sufficiently wide enough to permit two of these caravans passing each other safely – even if the drivers did see each other coming.

Advice for driving in Purnululu National Park:

Engage four-wheel drive for the duration of the visit to the park.
While in the park, reduce tyre pressure by approximately 10 psi from normal highway pressure.
Observe the speed advisory signs.
All vehicles must proceed slowly and with caution at creek crossings, blind rises and sharp corners.
Be aware of wildlife and feral cattle, particularly at dawn and dusk, and if possible, do not drive in the park after dark.
In case of breakdown or recovery, visitors should be aware that roadside assistance is only available at Kununurra or Halls Creek and visitors are responsible for any costs incurred
Be aware that you are travelling on an ungazetted track and that insurance companies are unlikely to cover any costs for accident, injury or vehicle recovery.
Drivers with single axle off road caravans or other towable units should also note:

Proceed DIRECTLY to your camping area after registering at the Ranger Station.
Trailers must remain in the camping area until departure and are NOT permitted on other tracks within the park.
The tow vehicle must comply with the load ratings of that vehicle and of the trailer and the tow bar.
Consider towing training prior before visiting the park.

Cheers

Captain
FollowupID: 682179

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart P (WA) - Friday, Apr 09, 2010 at 08:10

Friday, Apr 09, 2010 at 08:10
i heard there were some desert tracks , some in far north kimberly and parts of the nt ,due to the increasing costs of maintaining the tracks and roads. but im not sure that this is fact or not
FollowupID: 682186

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Apr 09, 2010 at 16:10

Friday, Apr 09, 2010 at 16:10
Thanks Captain; I couldn't find it last night.

Hi Stuart - I know the southernmost section of the Canning Stock Route (through the station) excludes large trailers. I have not heard of anywhere else - but if any, they would be in places we wouldn't have planned to take our big rig.
Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 682241

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart P (WA) - Friday, Apr 09, 2010 at 20:51

Friday, Apr 09, 2010 at 20:51
thank you for all your help
FollowupID: 682295

Reply By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 17:37

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 17:37
As I gaze into my crystal ball I see, Caravans Band
Dual Axles Trailers Band
Single Axles Trailers Band
Large 4WDs Band
All 4Wds Band
That will be in one "Fragile" National Park and the rest will slowly follow.....I hope not

Cheerfully......................Jeff
AnswerID: 412406

Sponsored Links