A very weird noise - any ideas?

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 20:18
ThreadID: 77613 Views:3297 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy folks, I am calling on the brains trust here to help me with a baffling problem I've encountered.

My 1998 HZJ 105 Landcruiser diesel auto is making a random 'WHOOOOOP!' noise from behind the dash on the passenger's side (I kid you not).

It is hard to describe a noise in words, but the best I can do is it sounds like an electrically generated, ascending, 'owl' type of sound. It is not very loud, but still quite audible to everyone in the vehicle.

It happens infrequently at seemingly random intervals, but it is beginning to do my head in. Even my 2 year old daughter is starting to mimic it now.

I have pulled out the glove box, kick panels and centre console but am no closer to finding the culprit. I have been looking for an aftermarket warning buzzer or something similar but with no success. I've also thought about a vacuum hose for the AC controls but have no idea if they are actuated in this manner in a Cruiser. The only other think I thought to look for was an owl's nest.

Accessories I have fitted in the area are an ARB turbo timer, a GME TX4400 UHF, a Belkin iPod cradle and an aftermarket cruise control.

Somebody help me please!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 20:24

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 20:24
I had a similar in Darkie, ended up disappearing after I greased the drive shafts. I thought it was comming from inside the cabin as well.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 412436

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 20:34

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 20:34
EH!!!?, The drive shafts where making a WHOOOOP! noise? :))))))))).

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 682443

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 20:37

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 20:37
Had me buggered as well, but since then all has been quiet :))

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 682445

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 20:32

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 20:32
Hi. I had a speedo cable in a Triton making a similar noise recently. The cable ran across the firewall and down under the passenger side floor and like your's, the noise was intermittant. Not sure whether you have a cable or electronic speedo but it may help. Regards,Bob.

AnswerID: 412438

Reply By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 20:57

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 20:57
Gday - I had a strange noise - and like toyocruser, mine turned out to be speedo cable - easily fixed - no more noise.
jules
AnswerID: 412439

Reply By: john&thejayco - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 20:58

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 20:58
G'day V8Diesel,
As some others have said it may pay to look further a field, a couple of weeks ago i was driving along and a thumping noise started to happen intermittently, firstly i thought it was coming from the interior, maybe something moving about in the glove box or the dash.When i pulled over it stopped and everything seemed to be in place.When i got going it started again , pulled up again looked under the bonnet, still nothing.Finally i noticed the piece of rubber between the front passenger wheel and the coil spring had came adrift and was hanging down touching the tyre,must have been flicking up hitting the inside if the mudguard.whipped it off ,to put it back on properly later and no more noise.
Good luck finding your mystery noise.
Cheers John.
AnswerID: 412440

Reply By: Muntoo - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 22:01

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 22:01
I had a similar sound in a 80 series, and im positive it ended up being the clutch master cylinder. Thats if i remember correctly, it sounded like it was the stereo or a toy but a mechanic mate pointed it straight out. It was the master cylinder playing up somehow, fluid would rise and then fall under a little pressure, hence the whoooooping noise. Seemed to happen after the gear change too, not during it.
AnswerID: 412447

Reply By: donk - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 00:10

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 00:10
When the 105 cruisers were first released in 1998 the early ones made what toyota described as a trumpeting noise (sounded like a fart) from the airconditioner tx valve that lives in the area where you are hearing the noise from

Does the noise still happen with the a/c turned off ??

Regards Don
AnswerID: 412455

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 06:35

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 06:35
Haaaaaaaa Haaaa I just had a good laugh, I was reading your post about the 'WHOOOOOP!' noise when I noticed the picture on the right side of the screen moving....I thought ...........that's what it could be.

Image Could Not Be Found

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 412461

Reply By: Nutta - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 09:43

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 09:43
I've got a kia work ute/trayback that does the same, i think its the air con.
AnswerID: 412485

Sponsored Links