Brush stone guards

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 11:31
ThreadID: 77633 Views:12012 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have any experience with the Brush type stone guard that attaches to the tow hitch tongue?

Most interested in performance on gravel, stony, roads like around Innaminka ( and lots of other places).

Want to protect new camper from 'gravel rash' and stone damage as well as ricochets onto rear of wagon.

Thought the idea of cutting the stones off at or near the source sounded a good idea.

Any comments appreciated, as usual.

Regards
Mike
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dirttracker - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 11:47

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 11:47
Mie,
I have a stone stomper. They are worth a look.
AnswerID: 412508

Reply By: Member - RobnJane(VIC) - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 13:29

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 13:29
G'day Mike,

No experience with these, however my opinion is that the brush material used in most of these set-ups use the same material used in truck guards to control water spray.

When travelling in serious gravel/stony areas my thought is that the stones being sprayed around will be 'heavy' enough to pass through the brush material pretty much unhindered.

I like the idea of a reasonabley heavy solid rubber flap that will both deflect stones or at least slow them down a bit.

As another thought, whatever you decide on, don't make them too long as if they drag on the ground they will flick up stones.

Hope this is of interest to you.

Rob.
RobnJane

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 412522

Reply By: Member Boroma 604 - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 13:51

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 13:51
Gooday,
They are widely used in the US but have not spoken to anybody who uses one. Very sceptical of the performance, like the Rock Tamers a bloke brings in & sells, look good but not truly effective I do not think.
My experience has been, had a rubber insertion flap across the back of our tow vehicle for a few years, almost on the ground when towing. When you get up to approx 60KM an hour it lifts up and is only partially effective. The other danger is most new vehicles run at very refined temperatures today, and, I am pretty sure that the Differential on our vehicle was on the way out when we sold it at 80,000 Km from new. I went across The Great Central towing our 21Ft caravan and the Rock Stopper helped but was far from satisfactory.
I then tried the Shade Cloth trapeze type under the drawbar but found it a pain in the armpit putting it on and off and turning etc.
Finally have what I believe to be the best solution.
As we have an aluminium Generator Box on the front drawbar need it to be accessible. I finally made a Rock Guard from 3/4 " RHS that sits on the drawbar in front of the box, it is removable in 3 sections. Two brackets on the A frame/chassis with sockets takes centre section. Then two side panels also removable with spigots and sockets which comes across to each front corner of the caravan on the sides.
When it came to a fabric to put on it I was going to use rubber insertion, as shade cloth reacts like a trampoline. Finished up using indoor/outdoor carpet. Brilliant, light, cushions the impact of any missile, comes in a variety of colours, durable, easily washed and easily replaced and cost effective. On the two sides it extends about 4 Inches lower for extra protection.
I will try to post some photos with this but if they do not appear you will have to Email me and I will happily send them to you.
Cheers,
Boroma 604.
Sorry cannot insert pictures they are on another Laptop, if somebody Emails me I will try to send them nasd they may be able to add them.

AnswerID: 412524

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 14:33

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 14:33
Agree whole heartedly about the temperature underneath being affected

I had a full width rubber mudflap with a 300mm gap in middle when I started my trip and noticed one day on the east coast where it wasnt really hot that my rear tyres were up to 65deg.

Fronts were only about 6 above ambient.

Stopped and removed mudflap as I had heard they can do this.

Tyres immediately dropped back to below 45 deg.

Never fitted it again. Some other method that doesnt inhibit airflow under the car seems a wise way to go.

Have also heard of diffs cooking as stated above.

Whatever you fit dont pull the material like shadecloth tight.

Leave a sag in it and it wont ping the stuff off

As in cricket nets

They are loose and absorb the impact.

If they were tight the ball would fire off like a rocket.

FollowupID: 682565

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 19:23

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 19:23
I have extended the mudflaps on the front of my CT to try and stop the stones.
The mudflaps were bending back with the wind pressure as I was driving along and then deflecting the stones down to the ground and then they were bouncing back up again.

I thought by putting the spray suppressant bristles on the bottom of the flaps, it might slow a few of the stones down a bit.
Not too sure how effective it is really because I had quite a few chips on the CT already, and I didn't do a count before and after.
It is hard to see in the pic, but my modification gives about 3 - 4 inches clearance to the ground, but it doesn't matter if it touches the ground if I am going through a few bumps or dips, it just bends back easily.

Not sure how it would go attached to the tow hitch.

I enquired about the price of the suppressant from a truck spares place and they reckon some stuff is as dear as poison, well this is dearer.

I managed to get some off a damaged truck.

Image Could Not Be Found

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 412569

Sponsored Links