Modifying Snorkel for DX GQ 4.2

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 22:02
ThreadID: 7764 Views:2065 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Today i removed my precleaner air box or what i thought was my precleaner.... When i took it off i couldnt even see where a filter would go but it seemed more like an intake control device... It has got the entry on the snorkel side which is quite a normal entry but on the exit at the main air cleaner side it seems to have some sort of air restriction device very similar to a hiclone but it is a factory piece of equipment... WHAT THE ??????......

Regards... _____________________________________________

Reply By: Member - Eric- Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 22:08

Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 22:08
Its desighned to brake up dust and you will notice also a water drain ,

not needed when a snorkel is fitted ,

before you fitted your snorkel , you will have noticed the the intake was from inside the guard , thats why they use the spirol Venus Bay
AnswerID: 33525

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 22:20

Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 22:20
Thanks Eric... So my other question is....... Is it a power restriction??? Because now i have taken it out and ran a 90mm piece of downpipe straight across.._____________________________________________

Follow Up By: Member - Eric- Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 22:29

Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 22:29
When I removed mine on my Maverick , I didnt notice any diffrence in power . On my 80 series , I did notice more power on Gas , but no diffrence on petrol . From memory , your GQ is a diesel. if you dont remove it , it can take water on river crossings and hidralic the motor , make sure you use silicone on the air filter assembly also .Venus Bay
FollowupID: 24059

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 22:33

Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 22:33
Thanks again.. silicon used generously on all joints...
Yes.. Diesel... _____________________________________________

Follow Up By: Member - Eric- Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 22:42

Sunday, Oct 12, 2003 at 22:42
Now dont forget , the silicon is only good till it cracks , always check before every trip , I usually clean and re seal every service , Venus Bay
FollowupID: 24061

Reply By: JohnR - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:07

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:07
Voxson, Have not had my aircleaner apart on the Nissan, just about to. The turbine blades in the agricultural situation I am used to, spin the air around the aircleaner body to that the centrifugal force spins the grass seeds, dirt or heavier than air particles to the outside of the body. The particles and grass may pass out through the rubber covered bleeder. The blades stay still of course.

The blades are common and often fixed to aircleaner elements when fitted on replacement. I have seen grass forced out the bleed nipples by the movement of air and quite a bit of dirt too. I reckon any assistance to keep your filter cleaner should be left in place, even with a snorkel if you can.

Regards John
AnswerID: 33537

Reply By: Mick - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 11:21

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 11:21
Yours must be different to mine, I had 2 air filter elements and no hiclone bit. I have seen them on many petrol GQ's but not on the diesel. The second element was good for dusty roads, but around town i removed it for better performance.
My theory is if you dont need it throw it away! more room and less things to go wrong!
AnswerID: 33561

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 15:42

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 15:42
Some come with a precleaner, and some come with a "HICLONE" type thing.

Lukes had the same. Its not a precleaner.

Scrap it!
AnswerID: 33609

Sponsored Links