Attaching bike carrier to trailer/caravan

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 22:28
ThreadID: 77655 Views:6287 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 7x4 trailer with hard cover and cross bars and need to carry 3 bikes - no space inside the trailer. What's the best way to do this? I have a Thule bike carrier that attaches to a towball, so re-using this would be ideal. A couple of options I've thought of:

- weld a tow ball onto the A frame and find somewhere else to put the spare tyre and attach the bike carrier to this
- add a tow bar at the rear of the trailer (is this legal?)
- store the bikes on top of the trailer standing upright (would this be a pain to secure?)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 23:47

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 23:47
I don't know of any reason why you can't have an attachment on the rear of a trailer, Caravans have them so what's the difference in your opinion, secondly if your going to make a carrier on the rear it needs to be strong, no movement AT ALL, we had some tourists from down South here last year and they lost 2 bikes of the back of the van, quite often I see carriers rocking back and forth while travelling, if a carrier can move then the point of flex will be the place the metal will fatigue and crack, you can make a good strong carrier but what you fix it to needs to be strong too,

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 412602

Reply By: Member - Vic S (VIC) - Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 04:53

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 04:53
We have our spare mounted flat on the A frame with a steel shaft welded that comes up through the center of the rim the bike carrier then slots into this,whatever you do use tie down straps to hold the whole lot stable or they will end up as road kill.
Good luck Vic
AnswerID: 412605

Reply By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:56

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 12:56
Garbage

here are a few pics of the set up that i made myself.has had 2 adult and 2 kids bikes on it and it travels well.Image Could Not Be Found Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found

as long as the bikes dont stick out 1.2 mtres (1200mm) from the rear of the trailer you'll be right,hope these pics gives you some sort of idea,cheers.
AnswerID: 412635

Follow Up By: Steve and Viv - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2010 at 15:59

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2010 at 15:59
Good stuff. So that 1.2 metres is a rule some where in the dimming lights of the RTA etc :-)

Thanks for that
FollowupID: 682793

Reply By: Fatso - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 13:41

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 13:41
If you want to ride your bikes mount them on quick release fittings on top of your hardtop. There is more chance of them getting clean air up there.
We are bike riders & won't put our bikes on the back of any vehicle. It is a good way to wreck them.
They pick up way too much dust & grit out there.
If you just want to take the excess weight with you to make your rig look the part just mount them on the back. Don't waste any money buying anything that you might get real satisfaction out of riding though. It is only going to be good for a few rides.
Quick release clamps are about $45 each. Our bikes did 10,000 k around SA & NT inside our patrol wagon mounted on quick release clamps last year. Always safe & secure.
We have ridden over 5000 k since.
AnswerID: 412890

Follow Up By: garbage - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 17:05

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 17:05
Thanks for the suggestion! Do you have any links you can send me about the quick release clamps? I like the idea of having the bikes on the hard top of the trailer - less weight on the towball.
FollowupID: 682934

Follow Up By: Fatso - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 17:11

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 17:11
Sorry garbage. At the moment I don't know how to put up links. If you go into a pretty good bike shop & talk to a senior sales person there they should be able to help you. Bike riders love to talk bikes & bits.
They come in various styles & prices. Mine cost $45 each but they go up to a couple of hundred for fancy set ups.
FollowupID: 682935

Sponsored Links