Break-away switch

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 22:52
ThreadID: 77656 Views:6814 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I am a first tiime contributor to the forum. I have fitted a breakaway switch to my caravan, but instead of connecting the breakaway battery box to my 7 pin plug, I have connected it to the batteries in my caravan which are charged by my solar panels. I have run the earth to the chassis as instructed but for some reason the switch doesn't operate the brakes. The only change I have made to the wiring diagram is connecting the positive wire from the box to the solar batteries instead of connecting this wire into the positive line of my 7 pin plug. Can anyone advise me please

Thanks
Whitey
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 23:00

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 23:00
It should be connected to the battery in the van. And so should the earth.

Have you connected the two wires from the switch into the brake circuit

A breakaway is not normally connected to the 7 pin plug at all.

It is supposed to have a battery that keeps the brakes on for at least 15mins.

When you pull the pin the brakes and brake lights should come on for the required time or until you put the pin back in.

Also never connect the wire to the towbar It should be connected to a point that if the towbar should fall off (they have) it will activate and pull the van up. Read the instructions carefully.

Is there a unit or just the switch as most have a unit with a battery incorporated in the circuit EG Breaksafe 5000.

AnswerID: 412596

Follow Up By:- Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 17:34

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 17:34
Sorry. I posted a reply instead of a follow up. Please refer to reply 3 for my follow up. I am still on "L" plates as regards the computer and web sites. Hope to do better next time.
Thanks
Whitey
FollowupID: 682702

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 23:40

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 23:40
Not quite clear Whitey, but it sounds like your Breakaway system battery would be kept charged from the car when running, hence the mention of the 7 pin plug. If you are connecting to the in caravan batteries instead, you should remove the small breakaway battery and connect it direct to your solar charged in house batteries. Does this make sense to the gurus?

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 412601

Follow Up By:- Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 17:35

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 17:35
Sorry I posted a reply instead of a follow up. Please check reply number 3.
Thanks for your help.
Whitey
FollowupID: 682703

Reply By:- Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 15:28

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 15:28
Thanks Graham H and Mother Hen. I am getting 12 volts from the battery box to the breakaway switch before I pull the pin. I would have thought that once I pull the pin the 12 volts would have made a full circuit to the brakes, thus activating the brakes. Instead, the voltage drops to about 3.5 volts.
I have a battery unit as well as a switch and the battery unit is connected directly to my in-caravan batteries. And yes the wires from the battery are connected to the brake lines.
The unit I have is "The Engager" Model 20099 breakaway system.
I have taken on board all your comments and and thank you both for them.

Regards
Whitey
AnswerID: 412650

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 18:28

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 18:28
The wiring diagram on my Breaksafe is as follows

Orange x2 to Breakaway switch

Blue to brake + line from 7 pin plug pin 5 normally Blue

White to earth on chassiis or to white wire on 7 pin plug Pin 3

Red to stop light circuit normally red from 7 pin plug

Black 12 volt from 7 pin plug pin 2

As the battery is only used if van disconnects Charging it from the car is sufficient.

I dont know about yours but mine has a built in charger and uses the 12 volt to charge through that.

Sounds like you have a short or a bad earth

Otherwise the battery is not fully charged What test light comes on green or something else.

AnswerID: 412670

Follow Up By:- Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 22:12

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 22:12
I am pretty sure that the wiring info you have given me is the same as mine. The test light is green. If it stops raining here for a while I will get around to checking all the wiring. Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated.

Whitey
FollowupID: 682734

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 11:24

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 11:24
What happened Everyone asks for advice Very few say how they fixed it

AnswerID: 413392

Follow Up By:- Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 14:51

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 14:51
Hi Graham

Just got around to fixing it this morning. Re-checked all the wiring. Must have had a bad earth as its working ok now. Thanks for all your advice, it was really helpful. The only difference between ours and yours was the colour of the wiring.

Heading north for the winter this week. Happy travels to you and yours.

Whitey
FollowupID: 683506

Sponsored Links