Reverse Camera Display Issue

Submitted: Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 08:44
ThreadID: 77661 Views:2359 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My reversing camera installation in my Van has a weird issue that has taken a while to track down.
I use the 12v supply in the van to power the camera (not the supply from the car). When I use the display in the van all works well.
When I use the display in the car all works well until I hook up the van running lights to the car.
Then all I get is a blank display.
It has taken some time to get the exact situation so I know when it works and doesn't as I usually hook up the running lights first.
The two systems are independant other than they share the same earth (ie: the van chassis). All other power systems work fine and the display seems fine otherwise.
I know the real simple answer is to use the power that the running lights are using, but I had prewired everything as I was building it and to re-wire it now is a major effort.

Any ideas (other than saying simply it must be the earth).

Cheers Cam
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Teege (NSW) - Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 10:26

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 10:26
Cam
In a Jayco Eagle I used to have I had a situation where the van brakes would not work while touring. Every time I took it to the dealer to look at it the b------ things worked. The final diagnosis was that the earth was not heavy enough to run the van brakes when the fridge was running on 12 volt. Solution - run a heavier earth right through the truck and the van. I wonder could you have a similar problem.

teege
AnswerID: 412620

Reply By: Ianw - Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 18:42

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 18:42
Sounds like an earthing problem to me !!

Ian
AnswerID: 412674

Reply By: Nutta - Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 20:43

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 20:43
Maybe something to do with the safety cutout as though watching dvds on the move, sometimes wires need to be joined somewhere to trick the system, if it is that type anyway, just a long shot.
Good luck Wayne.
AnswerID: 412684

Follow Up By: Camoco - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2010 at 07:16

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2010 at 07:16
Thanks Nutta,
That sounds like the most plausible reason to me, though I am not sure how to get around it.
I'll keep testing and see what I get.
Cheers Cam
FollowupID: 682752

Sponsored Links