Now the next bit . . . . Oil Gauge hook-up

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 20:52
ThreadID: 77720 Views:2348 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Yep! things are all coming together real nicely on the '02 GU TDi

These are my thoughts for the oil pressure gauge. The pod is in, the VDO gauges all fit OK. I want to keep the existing sender to the dash oil light and audible alarm.

To fit the pressure gauge I will remove the existing sender (somehow . . . it's in a begger of a position) and get a suitable T piece from Enzed into which I relocate the sender one side and then the tube for the pressure gauge in the other side of the T .

There are no instructions with the gauge but I assume that I will purge the pressure tube up at the gauge just as I'm assembling it.

I know (from the boost gauge) that Enzed have a great little spigot into which you just push the tube and it locks and seals on the tube, don't know what it's called though but it works and would save trying to tighten a nut onto the T.

I'll probable do the work from underneath.
How does that all sound ??

I sometimes question my sanity . . . . and then it answers back.
Carpe diem

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 21:20

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 21:20
G'day, two observations, one, the "oil light and audible alarm" is the alarm after market? Two, electric sender is my preference, much easier to run wires than tube and no leaks..... Not sure about the purge, good luck with the install. John
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 412947

Follow Up By: Member - Salt grinder - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 05:49

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 05:49
Alarm is after market, also does the block temp at the head. I fitted that because whoever really looks gauges all the time . . . . usually only happens when it might be to late.

I take your point re lecy but it's already bought and half fitted. Wont be a prob.
Thanks anyhow.
I sometimes question my sanity . . . . and then it answers back.
Carpe diem

FollowupID: 683004

Reply By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 23:41

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 23:41
No need to purge the tubing. The gauge will read the same pressure with or without air trapped in the tubing. In fact some air inclusion will provide some damping to reduce any rapid fluctuations of the gauge needle.

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 412961

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart P (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 23:43

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2010 at 23:43
stick with wiring give tubes a miss please
FollowupID: 683001

Reply By: Member -Signman - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 09:44

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 09:44
Another vote for electric gauge. That capilliary tubing can (and probably will) kink, snap and leak.
Have seeen a rather expensive rally car engine sieze- coz a stick came up under the car and ruptured the tubing. The engine stuffed before the idiot light came on !!!

AnswerID: 412981

Sponsored Links