TyreDog. What high temp should I set

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 06:12
ThreadID: 77725 Views:5180 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Just received a Tyre Dog pressure monitor and wondering what tyre temperature to set for the alarm. What would be a safe temp and a high temp.

Thanks

Christian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 07:06

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 07:06
I've had my tyre dog for some time now, and because of the externally mounted sensor, I believe the temperature reading is not reliable. I used to have internal sensors, and they read about 15 to 20 degrees hotter than the Tyre Dog. I used to run an alarm temp of 60 degrees with the internal sensors. 60 degrees should not cause too much tyre damage but is high enough for concern. Given that and my feelings about the Tyre Dog temp readings, I run 45 deg as the alarm.
AnswerID: 412964

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 08:14

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 08:14
Christian,

Also be aware that if the display loses communication with a sensor, rather than a reading for that sensor dropping off the display or sound an alert, the monitor will display the last reading it had. This will occur even if the entire sensor has dropped off! If one tyre reading remains static while others vary, it’s a fair indication that it has lost communication with the sensor and you will have to reset and try and acquire the sensor again. Also go down to a two dollar shop and buy plenty of spare batteries of the size to fit the sensor. Some sensors can chew through them fairly quickly.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 412972

Follow Up By: time waster - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 11:05

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 11:05
Thanks Mick for some great tips.

Hows the new V8 ute coming along.

Christian
FollowupID: 683029

Follow Up By: Mick O - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 17:22

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 17:22
Expensively Christian LOL. Nothing is cheap for the 4x4 enthusiasts.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 683068

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 11:24

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 11:24
G'day Christian

I use the Tyredog ~ TD-2000A Series monitoring system on all wheels on my vehicle and caravan, the caravan has a totally seperate unit.

As with any prefered tyre pressure setting, you will never get an exact reading back to the display screen ~ all monitoring systems have an inbuilt error factor, the tyredog is no different.

The sensor monitor will display a warning at every 2 PSI decrease in pressure and correspondingly the temperature alarm will beep three times at every one degree C rise in temperature.

If your tyre pressures are set correctly for the load your vehicle is carrying and your monitor pressure margins are not to close, the slight fall or rise in pressure and temperature will not cause any warnings/alarms to be sounded.

If a tyre begings to loose pressure due to a puncture/slow leak the tyre temperature will rise and sound a warning. You then should physically check the tyre in question, call it an early warning system.

It could well save the tyre from being run flat and destroyed.

My preference is 85*C Maximum tyre temperature before alarm.
My preference is 30 PSI low tyre pressure setting for the alarm.

This may not be ideal for your application, but it suits my requirements and my vehicle set up.

As for the sensor battery life, the stated life of the batteries is from 1 to 2 years depending on working hours per day? I'm not sure what that actually means, because the sensors monitor continuously, they do not go to a sleep mode. Spare batteries or sensors ! That's why I have them fitted to the spare wheels too ~ spares.
AnswerID: 412996

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 12:50

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 12:50
My Securtire sensors go to sleep and take up to 5 mins to wake up.

They are activated by the rotation of the wheels and have proved not to work too well on spares

They transmit the pressures every 8mins in sleep mode and every 4 mins in working mode if there is no change in pressure or temp
AnswerID: 413007

Sponsored Links