Cooking in a camper van.

Well, we've done it - bought ourselves a 2005 Ford Transit camper. Now I'm in need of advice from the experienced travellers out there. The van has a three burner gas cook top - not overly keen on using gas, but I guess I'll learn. The other item is - a gas grill oven. Now, my question is - apart from grilling chops, what else can I do with that? Does it function as an oven, or only a grill? Can I cook scones, a pudding, or a roast, or are we restricted to the "grilled cheese on toast"type of meal? Are there any books available which deal with this type of equipment? Any advice/information/suggestions anyone could offer will be very gratefully received. With thanks. Patricia.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wrong Way Jon - Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 18:54

Saturday, Apr 17, 2010 at 18:54
Hi Patricia,
You are right, it is not an oven.
Gas cook tops are great, I hate electric tops. Once you have used a gas cook top you will never go back to an electric stove.
The heat is there just about instantly and you can turn the heat down straight away.
You can grill fish, chips and things like that, even make toast under it.
I'm those that are learned with them can give you tips and hints about the do's and don'ts & have recipes or know what books to purchase that will help you.
Happy travels.

AnswerID: 413302

Follow Up By: Member - Patricia R (TAS) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 22:16

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 22:16
Thanks Jon - I certainly need "L" plates for this one! At least baked beans on toast looks to be an option. at least until I get the hang of the thing. The van is an ex Apollo rental, so I might contact them and see whether there were ever any instruction/recipe booklets available. Thanks for your help. Patricia.
FollowupID: 684031

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 09:10

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 09:10
Hi Patricia,

Im not familiar with the type of stove that you have. But if its an enclosed space with a heat source then surely it will act as an oven? Why not experiment a bit before you set out on a trip and find out what is possible. Start with something simple that only requires a low temp like a basic casserole and see what happens. If that works move on to something needing a higher temp.

My guess would be that using a cast iron camp oven (assuming it would fit in the oven) would help distribute the heat more evenly. You can certainly use that in a fire for cooking just about anything, so I dont see why it wouldn,t work using gas as a source of heat.

HTH,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 413373

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 13:33

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 13:33
The grills are mostly shallow and only have top heat as a grill would.

They usually have a tray on a slide and thats all

The ovens have the burner at the bottom rear and much more space and so distribute the heat properly.

Perhaps hop on the manufacturers website and see if you can get a manual for the stove.
FollowupID: 683489

Follow Up By: Member - Patricia R (TAS) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 22:20

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 22:20
Thanks John and Val - and Graham. Apparently it can only be used as a grill - steaks, snags, making toast, etc. I'm tempted to try something simple, maybe a batch of scones, just to see what happens. I do have a camp oven, but no way it would fit in there - don't think that would work, sorry. I'll try Graham's suggestion - surely the manufacturer will know what the thing can do?????? Thanks, everyone. Patricia.
FollowupID: 684032

Reply By: sweetwill - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 15:54

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 15:54
hi Patricia,
At Easter my brother in law came from cairns to stay for a week, I'm in Woolongong the first night he turned the stove on to grill something about 15 minutes later the smell of gas was overwhelming he only has electricity at his home, he had turned it on and hadn't lite it moral of the story Remember to lite it. cheers bill.
AnswerID: 413434

Sponsored Links