Crossing the Nullarbor in July

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 13:46
ThreadID: 77808 Views:4669 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

We are heading accross the country from Perth to NSW in July and was wondering if there are any new camps along the way or any recommendations for rest stops along the way?

Also, has anyone crossed the Hyden to Norseman track lately? We live south of Perth and thought that it may be a quicker way to head than going around.

We are travelling in a 100 series cruiser and 2 kids with the aim for a quick trip there and a look around on the way back after the snow trip.

Its been a few years since we have done the trip so any info would be great.

Thanks

Eric
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 14:01

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 14:01
Perth to Canberra $299.

Return $600.

By 4 is $2400

What's your time worth?

You'd have to consider the alternative to driving a thirsty vehicle.
AnswerID: 413407

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 14:08

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 14:08
Hi Eric,
It's been a bit over 12 months since I was out there on a border run. The Hyden-Norseman road can get sticky if it's had heavy rain, otherwise it's a good road used all the time by mining companies. Check with the Shire of Norseman for an update just before you go - it's worth the distance saved. On that road, The Breakaways (signposted) is a nice overnight campsite. Lake Johnson is ok, but a bit exposed.
Out of Norseman before Balladonia, Newman Rocks is nice. Worth checking with Mt Fraser station to see if they have overnight camping again (had closed it a while back). Beyond there, it's pretty bleak all the way to the border, but there are what they call 24-hour stops, meaning you can camp and there. The dunnies are pretty awful! There are the occasional outcrop of low trees near the highway which, if nothing else, give a sense of shade and shelter. These are popular sites, though, so they can be busy. Last one I camped at, there was a campervan load of European tourists with their sound system blaring into the night. But they did shut down when politely requested!
I tend to take one of the old tracks to the disused microwave sites so I'm well off the road, out of sight and away from the noise of trucks all night (keep your eye out for a tower, then the track in is usually directly at right angles to the highway).
The inexpensive campsite at the Amber Motel at Eucla is a nice break - good view to the sea, and they have desalinated water showers.
Usually, Mundrabilla and Eucla have the cheapest fuel.
Cheers,
Gerry
AnswerID: 413410

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 14:45

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 14:45
Meant to add; it gets freezing out there in winter. Just miserable cloud cover, no sun, no rain. Eyre has the record in WA for the coldest night ever at -7deg.
FollowupID: 683505

Follow Up By: ribz - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 15:27

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 15:27
Thanks Gerry!!

Some great hints there. We have not done the trip in the winter so good advice! I know about the boarder village but as you said, everyone is there. I like the idea of finding a tree away from everything to camp under. Mind you, it will prob be in the car, not the tent like the summer months.lol...

I have been looking around for the sight seeing spots and I remember our last trip well. But things change and I hoped for the better as far as camp spots go.

I think the norseman road is worth it as well and will check with the shire as to its condition.

Is the dis-used microwave site well signposted?

Eric
FollowupID: 683511

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 16:30

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 16:30
Hi Eric,
Don't confuse the Border Village in SA on the border (where the quarantine checkpoint is) with Amber Motel, which is about 10km west of the border, right on the escarpment, near the old Eucla townsite. I'd say it's the pick of the two. Take time to check out the remains of the old Telegraph station and the remains of the jetty there. There is also Weebubbie cave about 10km west of Amber Motel, but it's now closed off due to falling rocks (worth a look from the top). There are some interesting blowholes out on the track there, which, if you're lucky, will be blowing. They're on the edge of the track on the edge of a claypan beyond the old microwave tower on the way to the cave.
If you've got time, check out Eyre Telegraph station (Eyre Bird Observatory), about 30km south of the highway, east of Cocklebiddy. If you're towing a trailer, you'll need to leave it at the top of Burnabbie Pass, as there is about 10km of sand track. Most interesting bit of our past.
Gerry

-
FollowupID: 683521

Follow Up By: ribz - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 17:13

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 17:13
Thanks for the info, digging into the maps as we speak!!!

I found some good links to do with rest stops as well!!

Rest stops

Rest Stops 2
FollowupID: 683525

Reply By: ribz - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 15:09

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 15:09
Hi Bob

Yes, we threw that idea around but its not just getting there, but the running around as well. Nothing better than having your own gear. Kids are looking forward to the trip as well and the cruiser has LPG.

Time, well, we dont spend enough of it together so no problem there and theres nothing like a road trip!!

Yes, it will be winter but hey, we are going to the snow. Beats dealing with the heat I reckon.

Thanks

AnswerID: 413424

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 18:38

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 18:38
Hi Ribz,

A visit to the whale watching areas at the Head of the Bight is a must - in July there should be cows with calves in there, and so close to land. magnificent. Sealed road in from the highway. Entrance fee not too bad either. Dress warmly though as it will be windy and take a thermos if you plan to stay for a while.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 413461

Follow Up By: ribz - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 19:17

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 19:17
Hi Val

Thanks very much!! I have been told the whales are very speckie!!!

Yes, it will be cold and windy but hey, thats the trip we are doing this year!! It will be time to dig out the woolies and thermals again. Looking forward to it and to hit the snow again. It will be the first time the kids have seen the snow so should be interesting.

2 months to go so we are starting to prep now.

Thanks

Eric
FollowupID: 683554

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 19:20

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 19:20
Sitting in the Eucla van park right now at $15/ double no power and just watched the sun set. Hey but I'm still on SA time so it set at 6.30 Magic!! Fuel here is 108 cents for LPG and 161 for ULP. Will be 80 and 136 in Ceduna. Pity you have to rush across for the snow though a regular traveller reckons the scrub is looking pretty good. It's like a bonsai garden...... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 413468

Follow Up By: ribz - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 19:35

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 19:35
WOW!! I thought LPG would be more than that. They were selling LPG in Perth for 81.9/ltr!! What a rourt!!

$15 is my kind of price!! lol.... Are there many people around on the roads at the moment? I reckon it would be nice at the moment, cool nights but enjoyable days.

Where are you guys heading to?? Did you get at Eucla non stop from perth or have stopped at other places??
FollowupID: 683563

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 08:49

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 08:49
This is the cheapest servo at Eucla. The border has LPG at 118 and petrol/diesel for 172 with Nullarbor being the dearest at 119 and 175. We have just woken to the heaviest dew with the plastic windows on the van dripping and even the gravel on the ground is wet. The $15 will cover up to 6 people ( $1 for a shower) and yes it was very cool at 13.5 degrees minimum. Today should reach a pleasant 24.
We are heading west and are dawdling as we are following tips in Ron Moon's book -Across the Bight and Nullarbor. It's turned a boring drive into an adventure. We have been camping on clifftops and beside beaches and slowing down and it's working..... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 683610

Follow Up By: ribz - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 12:03

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 12:03
Sounds like a great time!! Thanks very much for your info and I hope you have a wonderful time for the remainder of your trip!!

I have lots of digging to do for info and that will keep me busy before we head off? This site has been a great info place and I will sift through peoples trips for more advice.

Stay safe and enjoy!!

Eric
FollowupID: 683626

Sponsored Links