Anderson plug

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 14:33
ThreadID: 77812 Views:2515 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Gidday all,

I have a grey Anderson plug fitted to the back of my vehicle and the other to the camper trailer.
I am disappointed with the plug as over dirt roads it tends to rattle out. Maybe I am wrong, but i thought this type of plug would clip together and remain that way or did i get a dud?
Is there another type of plug that can handle the rigours of off road?

Cheers

Greg
Tomorrow is here!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 14:41

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 14:41
Greg,
something is wrong as they are great plugs, robust and don't come apart easily.

The plug may have been assembled wrong or for some reason the tension has gone out of the spring steel inserts that retain the contact pins.

AnswerID: 413416

Reply By: Tenpounder (SA) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 14:45

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 14:45
Hi there. I remember, some time back, when I bought a pair of Andersons to upgrade the 12v supply to the caravan's notorious 12v Electrolux fridge. (But we won't talk about that now!!)
I had some strife with the installation, and it was because the cable must sit properly in the casing, and the actual contacts must be correctly located in the casings as well, otherwise they will not lock in properly. So the fixing of the cables into the contacts must not distort the 'lie' of the contacts, and the contacts must sit correctly into the grey plastic mouldings.
In my case, it was impossible until I got it right, and dead easy once I did get it right.
If your joints a rattling loose, I'd bet the contacts are not properly aligned within the casings, and so can't click together properly.
AnswerID: 413418

Follow Up By: Member - Greg H (NT) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 15:09

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 15:09
I reckon I have the same problem that you had. One of the pins seems loose. How do you get the pins out? The electrician (expert?) installed mine and i didn't see him do it.

Greg
Tomorrow is here!

FollowupID: 683508

Follow Up By: Tenpounder (SA) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 15:17

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 15:17
All I can recall is a suitable mixture of rude words, a screwdriver, pliers and brute force. But the scientific use of the screwdriver won out! This allowed me to withdraw the connector in question, melt and resolder the joint, and then reassemble.

Sorry, but I really can't fill in the blanks so long after the event. But I can say that, if an autoelectrician fitted it, then he can also fix it!!
It may be simpler to sacrifice the faulty connector and simply buy a new one, or else take up the kind offer from your fellow Territorian
FollowupID: 683509

Reply By: Member - Noel K (NT) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 15:00

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 15:00
Hey Greg,
Something wrong there, I have quite a few Anderson's with no troubles. If you are in Darwin send me a member message and I'll see if I can help.

Noel K.
AnswerID: 413421

Reply By: Member - Greg H (NT) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 15:15

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 15:15
Problem solved. One of the pins was not in correctly, had a fiddle and bingo. I'm happy now!

Cheers

Greg
Tomorrow is here!

AnswerID: 413425

Reply By: Mandrake's Solar Power- Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 17:01

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 17:01
I bought some pins for 10-12 size cable the other day and they don't "snap" click like the size 6 ones - perhaps you have these in instead of the size 6 ones ??

There should be a audible click when the 2 connectors are put together ..

Cheers

Steve

AnswerID: 413444

Sponsored Links