Bogged in sand.

Submitted: Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 13:51
ThreadID: 7783 Views:3877 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Haven't had the problem before but I have come close a couple of times. I am looking for advice for when bogged in sand mainly but I guess it cqan apply anywhere, with a winch but no trees or ground anchor. Do you just bury a spare or do you use star droppers or a combination of both. If both how do you rig them? We have so little time to enjoy our land
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 14:25

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 14:25
Drop tyre pressure lower and lower. You have air compressor with you - right ?
AnswerID: 33600

Reply By: Tony - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 14:29

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 14:29
David I reckon, before you get to the bogged bit you have already lowered your tyres.

As you feel the vehicle bogging down and forward momentem begins to slow stop driving and lower tyres even further and you may find you can back out.

But if you have done everything right and still get bogged, I don't think star pickets will hold very well in sand, a ground anchor is flat out doing it some times, you only have the spare tyre to act as a ground anchor, and it has to be burried quite deep to do the job.

Exhahst jacks work very well in this situation as well.
AnswerID: 33602

Reply By: flappan - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 15:05

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 15:05
Very rarely would you be carrying around star pickets for "what if's" .

You should always have a spare wheel and a shovel . . .

Bury the bugger
AnswerID: 33604

Reply By: Willie - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 17:53

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 17:53
G'day David,

Should you need to get yourself out of a bogged situation in sand with no trees in sight then bury the spare wheel completely at a 45 degree angle away from you. Slip a tyre lever or piece of steel or lump of wood behind the spare and hook your winch cable or a snatchblock up to it.

Droppers/star pickets are useful but an antiquated way of recovery and in sand they do not offer too much resistance plus it is a whole rigmarole to set them up.

A bull bag is handyto have in sand but they are not suitable for all vehicles. I bought one for my truck and found out that there are only two places where I can use the bag under the vehicle. Lesson learned.

Best is to try not to get bogged in sand but it happens when you least expect it.

Cheers

WillieNever a dull moment
AnswerID: 33628

Reply By: Member - Tony- Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 19:51

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 19:51
Go and get 4 offcuts of carpet about 50cm wide and about 2.5m long. Should cost you next to nothing and doesn't take up too much space when rolled up. Only use them for sand.

When you are bogged in sand, you dig out a bit, put one under each wheel and drive away. Beats hacking the country side for 'living' traction.

regards
AnswerID: 33643

Reply By: bluehealer - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 19:59

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 19:59
would it be possible to use a plough anchor from whitworth marine when bogged in sand for a winching point.i know its for a boat,but its a lot cheaper than the arb ground anchor?
AnswerID: 33646

Follow Up By: basecamp15 - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 22:08

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 22:08
I've heard this practice can be dangerous as the anchor can leap out of the sand under load whereas a proper ground anchor is designed to keep digging itself in under load.
I've only heard this but I do query it as I thought a plough anchor also did that, just a less technologically advanced (and therefore cheaper) design.
Another possibility is these anchors were not designed to take such loads, unless of course you get a real big one which will then cost about the same as a true ground anchor and be a lot heavier.
I'd like to hear more reports on the subject.
FollowupID: 24174

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 23:24

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 23:24
Sea anchors only work properly when the stem of the anchor is weighed down on the sea bed by a heavy length of chain thus keeping the nose or point digging into the sea bed but not burying itself. If you have a really muddy sea bottom you really need a heap of chain.
So, this all seems a bit useless, especially if you have soft dry sand.
Carpets a crook idea, it's bulky and stinks when it gets wet.

Willies suggestions are spot on but I'll add another 2 cents worth.
I like to multi-task anything I take on a trip, if possible. If a bull bag looks like it might press into sharp edges use an old corn sack or cloths, bedding etc to protect the bag from the sharpies.
Best multi extra we carry is a couple of big sheets of Sarlon (shade cloth). Its tough, water resistant, light. Can be carried up on the roof rack, used as a hammock and for collecting timber on.
Best use is on ground under tent (protects base and stops sweating) and as a large mat out in front to keep tent interior clean ( the bigger the better) - now if you get bogged or look like getting bogged, guess what's getting dragged down off the roof rack - the big sand mat. It works.

FollowupID: 24194

Reply By: kezza - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 22:19

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 22:19
Pretty hard to bog a modern 4by in sand with a lsd in the rear and low tyre pressures unless you are starting off up hill or towing - I know lots do get bogged but Ill still maintain its 80% technique and skill 20% vehicle (lots of info here on 2wds in sand)
However do a search on "Joey" (Ignoring posts buy a guy named joey) and look for the posts that relate to mud and sand recovery and youll find out about a great recovery device for the solo traveller for sand and mud.

Kezza
AnswerID: 33661

Sponsored Links