Road & Sand Tyres for PA Challenger

Submitted: Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 15:03
ThreadID: 7786 Views:3998 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
HI, as I'm a newbie to 4x4, I'd appreciate some views on some new tyres. I've a 2002 PA Challenger with factory standard Bridgestone HT's (265/70 15). I'm running them at 32 psi up front and 30 psi in rear.

I'm not too sure if it's the chasis set-up or just poor tyres - however the vehicle is a shocker in the wet, tyres howl like banshees around corners at any speed and the rear end likes to snap out under moderate throttle. Other than that I'm rapt as it floated over the sand at Double Island and Fresh Water Creek Road without lowering pressures when other 4x4's were bogged.

Driving is mainly road and highway and some sand and gravel roads. So far the Dunlop PT1 and Cooper HT's have caught my attention. Any and all advice is welcome.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: flappan - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 16:22

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 16:22
Don't know where my last post went . . . .

Bridgestone HT's actually seem to work OK. Might be a tad underinflated (have you tried the 4 psi rule ??).

Do those Challengers still have leaf spring rear ends . . . or have they gone to coils (might explain the bad handling).
AnswerID: 33618

Follow Up By: dcamoore - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 17:16

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 17:16
It's got the coil springs. Regarding the (under) inflation the car's tyre placard recommends 26psi (total joke) - so I uped it to 30 with extra 2 psi for the front as it also has the weight of the transfer box to deal with as well.
FollowupID: 24124

Follow Up By: flappan - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 17:31

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 17:31
Forget the placard . . .

I use the 4 psi rule . . .

On my Patrol 34 front 36 Rear
On my Pajero 32 Front 34 Rear

Both have BFG AT's . . .

Might need to experiment a bit to see what difference pressures make.

You might find for the HT's (being basically a car tyre), you might need to bring them down a tad. (Haven't used HT's for years), rather then the higher pressures AT's normally run . . . (admit its guess work here).
FollowupID: 24126

Follow Up By: IAB - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 22:37

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 22:37
What is the 4 psi rule????
FollowupID: 24303

Follow Up By: cookie - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 17:05

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 17:05
Not sure where this theory came from or what it is based on but it seems to work OK. Basically it says that your tyres should increase pressure by 4psi from cold to hot.

Check you pressures cold then drive around for a while and check your pressure again when the tyres are warm, the pressure should increase due to the increased temperature in the tyres. 4 psi is the value that seems to be quoted. If the pressure increase is lower than this you have too much air in your tires, decrease your cold pressure. If the increase is over 4psi you don't have enough air in your tires, increase your cold pressure.

The extreme example of this is if you have deflated your tires to say 15psi on the beach and then drive to the nearest servo on the bitumen, feel the sidewalls of you tires and you'll be able to feel the heat generated. Careful not to overheat the sidewalls and cause a tyre failure.

Cookie.

FollowupID: 24387

Reply By: DODO(bendigo) - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 18:50

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 18:50
gday dcamoore.
my choice would be with out a doubt cooper h/t.
why because we sell them no just kidding we do sell them but thats what i use and couldnt be happier for on road performance they grip well in the wet very quiet and briliant on the sand.i cant coment on the dunlops never even heard of them.have had the h/t on the dirt and mud and snow on sunday there not quite as good as the s/t were but no complaints i have a set of muddys for hard weekends.
if your tyres are wearing flat and not wearing to much on the outside edges or wearing to much in the middle your pressures should be ok maybe put 32 in the rear.the reason the tyre placard says 26-28 is so when you drive the car it feels realy nice to drive not harsh or bumpy and theres no new car waranty on tyres.Raphus cucullatus
AnswerID: 33632

Reply By: tim_s - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 11:19

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 11:19
I have the same car, with the same tyres and the same problems. I am about to change them for Cooper AT's, so it will be interesting to see the difference. From new, the Bridgestone HT were crap, IMHO. Taking a corner at anything above a walk produced a squeal (but keep the windows up, A/C on and radio up and you hardly notice!). I generally run mine about the 34 mark, upping to 38 when loaded. The tyres have been nursed though 40k, but now are bordering on dangerous in the wet, so it is time to change. Wear seems to be more on the outside edge than inside, but I think this is true with most 4wd's due to the extra roll. Maybe it has something to do with tyre pressure - more intellegent people than myself should be able to comment.

Hope this helps
Tim
AnswerID: 33720

Reply By: cookie - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 15:56

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 15:56
I have a 98 challenger, rear leaf spring version, I purchased it with yokohama geolander H/T's on it, they were standard on the 98 model. I figured I would replace them but the guy I bought it off had just fitted new ones after getting 80000k's from the first set. So I left them on there and I've been very happy with them, I find them very good for my driving, road and beach work. In the wet they are fine, I was very tentative when I first got it having heard stories of different 4wd drive tyres being shocking in the wet, but you really have to push to get them to break loose and I drive quite hard in general. Recently turning right at a slippery intersection in the wet, pushing it a little bit as I was late, I looked in my rearview mirrow to see a dual cab courier fully sideways just behind me at what seemed to be a lower speed than I was travelling. I also drive a lowered commodore with yokohama A509's all round and that handles in the wet and I don't find the challenger bad at all. I'm quite impressed with it's ride and handling in general. Even with the leaf springs which I was little concerned about when I bought it as I was looking for a coil spring model. If you blind folded 10 people and put them in either car 9 of them wouldn't know the difference, only over speed humps.

I'm guessing your handling problems are tyre and pressure related. I run mine at 34-35psi on road.

Cookie.

AnswerID: 33749

Follow Up By: dcamoore - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 16:38

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 16:38
Thanks cookie & Eric - It's good to know that I'm not going completely crazy. Sounds as if I'll up the pressure by 2 psi to 34 psi and see what happens. The yokahma Ht's sound interesting, particularly the grip and milage bit. Can anyone else give some feed-back - as I'll what to get this bit right at $200 a pop.
FollowupID: 24378

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 21:46

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 21:46
DCAMOORE.
Correct Pressure is much more important than the brand of tyre, the reason you challenger howls on corners when you are powering is because it has a very effective diff lock, the locker is set up to work when the vehicle is loaded so it is a bit savage when empty. as you get used to the vehicle you will find just the right power to use on corners. Eric.
AnswerID: 33810

Reply By: Member - Scotti - Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 17:08

Saturday, Oct 25, 2003 at 17:08
I have a Challenger 2000 and had Pirelli Scorpion A/T fitted.

Inflated to 40psi they were fantastic in the wet and dry and also good offroad.

I have now gone to Yokohama Super digger inflated to 40psi with pretty much the same result on road but havent been off road yet but predict the more aggresive tread pattern will be slightly better than scorpions off road.Gregory Rock on the _Kalbarri.aspx.
AnswerID: 35083

Sponsored Links