Probably an unanswerable question

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 21:08
ThreadID: 77912 Views:3038 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Gidday

Back in the late fifties we worked on a property about 15 - 20 KLMS East of Euroa. I think the property owners name was Kennedy, but I might be wrong because we moved around a bit.

One day the property owner’s daughter and I climbed a hill at the back, to shoot rabbits and came across an old fella living in bark hut. He was a pretty kind old guy, but I always remember the number of cans of Pineapple tins he had stacked away in the hut.

He also had three nags. On the third visit; he offered to take us for a ride.
I think I was eleven years old back then, and my step father always said ‘check the girth strap before you ride’.

On this occasion I didn’t, and finished upside down underneath the horse on the trot. There’s a few rock up in that country and I reckon I copped most of them on the head. LOL

Does anyone have any knowledge of this old hut? It would mean a lot to me to sit there one day, and think about those times.

I've looked on Google Earth, but I can't identify the property, or the back country adjacent to it. Maybe there's an historical organisation I can talk to.

Regards

Kim

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 21:49

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 21:49
Kim
The area you are talking about is it Gooram or Strathbogie, Iv'e got a mate who lives at Ruffy and his family was one of the original settlers. He's in his mid 70s now and can name people and properties in a 30/40 km radius of Ruffy from the earlier years. I will give him a call and see if he knows anything.

Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 413840

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 22:07

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 22:07
Murray.

Many thank for that, we did a lot of trapping and Wattle barking in the Ruffy area during those years. Can you also ask him if he remembers the Page family please?

I really do appreciate your response.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 684029

Follow Up By: BuggerBoggedAgain - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 22:09

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 22:09
Thats what I love about this Forum

Kim asking about a place in the back of woop woop 60 yrs ago and someone (Murray) has the answer, incredible, so much info stored in ppls memory banks, if only I could "break into those banks,I could make millions".
FollowupID: 684030

Follow Up By: Member - Murray R (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 22:20

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 22:20
Kim
What year were you trapping etc in Ruffy, MM me your surname , my mate might know you.

Murray
Another Mexican

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 684033

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 01:30

Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 01:30
"if only I could "break into those banks,I could make millions".

Hi BBA, I don't think enough of us listened to those Old guys who were around about a hundred years ago now, before tvs we use to sit around talking and those people use to tell a lot of stories, I wished I had written down half of them, my memory is fading fast and no one left to ask. Ahh the stories they could tell, probably not all true and a lot out of a bottle but still good stories non the less.

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 684045

Follow Up By: Mick O - Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 06:29

Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 06:29
My paternal grandfather taught school in that area from the mid 30's into the war years. Ernie Olsen. His old school is just a stand of poplars and other trees now. Can't recall the exact name of the area. Father and uncle were both born at Euroa as a result. Nan always had funny stories of the Strathbogie home guard during the early war years running around with flour bombs as substitutes for grenades.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 684047

Follow Up By: Rockape - Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 06:48

Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 06:48
Mick,

some were issued with wooden rifles.

When cofronted with a foe, they would say. Halt who goes there and if you don't halt I will fill you full of white ants.

Have a good one
FollowupID: 684049

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 08:06

Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 08:06
Hi Kim

A group in our area (Yarck) has a labour of love in which they maintain a huge collection and database of photo's of the general area up to the Strathbogies.

Just had bi-annual showing at easter and at least 1 other exploroz member I was with had a ball tracing school day stuff back into 60's from nearby Merton I'lll try an ask a few questions.

Rockape - Hi a lot of bullbars we manufacture in melbourne are on those trucks in the big roundup loop.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 684058

Reply By: Hamster - Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 12:21

Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 12:21
Hi Kim,

No such thing as an unanswerable question, you've just got to ask the right people.

I recall my dad taking me up into this area to visit an old hermit when I was a tad younger (I intend to live forever - doing well so far) presumably to look at/talk about stud sheep which was his passion.

The only thing I can really remember about the visit, apart from the challenging track to get there (at least, it seemed like it back then!) was the aforementioned cans of pineapple. It seemed the old fella had some sort of ailment - presumably self diagnosed - the cure or relief for which was a diet comprising significant amounts of honey and pineapple. Possibly more but I wasn't told!

If this is the same person, then the name you're after is old Jimmy Ellis, and he lived in the area of Horsegully Road, according to some friends who live in the area.

Sadly, as you might imagine, old Jimmy and the hut are long gone.

Hope this may be useful.

Cheers

Noel
AnswerID: 413892

Reply By: Kim and Damn Dog - Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 20:18

Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 20:18
Gidday

First of all I feel like a bit of dill. I meant Violet Town, not Euroa (all through we lived in many places around that area as itinerant workers).

You blokes are just great with all your help.

I think Noel answered the question. It sounds like the same person if he was up in the Hills. I'll Google that area tonight.

Many thanks to you all.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 413941

Sponsored Links