Telstra Bigpond.. It it down??

Submitted: Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 18:29
ThreadID: 7792 Views:2355 Replies:10 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Is anyone having problems with Telstra Bigpond Dial up connection.
I am in Mackay and just cant get the computer to connect. I am having to use another "just in case " internet account.

My computer reports an error trying to log in.

Is it me or them??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willie - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 18:51

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 18:51
I am on line in South Oz with Telstra Bigpond. They crashed about two weekends ago for three days. Best you can do is ring 133933 and follow the idiot voice prompts. Have you checked your modem?
Cheers
Willie
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 33633

Reply By: paul - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 18:51

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 18:51
even their broadband has been bleep e for the last few days, in brissie anyhow. they are blaming it on some sort of virus.
AnswerID: 33634

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 19:33

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 19:33
If its down how log this?
AnswerID: 33640

Reply By: joc45 - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 19:52

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 19:52
I believe Bigpond and a few others have been having major problems lately apparently. Telstra were blaming new software problems for both dialup and broadband.
My broadband email was crook over most of the weekend, initially I could send emails but couldn't receive, and when emails did come thru, they were up to 18 hrs delayed. Logging onto the web was fine on broadband during this time. A call to the help line left me waiting for 25 mins. A guy (funny, they all sound Indian now) indicated a 12hr fix time.
And I couldn't log onto my webmail account. When I finally could, all saved emails were deleted, lost forever into the big bit bucket.
Great stuff
Gerry
AnswerID: 33644

Follow Up By: joc45 - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 00:38

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 00:38
Obviously still crook.... an email across the city took over 6 hours to get to me.
FollowupID: 24199

Follow Up By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 09:41

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 09:41
thats it. They did an upgrade on the software on their mail servers which was riddled with bugs. This has caused massive delays in email delivery times. What ever happened to testing?
FollowupID: 24211

Follow Up By: joc45 - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 13:59

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 13:59
Sadly, it's a case of diminshing returns wrt software testing.
If you hold out on releasing the product, testing it till you reckon you've nailed all the bugs, your opposition already has a product out there killing you.
So you release the product in half-baked form, and let the customer find the bugs, and with the help of a team of spin doctors, blame other sources for the problem and gradually get the bugs fixed.
Standard procedure these days.
FollowupID: 24353

Reply By: rickster - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 21:59

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 21:59
I've been having problems with telstra bigpond for a while now.I emailed them to ask them what the problem was and they told me it must be my moderm,so i had my computer looked at,turned out that there was nothing wrong with it.My opinion 18 cents per dial up,kicked off ten times a day,no wonder telstra is making so much money!!!!!!!!!!
AnswerID: 33657

Reply By: kezza - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 22:19

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 22:19
Them! - check out Iprimus

http://www.iprimus.com.au/

They are another carrier with their own fibre optic network in Aust

Been with them for 4 years and NEVER had a problem (in Qld) Been Voted best ISP a few years running and far cheaper than Bigpond and others.

Also doesnt hurt to support the competition as you can imaging how bad it would get if Telstra was a monopoly. As it is they never admit theres a problem

Kes
AnswerID: 33662

Reply By: Paul - Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 22:47

Monday, Oct 13, 2003 at 22:47
Hi,
I'm with Telstra Bigpond, sometimes it takes up to three calls to stay connected for an hour. I reckon its another of Telstra's scams to ring more money out of the user. Unfortunately I live in Mt Isa & there is not a lot of other ISP's.
Paul
AnswerID: 33670

Reply By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 11:57

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 11:57
Theyre idiot voice prompts (as willie calls it) are a bit inane if one thinks about it.
When I cant connect, I ring the adsl help desk, as your never sure if its you or them, and somewhere while following the prompts one eventually hears the recorded message that 'the network status can be checked" etc by going to www.telstra.com.au and click on the status page etc etc etc.

what good is this if I cant connect???? if I can connect then i really dont need to know if adsl is working... do I?

Wow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
AnswerID: 33723

Reply By: Willie - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 18:06

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 18:06
I am only with Telstra because they send you a bill at the end of the month. Have not found another ISP who will do that. They all want your Credit Card in advance. Last year I finally cut up the credit cards and life has been a lot easier since. So I am stuck with Telstra. Have not had many dropouts though in the past 12 months and cannot complain about the service. Heaven help us if Telstra goes private. I fear for the worst........!!
Cheers
Willie
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 33769

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 11:57

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 11:57
Haven't had any trouble accessing bigpond dial-up. Apparently they had trouble a couple of weeks ago with their email server but I was still getting my emails. BUT, after months and months of work putting our family web-site together I tried to upload it a couple of weeks ago and no go. Keeps knocking back my password! Called Telstra technical support twice and they confirmed my password was right (like I didn't already know that) and no, they can't really explain why its being knocked back during the upload process except they reckon it was a problem with their ftp server and their techo's were working on it but after a week of trying I've given up. I'm thinking about hitting them up for a discount on my monthly bigpond fee since they are not supplying me with my 10Mb web-site that is included as part of the services I am paying for! Won't hold my breath though!

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 33868

Sponsored Links