Touring Tents

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 09:19
ThreadID: 77982 Views:2784 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi - We have a heavy duty touring tent with the single centre pole, etc..but I find taking the square frame out of the roof a bit of a hassle - the tent doesn't pack up as easily when it's left in there however. Anyone solved this or is it as simple as getting over it and assembling the frame every time?? I love simple. Cheers Nigel.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kirko2 - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 10:18

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 10:18
Hi Nige,
We used a Tourer 9RV Oz Trail tent for 3 months last year (76 nights) and we got very good at folding it into its bag - we never took out the roof frame. As long as you keep the pegs in the ground and pull frame to centre back of the tent take pegs out and then fold in the sides tightly the frame then dictates the size of the roll. During the process we always walked over it to get all the air out and it then fitted into its bag. The tent was not the issue in out case it was finding the good ground to put pegs into - contrary to belief the desert is not sandy but very rocky. Good luck
AnswerID: 414192

Reply By: George_M - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 10:29

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 10:29
I'm with Kirko2 - don't take the top frame out.

This link may be helpfull. This process works well with both our Freedom and COI tents - just takes a few dry runs in the back yard.

Good luck!

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 414194

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 11:38

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 11:38
We used to have a single pole tent like yours and never removed the square hoop in the top.I guess each brand would be differant but with ours you actually grabbed the hoop and twisted it around, sort of screwing the canvas in as you twisted, then fold up around the hoop.Ours was an extended model and folded up to about 1m sq. and 200mm high.
AnswerID: 414199

Reply By: Grum4wding - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 18:19

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 18:19
We too use one of those tents and my problem is not setting up, or packing it up, its finding somewhere in the car for it. It needs to be the 1st thing out and the last thing put back away.
I dont want it on the roof rack, It takes up too much room on top of the draws , so as we are only 2 traveling in a 80 series I removed the back seats and the tent slides into its own spot behind the passenger seat. It seems to work well.
AnswerID: 414236

Sponsored Links