Cobourg Peninsula, NT...whose been?

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 11:18
ThreadID: 77987 Views:5588 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
We're contemplating a week or so on Cobourg Peninsula, NT around Jul/Aug this year. Maps show a 4WD track up to a camp ground at Black Point. Just wondering if anyone's been recently and can shed some light on the track in, the scenery, campground, fuel, crocs, mozzies, etc. Was it a worthwhile place to visit? Also wondering if our Defender [towing an offroad CT] would find it easy going or challenging. Thanks in advance for any comments.
cheers, greenextreme
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 12:00

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 12:00
Having been there twice over the years the main activity is fishing preferably from a boat minimum 16ft in my experience, we had a 12 footer with a 15hp and it struggled against the tides.
The first time you go it is interesting to explore all the beaches and limited 4wd tracks available. the second time we were over it by the time we left.
Apparently these days there are no facilities except for cold water showers and long drop loo's at the two campsites. No fuel or supplies available, lots of bities in the air and a few in the water.
When we first went there was a store selling basic supplies and fuel if you really needed it as well as a visitor centre with displays, not sure if it is till open as it was getting very tired on our last visit. There were also boat trips to Victoria Settlement but these are now not available either, one of the main reasons for our making the trip.
You are not allowed to stop/camp on the way between Cahills Crossing and Black Point except for comfort and lunch stops.
The road is pretty good although can be very corrugated and sandy at the northern end. We towed a hardfloor Cub camper both times, caravans are not allowed.
AnswerID: 414201

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 13:37

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 13:37
Having been there with a permit for 10days (left after 7) I personaly would not go back as there are far too many restrictions as to where you can go --most tracks closed except for rangers.Even the jetty was off bounds as it was considered unsafe yet the army arrived while I was there and offloaded all there gear via the jetty.Not much fish was caught from the shore and as said you will need something bigger than a dinghy to get out where the fish are.The track in is not that bad but I had a much better time in Eastern Arnham around Gove.
AnswerID: 414210

Follow Up By: Member - Barry (NT) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 20:09

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 20:09
Yep rangers known to close tracks for some reason - their use has been suggested many times.

Sprang rangers closing tracks in Litchfield Park about 14 years ago,,, but they used em and had BBQ spots etc -- they hadn't gazetted tracks closed but put barricades up anyway

they didn't like us going up Walker Creek also,,, they had their own pinic spot close by

it happens - I've sailed to Coburg numerous times magnifcient scenery,,, driving is another matter -- friends loved Wilgi

give it a go or you'll never know
FollowupID: 684463

Reply By: Member - Margaret B (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 16:35

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 16:35
We went up to Coburgh last august, stayed the 10 days, towed a hard floor Aussie Swag C/T. We also went on 2 boat trips, one to Victoria Settlement ruins and a fishing charter with Trevor Housie, he took us out to an island retreat for lunch, great day out.On way out we stayed 3 nights at Wilgi Aboriginal outstation, had a great time, will need another permit from Wilgi to travel there and stay. We plan to revist in 2011.
AnswerID: 414222

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 18:08

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 18:08
Gooday greenextreme,
This link to GarigGunak NP will give you a lot of info and you can download the fact sheet/map from here as well
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 414234

Reply By: lizard - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 19:55

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 19:55
Went there in 2003 , left a day before permit expired - were eaten alive by sandflies & mosquitos .... won't go back .
AnswerID: 414248

Reply By: greenextreme - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 21:59

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 21:59
Thanks everyone for the comments. Sounds easy to access, and possibly some good scenery, but downfall is limited tracks / freedom and those pesky sandflies and mozzies. All up, probably damed if you do and damed if you don't. I'll do some more research and in all likelihood decide when we're up near Jabiru.

Meanwhile, anyone able to provide good recommendations for the Gove Peninsula as an alternative place to visit, 4WD, fish, camp, exlpore etc..? Or perhaps somewhere else around Arnhem Land that's a must visit?

Thanks again.
AnswerID: 414271

Reply By: Member - lyndon NT - Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 23:46

Sunday, Apr 25, 2010 at 23:46
What you will generally find is that people will either love Cobourg or bag it, many leave after just a few days. We loved it! It is a place where you need to entertain yourself, this doesn’t suit some people. The drive in is spectacular, take your time and enjoy it! Our advice would be not to take a boat, the trade winds will be blowing and it will be to rough even for a large boat. Get a cast net if you don’t already have one(learn how to use it before you leave home). There is good fishing from the beach with lots of bait fish easily caught by cast net. As for crocs, we didn’t see any but I’m sure they are there, rivers are more of a issue than the sea. Nonetheless a few tips, wearing Polaroid glasses helps you see into the water, my partner also stood at the top of the beach while I was using the net so she had a very good view, I also got out of the water any time cloud came over as this made the water go dark. You shouldn’t need to go much deeper than knee deep. We saw a huge variety of marine life, a huge turtle, Dolphin, lots of sting rays, heaps of sharks, mud crabs, baby turtle tracks in the sand, as well as Dingo’s, Bentang cattle (they are dark in colour but have white bums ) etc . The trip to the Victoria settlement is well worthwhile and in 2008 cost $100 PP, we thought it was good value. The store was closed when we where there, so yes you need to take everything in with you but as most stay for only a week or 10 days (we stayed 10) it’s not really an issue. Before I forget, you need to book early and if you stay for 8 days you have to pay for another full week! The showers and toilets were good all considered, take you own drinking water. There are two campsites camp 1 and camp 2, 2 being for generators though the campsites at no 2 are about 100 meters apart, closer at camp 1. Camp one will get almost no breeze as it is surrounded by dense foliage, I would think it will have a lot more bities too! The main supply issue for us was fuel, about 350km in and out, what we didn’t expect was the driving we did to go to different beaches each day, this added up to about 300km over 10 days, so allow for this. The rangers were very helpful.
Anything else we can help with drop us a line.

Cheers Lyndon & Bernadette

Ps, reading the other posts I'm guessing they were in camp 1, we had no insect issues at all at camp 2.
As for Gove, awesome, you will need more than a week or two to make it worthwhile though.
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 414286

Sponsored Links