waeco CF 50 Fridge

Hi all,

I have a CF 50 fridge which i bought about 8yrs or so ago it has been a good fridge but recently every time we use it the fridge freezes everything and its only set on 1 or the first dot.
It has the older type bars or dots not the digital display and has the mobitronic 12/24V rectifier.
The fridge just seems to run flat out we have to turn it off over night or we wake up to frozen everything.
Has anyone else experienced this if so can you help me solve the problem?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bmwrider - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 21:50

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 21:50
Just check to see if the emergency switch has been turned on. This is normally used when the thermostat fails, like two of mine have.

Regards

Garry
AnswerID: 414516

Follow Up By: Stormchaser - Thursday, Apr 29, 2010 at 18:22

Thursday, Apr 29, 2010 at 18:22
Garry,

It looks like your on the money i checked the emergency switch and it was turned on, Beats me how it got switched on i guess it got bumped some how?
Seems to be working now but i keep an eye on it just in case.
Thanks all for you input.
FollowupID: 684918

Follow Up By: Allan B, Sunshine Coast, - Thursday, Apr 29, 2010 at 18:25

Thursday, Apr 29, 2010 at 18:25
So does Gary get the carton of stubbies? LOL

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 684921

Reply By: Member - TJ (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 22:01

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 22:01
That has happened to mine and heaps of others CF50's. If it's the standard problem that lots of them suffer then your thermister is buggered. Cost me about $130 to have repaired at Waeco on the Gold Coast in September last year.

TJ...
AnswerID: 414518

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 06:59

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 06:59
This reply was put up on the forum a while ago. I kept it cause I have the same fridge just in case.

Waeco CF50 fridge thermistor replacement
Submitted: Monday, Sep 08, 2008 at 18:07
Fat Terry
My Waeco CF50 recently decided to freeze everything solid for the second time in its life. The first fault was fixed under warranty, as was the warped lid.

The second fault I decided to fix myself, like the intermittent 12V power connector, the faulty interior light connection (replaced with high intensity LEDs) and the non-responsive buttons.

I found this post Waeco CF50 Thermistor archive during my research and thought Id post a follow up - which requires a new post on account of it having been archived. There would have to be plenty of folks out there with the same fault, which notably is the thermistor itself which had gone out of calibration rather than it having fallen off its mounting.

With already having had this fixed once I was able to 'reverse engineer' the fix. This is simply to remove the outer casing around the compressor, remove the compressor bolts, drop the compressor down a few centimeters, drill a hole through the insulation, glue a new thermistor to the evaporator then insulate and seal it all up again. If you're the type of person that's comfortable dismantling things its quite straightforward, providing you're capable of drilling a hole though the insulation but not into the evaporator.

I would post pictures and a disclaimer about my care but lack of responsibility should you ruin your fridge/life/wife etc, but there's no need. When you order a spare thermistor if you ask nicely it comes with clear instructions and suitable thermal mounting paste/glue. All for $22 plus postage.

Its all very straightforward. I anticipate saving around $300 by doing this repair myself should the fridge last as long as 3 years assuming the failure rate is around once every 2 to 3 years, which it would appear to be in my circumstances.

Interestingly the fridge has run quite happily almost continuously for over 12 months. It was only when it was switched off for a week that the thermistor failed almost immediately upon restarting.

I hope this is of some use to someone out there some day.

Regards,Bob.

AnswerID: 414545

Reply By: Gossy - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 12:29

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 12:29
same thing has just happened to mine but also it doesn't turn off (lights go out but the motor keeps running). One day and my battery is dead flat.

Mine is in getting fixed now (out of warranty). I'm hoping it's going to be around the $200 to $250 mark. If it's $300 and above I have asked him not to fix it and I will buy a new one in warranty.
AnswerID: 414579

Reply By: Allan B, Sunshine Coast, - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 12:42

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 12:42
Whilst the fault causing continuous running and hence freezing may well be a faulty thermistor it *ain't necessarily so*.

In my case the Waeco CF35 temperature was set by a slider type control which allowed for either no running or continuous running depending on where you positioned the slider. Clearly the control, an electronic potentiometer was faulty.

Rather than replace it with a similar component which are dodgy devices anyway, I substituted it with a two-position switch and a couple of resistors which allowed selection of either "Cold" (4c) or "Freeze" (- 5c).

Not suggesting that you or anyone else should do this. Just pointing out that not every temperature control problem is a failed thermistor.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 414580

Sponsored Links