How to fix a broken zip on flap of a poptop caravan

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 21:59
ThreadID: 78045 Views:12399 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have a Jayco poptop and one of the zips on the front flap has broken, the teeth aren't gripping. Does anyone have any suggestions other than taking the top off that we may be able to use?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 22:38

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 22:38
I take it the zip is not closing behind the slider, correct?

Get a pair of pliers or multigrips, and 'judiciously' squeeze the back end of the slider together... the idea is to 'tighten it up a bit'...

If there are no broken or bent teeth, the above should do the trick..

see how ya go with that...

Oh yeah, good idea also to dry lube 'em fairly regularly...

;-))

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 414527

Reply By: Adey - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 08:08

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 08:08
If the pliers trick does not (which it should for a while at least) then take to a canvas supplier/repair place and get them to replace the 'sliders' with nickel ones. Should cost circa $50.00 for two. Hope that helps.
AnswerID: 414554

Reply By: carlsp - Thursday, Apr 29, 2010 at 08:04

Thursday, Apr 29, 2010 at 08:04
Matt this is one of the worst problems with a pop up.

Try the pliers but at the same time lubricate with Selleys silicone spray. Not another brand as they leave a residue and dust will be attracted. They it will become worse.

Most canvas guys will not touch this job as, a repair might involve taking the PVC skirt off the aravan and they never go back on again. Correctly that it.

If you feel that taking it off is the only solution do it yourself and take it to a canvas guy. You might find it easier (considering cost) to hand stitch a new zipper on before removing the old one.
AnswerID: 414655

Sponsored Links