Turbo Deisel 60 Series NO warmup needed

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 11:04
ThreadID: 7809 Views:1814 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
My housemates have a friend staying with us for a few weeks. My housemate has been a great guy and lent his pride and joy (60 series turbo deisel) for her to drive the time she is here.

She did the right thing and called home last night while she was out and about visiting friends. "Just wanted to make sure I put deisel in it, I think that is what he said to do". "Yep, deisel - MUST BE DEISEL - I say back", cringing at the though of what would happen as the fuel pump happily pushed unleaded for a minute or so and then bang....

Just now I am sitting on the computer which is just near where the Cruiser is parked. Normally I am used to my housemate starting the engine and it idles for 3 seconds and then the low oil pressure switch cuts the engine and he has to restart it. Always starts on the second go and he lets it sit and idle for about 30 seconds while he goes through the formalities that guys do and then then slowly up the road at say 1500 rpm, then change, 1500rpm, change and up the street at 30-40km/h as it warms up.

Ok, she is off to Phillip Island today. Running a little late as girls do, but at least she has deisel in the tank. Well, bugger me if she hasn't found a way around the low oil pressure cutout. You start it with your foot about half way down and let it run at 3000rpm for a bit and then it won't cut out. After about 5 seconds of that you are right to go. Then I had to sit here in pity for the old 4 litre rattler as she went up the road with 3000rpm gear changes and no warm up.

Some people might thing I am a little harsh, but as I was talking to him on messenger at the same time, I had to tell him. Needless to say he is not happy.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Andrew - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 11:38

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 11:38
Did your housemate actually took time and explain how to start and stop and drive a diesel 4WD.
90 % of people driving normal petrol cars would not have an idea how to drive diesel.
AnswerID: 33722

Follow Up By: Offie - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 11:48

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 11:48
Yes I did, but you know what some people are like about cars.
They just drive them, they don't car how they work or how to look after them. I am sure the old girl will be able to handle some minor abuse. (Fingers crossed)
FollowupID: 24221

Follow Up By: Andrew - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 11:56

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 11:56
Hope it will be worth it ;)
FollowupID: 24222

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 12:30

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 12:30
Gday
I bet when he drives it next, it will go alot better:-) No pun intended. The old saying about not loaning the car sounds true here, (treat it as if its your better half).
You have to give her credit for finding a way around that low oil pressure problem, and in all honesty, those motors can take a BIT of abuse like that
Andrew wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 33724

Reply By: haze - Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 19:12

Tuesday, Oct 14, 2003 at 19:12
I mentioned on a previous post (re 80s turbo big end probs.) a mate who blew TWO motors I believe by a similar driving technique, ie because the direct injection donk starts so readily its easier to just leave it in 1st.,right foot well into the "go pedal", leave the clutch alone, turn the key and presto "lift off." So by the time oil had got to the now squeaking big ends third gear was about to be engaged. Warm up? Whats that?? Last I heard he is now trying to demolish a Nissan using the same method. To my way of thinking, apart from your priceless 4by, there are 3 other things you should never lend out. Your mower, chainsaw and the missus. They always get returned stuffed!
cheers haze
AnswerID: 33773

Reply By: Melsa - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 12:34

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 12:34
Hi everyone (excuse the non 4WD lingo in this story, I am a self confessed no diesal knowledge woman). Thought I would add my two bobs worth as I am the girlfriend of the guy who lent THE 4WD to my friend, to help the girl get around.

Yes I understand that it his pride and joy, but when a friend is arriving back in the country from a 3 year OE and has stopped off in Melbourne (before travelling to NZ) to see her best friend, everybody is working during the day, she has flown on her points, so her date to get home is three weeks away, what is a friend to do. So I offered the car (as most of the time it sits there during the week) as a mode of transport, so she can get around as the celica is being used daily and the guy does have a Motorbike to zip around on.

Besides it was a joint effort in buying the 4WD, so its not just the guy who owns it (need I say more). And can I say more........... Apart from 'wait till the glow stops' and 'warm the 4WD up before taking off' I haven't had much training either. So a word from the wise there is nothing wrong with lending the Wheels, just give instuctions first and then we will all be happy. By the way, when you give instructions make them 'non diesal knowledge' friendly because if you start getting too complicated we will just switch off...........!!!!!!!!!
AnswerID: 33877

Follow Up By: Offie - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 14:40

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 14:40
Point 1) It is deisel not deisal
Point 2) Forgot to mention about allowing the turbo to slow down by allowing the engine to idle for a bit after a long trip, and not to rev it as hard as a Car engine, e.g. red line at 3.5 RPM not 5+RPM. (I don’t know how much simpler can you explain this)
Point 3) How many time do you have to tell someone b4 they remember.
I am the first to admit I have a terrible memory especially on subjects that don't interest me. So why would you trust someone with something, when you know they want look after it with the same care you would. I am of the belief when borrowing something you treat it better than the owner would.

BTW: It is old tuff 4WD, I am not afraid if it getting damaged. It is all about the principle.. (and a bit of a bleep stir ;)

FollowupID: 24361

Follow Up By: wazza - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 15:18

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 15:18
Well said Melsa

The bleep stirring starts when the Wallabys take home the world cup!!

You know how passionate we are about the Cruisers and looking after them!!

See you when you get home ....
FollowupID: 24371

Reply By: Darryn - Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 12:49

Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 12:49
Offie,Melsa and Wazza, be careful when starting the Cruiser if it is not picking up oil pressure and shutting off as I had an old 2H that did exactly the same and I started it exactly the same but one day it didn't pick up pressure at all. After a week of fiddling and trying to find out why it did it (sump off twice) I was able to prime the oil pump with grease via the pressure relief valve. After this I always started it with the throttle partway open until the oil pressure came up. It was also a nagging doubt whenever I was in the bush until I traded it! I never realy found out why it did it, someone on this forum would probably have an answer.
Regd's Darryn
AnswerID: 34022

Sponsored Links