Bridgestone shuts its doors for last time

Submitted: Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 21:34
ThreadID: 78117 Views:4770 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Australia's last tyre factory has shut its gates after 45 years in production.

Six hundred workers at Bridgestone's Adelaide plant clocked off for the last time today, gathering for a farewell barbecue.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/04/30/2887500.htm

Very sad, more job's lost to overseas, guess thats it for Aussie manufactured tyres?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B, Sunshine Coast, - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 21:54

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 21:54
Yes, I feel a touch of sadness as I had a hand in the construction of the factory. It was back in 1964 and was then called "Uniroyal", a division of SA Rubber Mills.

So many of the places that I have worked in have vanished that I'm beginning to believe that I am the Kiss of Death!

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 414914

Reply By: Member - Axle - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 22:32

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 22:32
Don't worry about it!!, everything is in great shape!!

Signed.

K R.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 414922

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 22:34

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 22:34
Yep it is called "Economic Rationalism"

we heard a lot about how good this was from the last lot in Canberra.

FollowupID: 685111

Reply By: BuggerBoggedAgain - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 22:35

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 22:35
And our lazy Governments allow this to happen and then Abbott wants to deny anyone under 30 any assistance, eg up here there were 1600 applications for 100 positions, So Mr Abbott where are the other 1500 jobs

overseas,of course
AnswerID: 414924

Follow Up By: disco driver - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 23:04

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 23:04
Well, they were going to be in Kevin's Great Insulation debacle, then the jobs were to be in fixing up that stuffup and now that the Hon Kev has pulled the plug on that too, you'll have to go on the dole or become a politician.

Not a lot of choices.

Disco.

FollowupID: 685117

Reply By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 23:03

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 23:03
So is this an opportunity to pick up better quality Australian made tyres as they run out their local product, or isn't there any difference in the build quality?

My 265/75/16 Bridgestone 694LT's are from Japan and doing very well for me.

If I recall a fitter asked me on the phone if mine had raised white lettering, as the Aussie version does not so I guess they do make these in Australia, or DID make this model here up to today.

Tim
AnswerID: 414927

Reply By: Brad (S.A.) - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 23:50

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 23:50
I walked out of there for the last time at 6pm last Friday, as did 2 other casual employees. It was a sad day, but not as sad as it would have been for the people who had been there for a number of years... As with any workplace, some of your work mates become like a second family, and you get comfortable working with these people... A very sad day indeed

Cheers, Brad
AnswerID: 414928

Reply By: carlsp - Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 08:34

Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 08:34
My heart goes out to Brad and his work mates.

At the end of the day, I am one of the people to blame. My tow truck has BF Goodrich Tyres and before that I had Coopers. When I was buying them, I studied the internet and looked for quality and price. It never entered my mind to ask where they were made.

I drive a truck made in Brazil, wear clothes made in China and are writing this on a computer made in..... one second while I turn it over......yes china. Thoshiba are made in china.... well I never.

That one day Brad would loose his job, was not important to me. He was someone nameless worker till this morning.

Now all I want is a politican and some voters with some guts and the ability to see a few years into the future. I have no children and in a few years, I will be dead. What happens to the world will not effect me but maybe, we should be considering Brad's children.

AnswerID: 414940

Follow Up By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 09:05

Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 09:05
carlsp

its the morons in power at this present time who allow all our jobs to go offshore.

very rearly you see products made in Australia now for anyone to buy then to keep those jobs here.

good luck Brad....you'll find something,cheers.
FollowupID: 685133

Follow Up By: Mark - Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 09:22

Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 09:22
Well said carlsp & a very true statement.

At the end of the day the wealthy western world have fuelled China's economy by taking advantage of there cheap labour & products. We have created the monster & China will become a superpower because of it. What will happen when the western world can no longer afford to buy the products because they have no jobs & therefore no money. Perhaps one day the tables will turn & the wealthy Chinese people will be looking to poorer countries like Australia to do there manufacturing for them..... just a thought!

FollowupID: 685139

Follow Up By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 11:43

Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 11:43
I was watching a documentary recently where Chinese Workers are getting their backs up about low wages and being treated as second class citizens, and change is on the way regarding increasing wages and the price of their products, so in the long run the western world will end up paying through the neck for every thing, it will be a pain in the rse but that's life, the trouble is we all talk about it but a lot of voters don't really think about the MORONS we put into power, thank god Australia has the Resources re: Minerals / Gas ect which we export at the moment, but when that runs out in the future, what happens then. I know! we can start growing Rice where the big holes are in the ground lol lol.
FollowupID: 685144

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 12:05

Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 12:05
hi daza qld
i hear and agree but the trouble is we have a choice when we are voting of --- moron's and moron's and one is no better than other so we have a moronical choice only?????
FollowupID: 685145

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 12:38

Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 12:38
If the government keep taxing business out of existence then they will continue to close. How secure will mine jobs be after Sunday? One big employer that has shut was forced that way because of a new "Environmental levy" that is about to be imposed. Currently all their waste water is treated and reused but because there is potential environmental impact a levy is imposed. All the equipment has gone to China (except waste treatment) where waste water is put untreated back into the river.

Is this really looking after the environment or is it just an attempted tax grad?

Neil
AnswerID: 414958

Reply By: Linda B - Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 15:00

Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 15:00
Yes it is very sad that tyres will no longer be manufactured in Australia. I have seen 3 redundancy programs at a previous employer - I was on the receiving end (by choice) on the 3rd program. The 4th one was the one to end all redundancies...

But I think the title of this thread should be "Bridgestone TYRES shuts its doors for last time".

The ORIGINAL Bridgestone factory in Adelaide is still going at the ORIGINAL site in Adelaide's south at Edwardstown - since 1939. It's current name is Bridgestone TG. The tyre factory, Bridgestone Australia, north of Adelaide was a spin off from the original business in the mid 1960s.

I'm pleased to say the original Company still supplies steering wheels, airbag modules, and rubber products to the remaining Australian manufacturers and hopefully will be around for a few more years!
AnswerID: 414974

Sponsored Links