Fortescue River

Submitted: Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 11:39
ThreadID: 78129 Views:6536 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
G-day just wondering if anyone out there in the land of happy campers has been out to frotescue river mouth recently and if so is it possible to get an off road caravan in there any info would be great cheers and safe travells.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tom W (WA) - Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 19:07

Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 19:07
Gday duane havent been out there for about 12mths but was no worrys for an off roader then but went past the turn off a few weeks backs and there was heaps of mining vehicles on the road and some construction goin on so would even better now id suggest hope this helps Cheers
AnswerID: 415135

Follow Up By: Member - Duane A (WA) - Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 19:23

Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 19:23
Good on ya Tom did you stay right down at the mouth what is the camping like down there ? and can you get a tinnie in down there? i guess its free camping as well any info would be great bloke iam planning on going in for a look regards Duane.
FollowupID: 685309

Reply By: Member - Warren R- Karratha - Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 19:34

Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 19:34
G'day Duane. There is a MASSIVE iron ore project happening there at the moment. It's several Kms from the mouth, but you can still get in ok. We towed a glass boat in a few weeks ago with no probs. They have built a bitumen road into the mine site, but I don't know if it will be open to the public. I'm not against progress but they keep putting these projects into our ALL the best coastal access in the Pilbara. Fortescue, 40 mile and Cape Preston at the moment and there's plans about now to take over Cleaverville as well.
AnswerID: 415139

Follow Up By: Member - Duane A (WA) - Monday, May 03, 2010 at 12:05

Monday, May 03, 2010 at 12:05
Thanks for that Waz
I hear ya theer mate progress we cant stop it but they need to work in with everyone cheers for the info mate . what is the camping like down there and boat launching what not ?y
FollowupID: 685371

Follow Up By: Member - Warren R- Karratha - Monday, May 03, 2010 at 12:29

Monday, May 03, 2010 at 12:29
Quite a few oldies camp there during winter. No shade and probably a few mozzies and sandflies. The boat ramp is not too bad, though quite steep. We link up a second car when launching or retrieving the bigger boats. You'll have no probs with your rig. Have a good holiday.
FollowupID: 685372

Follow Up By: Member - Duane A (WA) - Monday, May 03, 2010 at 13:56

Monday, May 03, 2010 at 13:56
Good on ya Waz thanks for your time bloke . I ll give it a look before they shut it down on us like everything else big buisness gets its hands on . Regards Duane.
FollowupID: 685386

Reply By: rapid80 - Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 08:43

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 08:43
I'm working at the mine site near the river mouth and can assure you its still open. The mine site has constructed a new sealed road for mine traffic but site cars coming from the north still use the river mouth road for the 1st half and then turn off to enter the mine.
I believe access will always be available for the public on the original river mouth road.
A group of us went down there recently to clean up the camping areas as unfortunately there is a lot of construction people on site for a short time who don't respect the area. Lots of broken bottles and other rubbish. The majority of permanent workers don't go down there.
Employees of the company are not allowed to fish on any of the mine lease which includes Cape Preston but the river mouth is controlled by fisheries so normal rules apply.
The tracks around the river mouth are quite firm and there is plenty of areas to turn around. Might pay to check the tides as you have to cross a creek before continuing on to the river.
AnswerID: 415298

Follow Up By: Member - Duane A (WA) - Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 14:24

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 14:24
Thanks for that rapid 80 ill go an have a look and rest asure we will take our rubbish out with us. I couldnt beleive the rubbish on the side of the road between fortesque and karratha it was nothing short of un australian mate i tell ya. Regards Duane.
FollowupID: 685491

Sponsored Links