Landcruiser V8 trayback which new springs/shocks for Canning Stock Route

Organising final preparations for CSR. Thinking of fitting new shocks as I found vehicle a bit under damped last year in the Simpson. Plan to keep the standard springs for now. Could be persuaded to upgrade but I have been happy enough with the standard springs and the ride height. If I went for new springs it would be for better articulation.

Looking for suggestions on which shock absorbers to fit or combinations of springs and shocks. I am leaning towards Koni at the moment. I am after shock absorbers that will stand up to the pounding of corrugations and remain effective when vehicle is driven at modest speed. There will be no trailer and vehicle will be around the GVM, probably just under.

Flynnie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 23:46

Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 23:46
Flynnie,

I have just picked up the ute after having the original springs re-set. They had been upgraded as part of the original stretch and GVM improvement so I didn't really want to spend a fortune on brand new springs. I picked up an extra 80mm in ride height as well. Having seen the Tough-dog big bore adjustables working on the Canning last year, I have opted to give them a go. I'd go the Koni's but at $1200 plus a pair, they'll have to wait. The only issue with the Adjustables is that I have welded on a small bit of plate to protect the adjustment knob at the bottom of the shock. The plate is on the main lower spring and shock mount.

At $790 delivered for a set of four it's good value as well.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 415058

Follow Up By: Member - Flynnie (NSW) - Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 00:18

Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 00:18
Thanks Mick

They look a good option. Just visited a website that had $550 a pair. Who does the deal at $790 for four?

Hope your ute is making good progress and is on time. Sure is an ambitious project. Be good to see it round the traps.

Flynnie
FollowupID: 685238

Follow Up By: donk - Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 00:43

Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 00:43
Koni's 88's (or if you can afford them 90's) would be my choice

I cant recall reading any bad feedback on them unlike most other brands on the market

Regards Don
FollowupID: 685240

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, May 03, 2010 at 16:41

Monday, May 03, 2010 at 16:41
Tough Dog do two sizes of Big Bore adjustables 40mm and 45mm , I use the smaller 40mm versions on my GU which was $780 for 4 , maybe thats the answer.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 685401

Reply By: Member - mazcan - Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 14:42

Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 14:42
hi fynnie
my choice for your vehicle would be the tough dog big bores

before i did my last stint on the canning with my mazda bravo i fitted a set of t/dog foamcells 41mm

when the tour leader saw them he said
i hope your carrying some spare shockies as they wont make it

how wrong he proved to be they were excellent and serveral others commented that my vehicle was the only one that was tracking on the horregations without scittering all over the tracks viewed from behind while they were following me

they went on to do 85th k's before the seals started to fail after a lot of rough driving around the states tracks and also rocky farm tracks loaded and pulling a trailer and/or caravan as well on a constant basis

your criuser is a lot heavier than my bravo hence my recommendation
imho you wont be dissapointed
enjoy your travel
cheers
AnswerID: 415106

Follow Up By: Crackles - Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 17:47

Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 17:47
Although not so much in your case from my observations the tour leader was right in his assesment of Tough Dog shocks in general as they have had a history of failure when fitted to heavily laden vehicles on corrogated roads. Not sure if they have fixed the issues of early models but I'd be dissapointed with just 85K for a set of shocks particually after my last set went over 250k before a rebuild (& are still going)
Best value for money shocks would be RidePro.
Cheers Craig..............
HZJ105 Koni's.
FollowupID: 685297

Follow Up By: Member - mazcan - Monday, May 03, 2010 at 12:31

Monday, May 03, 2010 at 12:31
hi crackles
appreciate your imfo and ridepro site but find ridepro and toughdog have the same warranty 2yr/40th

where-as i've found lovells shocks have 3yr/70th warranty and slightly cheaper it really is a ballpark if your game

and all depends on the individuals vehicles application and terrain to be traversed
i dont think there is any hard and fast rules to above what goes well on one vehicle for one owner sometimes is a failure for others
its all a buy and try situation in every respect

and i found out later after my csr trip that the tour leader was on commission for oldman emu shocks which i found after using them on a previous vehicle before that particular csr trip to be crap shocks anyway that failed dismally
???????
cheers
FollowupID: 685373

Reply By: Will 76 Series - Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 21:09

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 21:09
G'day Flynnie,

I had a set of Tough Dogs foam cells which were OK but i only got about 60k out of them. In fact after the CSR I needed to change the bushes on both front shocks which was a bit of an epic trying to get them at the northern end.
I have now go Koni 88's which have been faultless. They are a bit hard when the vehicle is unladen but loaded they are excellent.

Will
AnswerID: 415420

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 18:45

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 18:45
Gday Flynnie,
Just my opinion, but shocks on rigid axle 4wds tend to last longer and withstand corrugations better than on other 4wds. So most brands will go OK on your vehicle.

Like Craig's experience I know of many 78/79series owners who do the badly corrugated tracks and have got lots of K's out of their factory shocks, or OME or Lovells. I've used the factory shocks and OME without a problem.

Putting an extra leaf into your standard rear springs won't hurt. I really like the Toyota leaf spring bushes - better than any of the aftermarket options. Its pretty hard to stay under GVM on the Canning.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 415538

Reply By: Flynnie - Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 00:04

Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 00:04
Thanks for all the suggestions. It has helped me a lot. I will stay with the standard springs and get new shocks. I will keep the option open of adding an extra leaf.

I have read with interest the reports of the standard shocks doing OK in the desert. This was not my experience, at least on the rear, where I thought they were way underdamped on rebound. Maybe I overheated them, anyway the rear ones are pretty crook now and need replacing.

Not sure what shocks I will get yet. So far I a have not been able to confirm if Koni 90s and 88s are available for the cruiser. Been away a couple of days and need to follow up on that tomorrow.

At the moment I am thinking Koni 90 or 88 and then Tough Dog in that order. Cost is relevant and it may be what I can afford is less than what I might want.

Flynnie
AnswerID: 415583

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 08:19

Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 08:19
Take your original ones as spares.

I have used the Toyota shocks on all manner of roads and tracks and they have done very well.
Never seen the need to move to aftermarket ones.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 685686

Reply By: Flynnie - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 22:11

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 22:11
Update on selection of shock absorbers.

Earlier I had listed finalists as Koni 90, 88 and Tough Dog. I have been in touch with Toperformance, Koni distributor, and been told that the 90 & 88 are not suitable as I have standard height suspension and they are suited to raised suspension cruiser trayback but not standard height. I do not want to raise the suspension at the moment so the 90 & 88 are out of contention.

After some questions and answers on my vehicle and how it was set up the suggestion was 82 series shocks.

82-2347SP1 front
82-2348SP1 rear (plus one turn when carrying heavy load)

I will give these a go.

Flynnie
AnswerID: 415896

Sponsored Links