Landcruiser rear axle studs

Submitted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 18:27
ThreadID: 78243 Views:12088 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys I am just abou tto replace my rear axle studs on the 80. they havent snapped or anything, I am doing it as a precaution whilst installing 2 extra 100 series dowels. My question is, should I use loctite Studlock on them or is it better to leave the threads clean for ease of replacement at a later date?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rockape - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 19:32

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 19:32
Mate,
if you use threadlock then all that has to be done to release the studs at a later date, is to heat the studs and they will be easy to remove. Then use a plug tap and this will leave the threads clean.

Have a good one
AnswerID: 415548

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 19:46

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 19:46
These axle studs only ever break if the dowels get a bit sloppy. You won't see the slop but the studs will shear off.

But loctite is a great help, I've lost count of the studs that have undone on me when trying to get the nuts off.

Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 415553

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 21:30

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 21:30
The 8mm studs break because the rear hub bearings get some play. When there's play in the bearings, the studs get put under additional lateral stress. That breaks the studs.

You cannot check for play in the bearings without removing the axles. If the bearings are replaced, you need to come back after a couple of weeks, remove the axles and readjust the bearings.

So in answer to your question, locktite is not the issue.

Alan Grey explained it pretty well on this youtube video:

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 415571

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 22:10

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 22:10
I could be wrong and have been on occasions but I was under the impression that the whole idea of a fully floating axle was that the bearings in the hub supported the vehicles weight and the only function of the drive axle was to make the whole shebang go round.
If anyone has a bit of time on their hands and an inquisitive nature remove the drive axle, loosen the bearing adjuster so there is noticeable axial movement and bolt the axle back in. I'll bet you still have the same amount of axial movement in the bearings.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 685661

Follow Up By: BiG_ReD_80 - Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 07:06

Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 07:06
Yes and that is the problem pop, The axle hides the fact that the wheel bearing require adjustment. The play in the bearings causes the axle hub to move around and places extra stress on the axle studs as the axle flange is holding it all together. If that makes sense..
FollowupID: 685680

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 08:01

Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 08:01
Gday Pop,
Yep, you're correct - its all fully floating but only when the bearings have no play.

On many occasions I've done what you suggested - but the opposite way round. So I've jacked the rear wheel, rocked it and seen no play, then removed the axle and rocked it again and found a fair bit of play.

I replaced two sets or rear bearings on different Landcruisers recently. On both occasions, I came back a few weeks later and removed the axles and found I had to readjust the bearings because play had developed as the new bearings seated.
FollowupID: 685684

Follow Up By: get outmore - Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 09:12

Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 09:12
I had continous problems with a 75 breaking axle studs
- turned out to be a bent axle. i assume a wonky bearing could place simular stress on them
FollowupID: 685691

Reply By: BiG_ReD_80 - Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 07:03

Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 07:03
Thanks for the reply guys. Yeah The whole reason I am replacing the studs is just a precaution. I am due to adjust the rear wheel bearings and thought I might as well replace the studs while I have it apart. the 2 additional dowels are another precaution. I will retain the 7mm dowels and add the 10mm 100 series dowels as well. I mainly wanted to know if the loctite was a good idea or not on the studs, I think I'll go that route and fit new nuts ( torqued to spec ) and use loctite on them too
AnswerID: 415587

Sponsored Links