how much

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 17:40
ThreadID: 7839 Views:1515 Replies:7 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
How much exersize is to much for a 4 year old ?{ soon to be 5 } The boy is on what seems to be on a "get big muscles " kick,,,,does 40 pushups non stop , 20 situps, followed by 20 chinups, and has just started to do the pushups 1 handed,, no its not a laughing mater,are we allowing him to much for his own good???
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 17:50

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 17:50
I wouldn't worry about it too much. At his age his interest is bound to wane before long. If it doesn't, perhaps a word to the family doctor about the physical implications. Personally, I'd be more inclined to feel concerned about why a 4, soon to be 5 year old feels the need to "get big muscles". Friends of ours have an 8 year old girl who barely eats lest she gets fat. What sort of message are we as a society sending these kids???

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 33917

Follow Up By: bruce.h (WA) - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 20:13

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 20:13
Gday Melissa
tell your friend to watch her 8 year old closely, my niece started that sort of thing about that age she went on to have full blown anorexia she lost so much wieght at one stage she ended up in icu on heart monitorsas her organs had began to shut down . don't want to sound gloomy but it happens so quick it frightening
Regards Bruce
FollowupID: 24427

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 10:59

Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 10:59
Hi Bruce,

Yes they are watching her closely. 6 months ago they left to tour Oz for a couple of years and they're hoping that away from the influence of TV, magazines and her peers that she'll snap out of it but only time will tell.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
FollowupID: 24479

Follow Up By: bruce.h (WA) - Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 23:42

Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 23:42
gday Melissa
This may sound strange but tell them to have her checked for epilepsi ,my neice wasfound to have it & was put on medication for it once she was on this medication the anorexia was controled to the point that she is not only on top of it all but was secure enough in her self to move over east & is doing very well . i have heard that there may well be a link between the to problems ie 1 is corsed by the other
Regards Bruce
FollowupID: 24539

Reply By: Member - Ross - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 17:54

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 17:54
Let him go for it ... think how well he'll sleep..... ;-)

Besides he'll get it out of his system before he does himself any harm.Rosco
AnswerID: 33918

Reply By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 19:13

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 19:13
where has he seen this obsession...his parents, siblings or?

its probably not a real problem at this stage but it might be later?

does he play vigourously at kindy?
would it be worthwhile to try to keep his mind on other physical exercise?

like all things I suppose ....in moderation its okay.
and as Melissa said ... he might lose interest soonWow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
AnswerID: 33926

Follow Up By: ThePublican - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 19:30

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 19:30
The obsession as such is not from seeing his parents [me + wife ] or siblings [ 20 to 30 yrs older + 1600klm away ] vigorous at preschool,no more than others, he weighs 21kg and is in the middle of the height range at preschool,, lifts from our 4x4 back seat a ctn of beer and can carry it to our bar,20/30ft away,,ctn of beer weight =10.5kg.
FollowupID: 24423

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 09:46

Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 09:46
I reckon he might be one hell of a little strong boy!
wont want to meet him in a dark alley when he gets older lol lolWow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
FollowupID: 24551

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 20:09

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 20:09
gday Publican
To me i would be inclined to think that a 4 or 5 year old should not in any way be
doing that sort of exersize ,to me that much exersize even in an elite athlite would need to be monitered by a profesional trainer so as to avoid injury or changes in the bodies chemistry this just my opinion but if it was my child i would be having a chat to a pedeatrition just to be on the safe side
Regards Bruce
AnswerID: 33936

Reply By: Savvas - Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 21:05

Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003 at 21:05
Talk to a GP or paediatrician (preferably) just to make sure it's not something to worry about.

I took my 6 yr old son to school this morning, and watched a pre schooler of about 4 yrs playing soccer in the school yard with the older kids. He was phenomenally aggressive and could out play any of the school kids. You could tell he was obsessive about soccer, which may well hold him in good stead in the future.

You never know...your son may make a few movies and become a governor!
AnswerID: 33954

Reply By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 12:19

Thursday, Oct 16, 2003 at 12:19
Hi Publican,

Have you asked him why he wants to "get big muscles"? Sometimes the answer can be reached by simply asking the question. It appears from a distance that his behaviour may be compulsive, so if you can ascertain the cause of his psychosis you can work towards removing the cause.

May be worth a try."Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
AnswerID: 34017

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 12:57

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 12:57
Put him on the handle of the tirfor - that will sort him out , or it will put us to shame :-).

Seriously, the excersise he is doing under his own weight wont hurt him , but i wouldn't let him carry slabs or other heavy loads as this can cause permanent damage to his skelatal system. he is probably in a phase and soon will be slouching on the couch like other kids, but keep an eye on him anyway. BradLife is short- but there's always time for a yarda.
AnswerID: 34449

Sponsored Links