Can you put a fridge in the tool box?

Submitted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 17:34
ThreadID: 78447 Views:9600 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
The new fridge refered to in my recent thread fits in the camper trailer with 5mm to spare (height).

But, it will be awkward to get out when we set up camp.

It will fit in a toolbox on the A frame of the trailer. Can I put vents in the side of the toolbox and just leave it in there.

I can't fit it in the car so it has to fit in or on the trailer.

Any suggestions?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Secret Mens Business - Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 18:49

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 18:49
I haven't read your previous thread however I cannot see why not if you have sufficient ventilation. As for the ventialtion speak to your fridge manufacturer as I'm sure they have been asked this before.? Ventilation is important for the compressor.
AnswerID: 416563

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Friday, May 14, 2010 at 08:04

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 08:04
its actually to ensure proper condensing...nothing to do with the compressor
FollowupID: 686761

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 19:54

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 19:54
Hi Boo Boo. The thing I think of is the more ventilation you have (and need) the more dust will be able to enter the fridge container. That could create problems. regards,Bob.

AnswerID: 416579

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 20:31

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 20:31
Yep,, how to keep the dust out and provide ventilation looks like a big problem.

Although I have it in the back of my mind that I have seen it in my travels somewhere.

It may be back to the drawing board on where to put the fridge.
FollowupID: 686707

Follow Up By: ChipPunk - Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 22:15

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 22:15
Dust like moisture can lead to failure of electrics through electric conduction or thermal insulation effects.

Some things are dust proof as in conformally coated circuit boards or sealed/insulated connectors that are water & dust resistant.

That doesn't mean dust can be ignored... vents must be remain sufficiently free.

I mention this after a dilemna many years ago involving expensive fan-cooled critical equipment... Should we have air filters?
Ideally yes, but if the filters are not maintained they with block and cause shutdown....
FYI - My decision was conformally coated "dirt proof" PCBs etc and no air filters.
In retrospect a brilliant decision; although I wanted to reduce costs by not requiring 3-monthly maintenance visits, that later became a reality with new-world KRA and bonus driven economics - ie, no preventative maintenance. (Instead of shutting down ~twice a year from blocked filters, the now leaking roofs rinse the dust off!! During droughts the normal annual or "post-fail" maintenance applies.)
FollowupID: 686730

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 20:41

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 20:41
I think the jarring of the fridge when you hit potholes and the like would be more of a problem than the ventilation!! Ventilation is easily fixed.. !!!!!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 416589

Follow Up By: Member - Barnray (NSW) - Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 21:59

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 21:59
My 80lt Waeco sit's on the front of the trailer in a fridge box with a circulation fan running thru the day and is working very well at the moment keeping to the set Temps. I have just today rigged the solar panels to run 24/7 to maintain the trailer. I will have a report over the next month or so. Barnray
FollowupID: 686725

Reply By: Member No 1- Friday, May 14, 2010 at 08:14

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 08:14
if the steel/alloy box is large enough it could work by doing this......

if the box is fully enclosed...sealed tight.....then make the steel box with plenty of room around the fridge....put in a small 12v fan to force air circulation around the inside the box and around the fridge.....when the trailer is moving the heat dispated from the fridge condenser will indirectly be transfered to the outside of the box...

BEWARE when stationary for lengthy periods as the heat may not disipate from inside the box quickly enough
AnswerID: 416630

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 18:21

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 18:21
Thanks for the help fellas, I have done a bit more investigating and there is a mob that makes 'long' slides, I think about 1400mm long which are designed to fit two fridges, so I may be able to fit it the back of the troopy, which is my preferred option.

I will contact them tomorrow.

FollowupID: 687133

Sponsored Links