Roof racks and Corrugations

We are heading up to the Kimberly's shortly planning to travel the Tanami and the Gibb River road and know that we will hit some serious corrugations.

I have a spare tyre and rim that I was thinking about mounting on a set of Rhino bars on the roof of my Hilux - the type that sit on pads and clip under the door jam. With the expected corrugations, is this type of bar ok for the job or will it rattle loose.? It is mounted correctly, spaced as per the Rhino recommendations and I would add a couple of addional bars North/South to mount the tyre, effectively tying both bars together.

I can put a conventional roof rack on the canopy at the back that bolts down through an internal frame to the tray, probably more convenient and a lot more secure, but the wind resistance will chew into my fuel consumption.

Any comments?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: uneekwahn - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 11:44

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 11:44
Hi mepvic,

We travelled the Kimberley in 2007 and did the GRR, Tanami, Cape Leveque Road and the road into Purnululu with a spare over 2 roof rack (rhino bars) held on by 4 tie down straps and a chain with a padlock.

We had no problems during our two month honeymoon with this setup.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jason.
AnswerID: 416877

Reply By: Flynnie - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 11:50

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 11:50
Last year I found the Gibb River Road a very smooth easy drive. If it is in the same condition this year it should be easy. Depends on graders etc. Could be a lot worse this year.

The Tanami Road last year was very badly corrugated. It would shake the fillings out of your teeth. Doubt it will change much.

Roof racks often break. All that flexing and jarring I suppose. They are top of the breakage list at the Mount Dare Hotel website. Most Common Failures

My advice would be to avoid using a roof rack if at all possible.

Flynnie
AnswerID: 416878

Reply By: chris_s - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 12:02

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 12:02
You shouldn't have any problems, but some have complained of paint rubbing off the roof where the 'sit on pads' are placed. Several have gone over to the heavy duty track mount system (heavier carrying capacity). If you have a single cab, note the total carrying capacity for the clip on system is only 37Kg. If so, the tyre and rim are approaching this weight.
I did the CSR, Gibb RR a couple of years back. Wish I was back out there again.
Have a great trip.
AnswerID: 416880

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 12:52

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 12:52
Do you have tyre changing gear, eg tyre pliers etc.If you do, why not just take a tyre carcuss on the roof and fit it to a rim if its needed?, would save alot of weight on the roof bars.
We drove the Tanami last year and thought it was in great condition.The WA side was rough but they were doing major road works on it when we went through.The NT side was great with a few rougher bits but you just gotta drive to the conditions, the rougher it gets, the slower you go.That was our 3rd trip along the Tanami and I guess Rabit Flat RH will be closed before we get along it again.Bruce reaconed there was something wrong with us for travelling the track three times for fun........................
AnswerID: 416889

Reply By: mepvic - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 19:14

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 19:14
Thanks to all. The good lady has thought outside the square and come up with the answer. Was scratching my head about how to fit a couple of additional bars north south on the Rhino's to mount the tyre when she said why not use one of the Rhino's and one of the bars on the canopy. Spacing between the two will take a wheel without any north south bars, don't need the pack rack, and half the load is taken off the Rhino. Bless her little heart. Don't you just love them.

Thanks again for the thoughts.
AnswerID: 416930

Reply By: nqdave - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 07:13

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 07:13
mepvic,

Beware of movement between the canopy and on the cab on the Hilux. I think on most dual cabs they move independently and strapping something rigid between the two risks doing damage to your roof.

There's been a few threads on EO in the past 3 months that have discussed this relating to carrying boats on a dual cab. Try this link for the threads I'm referring to.

Cheers,
Dave
AnswerID: 416967

Follow Up By: mepvic - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 09:57

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 09:57
Thanks Dave. Good advice. Back to the drawing board.
FollowupID: 687083

Sponsored Links