help with waeco fridge in subaru

hello all fellow explorers, l need help in advice on how l can keep my waeco cooler/warmer on even when the ignition is turned off in my subaru forester. it is plugged into the socket provided in the rear of the vehicle, but only operates as an accessory. I would like to bypass this if i can for keeping the cooler on during breaks in my travels. it is fitted with a low voltage meter made also by waeco to stop the battery going flat or too low. has anyone have any
thought please, many thanks, Anton, melbourne.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 08:03

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 08:03
These sockets are deliberately connected to the accessories circuit so that it's a deliberate act to keep them active when the engine isn't running. Low voltage cutouts cannot be relied on to turn the fridge off when the battery voltage gets low. Thermoelectric fridge/warmers are pretty power hungry, so suggest simply leave the accessories switched on if you really need to keep the fridge running during brief stops. The other option is to have an auto sparky connect the sockets to an "allways on" circuit, but I'd be sure to carry some jumper leads if you go this way!

HTH

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 416973

Follow Up By: Member - Peter E1 (VIC) - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 18:06

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 18:06
I bought a 12/240v cooler from Repco and it drained my Forester battery in 4 hours. I thought I had a battery problem as it was about 4years old but looking at the cooler specs it seemed to be pretty hungry. Bought a new battery but haven't been game to try it again. Bought the Campervan instead!!
FollowupID: 687126

Follow Up By: melbourne magpies - Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 13:15

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 13:15
thanks for your help. i will go to an 4x4 auto electrician and ask him. many thanks to all once again, anton safe travels
FollowupID: 687236

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 08:07

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 08:07
Buy a power supply module and cable ($100-200) from Bainbridge (spelling/ name?) or Waeco and have it fitted.
Bainbridge one from memory has volt gauge, numerous power outlets and maybe low voltage cut out.
Most importantly both have heavy duty/ proper diameter cabling and switch to enable working direct to battery or via accessory switch.
AnswerID: 416974

Follow Up By: melbourne magpies - Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 13:15

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 13:15
thanks for your help. i will go to an 4x4 auto electrician and ask him. many thanks to all once again, anton safe travels
FollowupID: 687237

Reply By: Spade Newsom - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 17:34

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 17:34
My suggestion, assuming you only have a little car cooler, would be to buy a small AGM battery say 18-20ah and have it connected between the fridge and the accessory socket. Done correctly it will be being charged when the car is on and will be discharged by the fridge when the ignition is off. The battery won't charge perfectly and have limited number of hours it will work, but no fewer, I would have thought, than how much you might want to take from your car battery. You might be able to set the fridge, depending on the model, so it will only take a limited amount of juice from the battery.

AGM because it can sit at any angle and it gives off no gas while charging in the boot of the car. If you can restrain it though would be good as it has some weight, say 5kg-6kg, and would be lethal in an accident. Don't forget to protect the wires with a fuse.

These little firdges do actually use a fair bit of battery juice as they have minimal insulation and designed to operate continuously. They are really only designed to be used when the car is on. I doubt it would keep cool for a full night and then take a fair bit to charge the battery back up.

I used this set up for a little waeco fridge and a Waeco Fridgemate battery that was designed to be rigged up as I suggested. Waeco don't sell it anymore but you can still buy just the battery and rig it up yourself for 1/3 the price of the fridgemate.
AnswerID: 417025

Follow Up By: melbourne magpies - Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 13:16

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 13:16
FollowupID: 687238

Reply By: melbourne magpies - Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 13:14

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 13:14
thanks to all for your help. i will go to an 4x4 auto electrician and ask him. many thanks to all once again, anton safe travels to all
AnswerID: 417137

Sponsored Links