Being asked for your address when on the road

Submitted: Monday, May 17, 2010 at 08:43
ThreadID: 78529 Views:5231 Replies:10 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
I was just reading a thread about being asked for your drivers lic (good post+Replies), and was thinking what do you do if you do not have a fixed address.

The wife and I plan to pack up and rent out our house and have the kids co look after it when we retire. So we will not have a fixed address as such. We don't expect to be on the road for ever an plan to park in the kids driveway for a visit when we can before heading off to see the rest of OZ. But that is another topic.

For those that are traveling AU for up to 1-2 years, do you just give out a fake address/ Information when asked ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Matt(WA) - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 08:55

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 08:55
We are permantly travelling and we just say No Fixed adress. Or ask them what the adress of this place is cause thats were we are living at the moment.

Matt

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 416978

Reply By: carlsp - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 08:58

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 08:58
We live permanently on the road so you need to have a "real" address. Some banks, insurance companies and Govt departments will not allow a PO BOx.

Hence in a previous post we use "MBE". Google it. They show a PO Box as a real address. ie Suite 62, 25 Brown St. The MBE address is 25 Brown st, and your PO Box is 62. To everyone else however it appears that you live in apartment 62 at 25 Brown st.

They will collect you mail and forward it in a overnight bag to where ever you are. Not expensive either.
AnswerID: 416979

Reply By: Ozrover - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 09:10

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 09:10
When we were travelling & had no fixed address we just used a relatives address, & had them forward any relevant mail to us (no junk mail).

As for giving out your address for accommodation, get used to it we found that every caravan park, motel & pub required you to fill out a booking slip when registering, we do here for the cabin accommodation, but only basic info for camping.
AnswerID: 416980

Reply By: Member - Barry (NT) - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 09:55

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 09:55
WE use our drivers licence address = as we can't prove residency i another state

the licence address is "legal" address especially if you rent out your house, as by law you need to advise of change of address for licences.

to the best of my knowledge they won't renew drivers licence unless yo have valid residential address = may be wrong,,

but I had massive problems in SA when I needed a boat licence (long stay) but was not a resident of SA. Impasse their law stated I needed a licence BUT was not accepted as resident - eventually the manager sorted it out after 8 visits to motor registry office
AnswerID: 416985

Follow Up By: DIO - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 10:20

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 10:20
I have been through the process of 'residential address' with Motor Reg in most States.

They will not accept an application for rego or licence if you do not have a place of residence in their State. (Place of residence is NOT a caravan, camper or m/home 'on the road').
If you reside in any of the States and sell your home and go on the road, then you must advise Motor Reg of the 'change of address'. Failure to do so may result in heavy penalties as your 3rd party Insurance is also affected.
If you advise Motor reg. that you are going on a 2yr trip around Australia and ask them about the status of your reg (in State where reg and licence issued) they willl advise you that you must change your reg & lic to which ever State you are residing after approx. each 90 days.

There are legal implications for failing to notify authorities of chnages of address. It is possible that your licence and rego may also be deemed as 'invalid' which will also attract penalties. There is no easy and lawful way around this dilema.

There may be those who advocate lying to authorities and advise you to just give them the address of a family member or mate. Technically this may also be illegal if you are not residing there - which of course you won't be because you are 'on the road'. My biggest concern is if things go 'pear shaped' in another State, (not your registered State) that you are confronted with both unregistered/uninsured vehicle(s) and you are also unlicenced.
FollowupID: 687086

Follow Up By: Whitewulf - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 10:33

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 10:33
Good points.
I was wondering what the issues were with saying I live with relative X, and then knowing my luck having a legal issue and get caught.
FollowupID: 687087

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 11:11

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 11:11
Another gem from our federation of states. Roll on a national licensing system.

Cheers
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 687091

Follow Up By: carlsp - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 18:17

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 18:17
Queesnland will accept a reciept from a caravan park as address.
FollowupID: 687129

Follow Up By: Member - Josh (TAS) - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 19:44

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 19:44
What makes a place your place of residence??? We used our friends as our address for three years. All our mail went through them, our licence address was listed as there. That was where we had some of our stuff stored so that was where we lived. When we spoke to the electrol commission and told them we were on the road we were told because we where on the road full time they took us off the roll and we did not have to vote for 3 years. All our bills went through our friends.
"DIO" I don't see how saying you live with relatives/ friends is lying. The gov agencies need an address so give them the next best thing to where you live, most of them say to use friends or family. What defines where you live...where you are or where all your crap is stored lol.
One other thing.. to redirect mail simply tape your letters together and write "please redirect to .....(the address where you are). Don't put a new stamp on it.

Josh
FollowupID: 687149

Follow Up By: Member - Peter M (QLD) - Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 14:45

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 at 14:45
We are registered with the Electoral Office as being "No fixed address" for mail we use our PO Box in Townsville and important mail is either redirected to us or scanned and emailed to us.
The Electoral Office also accepted our sons address as our voting address/electorate we were told that we could use our old address (even though I told them the house was no longer ours) as our voting address. We are on the road full time but are in constant contact with our son & his family and stay there in our van for a week or two at least once per year year.
The RACQ Insurance people accepted the above information at the time when I insured our van & tug with them in December 2009.
Regards
PeteM
FollowupID: 687250

Reply By: Isuzumu - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 10:37

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 10:37
I just opened up the site to put the same question up....Tell you what it is going to become very expensive getting a new licence every 90 days, if you swap stares that much, especially when Qld new licence is going to be around $150 for 5 years.
There must be some way around this especially with the amount of people now living on the road. Once when I had to renew my licence in Qld I put down the name of my yacht and the marina I was then staying in and they said that was ok.
But with Centre Link especially what do you do?
AnswerID: 416990

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 13:15

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 13:15
I wonder if the Tax Office uses other Govt Authorities to check on ones status if they havent got a fixed address, so some where in the system they can track people down.

Cheers
AnswerID: 417002

Follow Up By: Nargun51 - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 13:37

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 13:37
Depends on the legal arrangements between the different Agencies.

The ATO has a lot of powers, usually more than the Agencies themselves

They may be able to access info from other Agencies and possibly even State authorities.

They would need to be able to show cause why the information would need to be accessed. They wouldn't (shouldn't) be able to go 'fishing'
FollowupID: 687111

Follow Up By: SDG - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 00:06

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 00:06
I know centre link are able to check on your tax returns to see if you have any undeclared income.
FollowupID: 687832

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 14:12

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 14:12
Don't know if the same rules still apply but years ago when in the Armed forces we were NOT subject to the rules concerning changing licences/ rego ect every time you were posted interstate , home state / parents address was classed as your real fixed address even though you may have been married.
AnswerID: 417006

Follow Up By: Matt(WA) - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 14:23

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 14:23
I joined up in 97 and by then we had to change rego/licenses every posting. Was still like that when I got out in 2007

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 687112

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 15:00

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 15:00
Matt WA , Well there you go , things have changed , 6 yrs and 4 states and not once required to change licence details though that was in the late 70s and early 80s. Remember at one stage had Wife and the kids in married quarters in Melbourne Vic - car rego and licence in NSW and I was in Qld for 7 mths all at the same time ,,
FollowupID: 687116

Follow Up By: Isuzumu - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 16:12

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 16:12
When I was posted to 7MD in Darwin in the late 70's the DoT fellows would drive around the married quarters, in the suburbs were not allowed on base of course, and check the no plates would come back in 3 months and if they had not been changed send you a little note hahahahaha
FollowupID: 687117

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 21:52

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 21:52
Alloy c/t - I joined in '71 and retired in 2003 and what you say held true to a point from around the late 80s (when Ros Kelly was the Minister for Def Personnel) until I retired in the States/Territories I was in NSW/VIC/ACT/QLD - your licence and rego were valid regardless until such time as they expired and then you had to renew in your new location. AFAIK it still holds today but will check up tomorrow - I still work for Defence in another somewhat less demanding (and stable - no postings!) capacity that when I was in uniform:-)
FollowupID: 687174

Reply By: Member - Driverdon - Monday, May 17, 2010 at 20:08

Monday, May 17, 2010 at 20:08
I'm from WA & have been in nsw for 2 1/2 years looking after a dec'd friends estate. Was told that I had to get nsw lisc if i stayed more than 3 mths. so went to dept and applied for lisc. they said as soon as they issued nsw lisc they would cancell WA lisc with my HC and hire and reward endorsements I said no way would I go down that road. On the nsw application it says to gain a lisc you must live in nsw, I pointed out to the girl that this was stupid and contradictory she agreed and told me to carry around the lisc paper work in my glove box if I,m stopped to prove that I applied but was told i didn't need it . as legally i,m not a nsw resident I think it comes down to control and revinue and may have to be sorted in court. . . having said that I saw in the local rag that a guy was fined about $300-400 for not changing from Vic to NSW but There were other charges as well so may have been a crook but so much for the free country eh. . . maybe we travellers need to talk to some pollies . . .one for the expore oz team to take up for all of us illeagles
AnswerID: 417046

Reply By: SDG - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 00:10

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 00:10
Interstate trucks have a national rego. Is it possible to get one of these for travellers?
AnswerID: 417741

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 02:02

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 02:02
I've been using a post office box in Melbourne since 1996 for mail and as an address, hope you’re sitting down, I live @ Highway 1 Perth 6000, West Australia, and when you stop laughing its true, driver’s license etc and all.
You need an address to get a license in WA so I gave them where I spent the previous night, I told the truth and they just printed it with-out asking questions.

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 417744

Follow Up By: get outmore - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 04:09

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 04:09
Could get arrested for an incorrect address

it doesnt exist

Highway 1 doesnt enter the 6000 post code
- should be 6100 which is the vic park interchange, as close as it gets to perth
FollowupID: 687835

Follow Up By: get outmore - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 04:11

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 04:11
but yea there is no issue using teporary address for a WA license. i have used a caravan park and a pistol club before as addresses
FollowupID: 687836

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 08:40

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 08:40
I've had that conversation and was informed as I answered the questions put to me honestly, (I had spent the previous night on highway 1, at a wayside stop) it was then up to the RTA official to ascertain it is not a home, they used my Victoria mail box to deliver all my relevant 'paperwork' to me.

It lasted till 2005, when I did have a 'normal' home address.
I was booked for speeding with that address, the Police officer did not ask where it was, just did the paperwork and I paid it before anyone had the chance to ask questions.

I keep the old plastic license as a memento of a great lifestyle :-))

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 687843

Sponsored Links