fuel additives

Submitted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 19:14
ThreadID: 78620 Views:3256 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Diesel fuel additives !!
do they work??,should i think about using them,?? any brand better than another??
would like to get a few different opinions on these products as I'm not really sure if they really work or help the engine.
my Nissan 2.5 common rail turbo has done 15,000 klms now,so is it time to add an additive, or am i wasting my money
your thoughts would be welcome

regards
Dave & Maz
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - RobnJane(VIC) - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 20:07

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 20:07
Hi Dave & Maz,

Plenty of divergent views on this one.

I think any additive in fuel or oil(s) is a waste of money.

The exception would be for a fuel biocide to prevent algae in the fuel tank.

The trick is to do your best to source your fuel from a common/reputable source, and be very careful in the bush when decanting from cans etc, ie use a filtered funnel etc.

Rgds,

Rob.
RobnJane

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 417427

Follow Up By: Fatso - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 20:14

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 20:14
Some of those fuel additives are no more than SNAKE OIL.
The ones the fuel companies put in are enough for me.
FollowupID: 687542

Reply By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 20:10

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 20:10
http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/4716/Diesel_fuel_Additives.aspx
AnswerID: 417429

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 20:33

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 20:33
This might seem strange but I have been adding 2 stroke oil (for water cooled 2 strokes) to my fuel at the rate of 200:1 for about 6 months. The engine runs cleaner with only about 25% of the soot that used to land on my garage wall on start up. The engine seems to run smoother but maybe I am hopefull on that one. It is a Toyta 4.2 diesel with a/m turbo with 220kms.
AnswerID: 417436

Reply By: racinrob - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 20:41

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 20:41
For what it's worth my diesel mech (who I trust) told me to use an fuel additive to lubricate the rings etc in an injector pump now that the oil companies by law have cut the sulphur content of diesel fuel however I don't know how they affect a common rail diesel.
Older injector pump diesels do suffer from leaking pumps and at about $1200 for a reconditioned one it's a cheaper option to use an additive to prolong its life.
Rob.
AnswerID: 417440

Reply By: CruisinDub - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 21:29

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 21:29
Hi Dave and Maz,

If fuel additives you mean these 'miracle' ones supposedly designed to offer better fuel economy or an engine rebuild in a bottle, leave them on the shelf. Some are injector cleaners, with proper filtration and water seperation your injectors should be fine. They may have a service life according to manufacturers reccomendation for service anyway.

We use on our vessel, 'fuel-set', its from a WA company but we use a UK importer for when in the Med. (no affiliation apart from a consumer/customer)
Have always used this on our vessel, though many, many vessels do not, without any apparent problems.

This fuel additive is designed to combat the 'bug' which breeds and lives in fuel. (plenty of info on the net on fuel 'bug') as far as economy or power, no it doesnt.
Fuel bug can be disastrous when using on the MTU main engines of our veeh bum buidl up remossel.
With Racor fuel filters/water seps and secondaries we only use it for the 'bug'
We use it when treating fuel which is stored over the winter time onboard. We also use it when bunkering at 'dodgy' places, Turkey/Tunisia etc.

Used at regular dose rate of 4000:1 or high dose at 2000:1 as a single dose treatment.
It does help to clear alot of the 'gum' build up on fuel manifold/pump when used on a regular occasion. (can be used petrol or diesel)
As far as using on the cars, for 50/100 litres fuel, your using mililitres of the stuff only. Our vessel burns just shy of 1000 l/hr cruising.
I did use on my old ford sierra, 1985 1.8 model. Nearly killed the engine with the gum build up removal from the carb, had to strip down the fuel system. I think I got a bit heavy handed with the dosage.

The general consensus on the forum here is that most 4wd users/long distance travellers dont use anything. It depends where you buy it from and how good the fuel is. We have a fuel sample and analysis taken every fill bunker, so we know when we may have a fuel issue.

Most on the road fuel stations have good fuel turnover and good storage facilities, thoguh the bug can be anywhere.
AnswerID: 417448

Follow Up By: wafarmer - Friday, May 21, 2010 at 00:58

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 00:58
Hi

This product Fuel Set was developed by a very talented bloke by the name of Peter Mathews from Gold Leaf Enterprises in WA.

The product is also available as Fuel Tech which was my label but I have since handed the distribution on to another company.

It is a good product that does what it claims as do all the products developed by Peter who had to retire due to ill health.

A lot of additives are snake oil and as for relying on what the fuel companies say or do well they are the past masters at it so don't look there for comfort.

wafarmer
FollowupID: 687582

Reply By: hoffy - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 21:45

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 21:45
If you have a few hours, have a read of this.

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic878.html
I agree with Iah H, 2 stroke oil in the diesel definately quitened my engine (2.7 Merc) and gave a little better fuel economy.
Graeme
AnswerID: 417452

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Friday, May 21, 2010 at 08:12

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 08:12
I too have been adding 2 stroke oil to my diesel now for 9months. I originally read all 72 plus pages of the freelander forum and then researched all the other links that are mentioned and felt this was the correct thing to do.

I have the new turbo V8 Diesel ute and it has been fine. Same results as Ian H.

Have a read for yourself - it is worth it for the long term care of your fuel system now that the sulphur has been removed from diesel. (natural lubricant)

David

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 687589

Reply By: the redbacks - Friday, May 21, 2010 at 18:33

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 18:33
Many thanks for all your comments guy's,
i will have a look at the links that you have posted, although my engine isn't no where near noisy, the 2 stroke oil seems like a good idear

again
many thanks
Dave
AnswerID: 417571

Sponsored Links