video editing / stiching

Submitted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 21:56
ThreadID: 78627 Views:3413 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I wish to join together some short video clips but want these to change or transition between the clips with some sort of indication much like some power point presentations do..that is a fade in / out or wave or twist or whatever you call the terminology that clearly indicates a changing of the clip rather than an abrupt swap from what is obviously a different clip.

I simply cant work out what you call it when I search the help in the software I am using...or maybe it doesnt do it. (Arcsoft for the Kodak Zi8)

Can anyone recomend a software program that may do what I want or at least tell me the terminology of what I am trying to do please? and then maybe the help section in my software may direct me there!

Maybe off topic a little but if I get it right I wish to post some on here of a couple of trips

Thanks

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: a convict - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 22:31

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 22:31
..couple of decent freebies here.

Free video editor

" Avidemux lets you do just about everything under the sun .."

.and.

" VirtualDub is an impressive Open source package that is regularly updated by its author. "

I prefer Avidemux because of ease of use, ..( for the nearly Brain Dead boomer. )

..cheers.
AnswerID: 417460

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 23:04

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 23:04
thanks a lot much appreciated
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 687573

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 23:10

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 23:10
The effect is called "Transitions".

Most video editing programs include some transition at least. You just choose the one you like and drop it onto the story line between the clips. If your computer is relatively young and the OS is Windows 7 or Vista (not sure about XP) have a look at Windows Movie Maker in your programs list. It works fine.

Video editing can get a bit complicated with trimming and rendering to make a nice DVD, but with a bit of practice I'm sure you will produce something. I use Adobe Premier Elements, but it is quite expensive to purchase. I found the software that came with my camera (Canon ZoomBrowser)) does work but it is a bit clunky. I would take a look at the Freeware as recommended above.

Kingo

AnswerID: 417464

Follow Up By: Gramps - Friday, May 21, 2010 at 08:02

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 08:02
Yep, Windows Movie Maker is available on XP as well

Regards
FollowupID: 687588

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, May 21, 2010 at 16:32

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 16:32
Howdy Mate, I've been using Windows Movie Maker and it is very simple and easy to use. All the clips in my later blogs I have put together using movie maker. It's very easy to use (must be if I can do it). As the others have said, "Transitions" is what you want. There is also an effects area as well which lets you fade clips out or in to black, give them sepia tones etc. You just click on the effect you want and drag it to your clip. Easy as.

When you put your clips into the program, drag them into the Story board. You can add the transitions by dragging them to the arrow in between each clip. If you want to trim or shorten the clip, click "Show Timeline" once you have dragged theclips into the order you want on the storyboard. This will then show you them in a time line which you can cut bits of either end, drag effects to or add extra transitions. You can also add credits, or text onto the film. It's all good fun.

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 417556

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 13:07

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 13:07
Thanks Mick

Had issues as the Kodak software used the .mov format but as I didnt like the software that came with the camera and Windows Movie maker didnt like .mov I was stumped until i found how to convert to .avi succesfully

All done now and about to give it a go
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 687737

Follow Up By: chevypower - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 10:00

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 10:00
You probably just need to install QuickTime 7 on your PC for MOV files. All the programs then should work with them. It's free to download, and I prefer MOV to AVI because they tend to keep more metadata relating to the specific codec used. So often I get AVIs and have no idea what codec it is using.
FollowupID: 687964

Sponsored Links