Land cruiser troopy

Submitted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 22:23
ThreadID: 78630 Views:5554 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,

I am in the process of planning a trip around Australia and currently looking at purchasing an early to mid-nineties model troopy. The reason for the troopy is I would ideally like to put in a 'fake floor' with a draw storage system, and be able to sleep in the back of it when I need to. I Figure the troopy is a pretty reliable unit if it's been looked after properly.

Also unsure whether to go for dual fuel petrol/gas set-up or diesel. I am leaning towards the latter.

I would love any advice or feedback on any of above as I am a bit of a novice!

Cheers!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Rambler( W.A.) - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 22:46

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 22:46
Having had quite a few Troopys through work and travelled all over Australia and now own a 2001 Troopy which has been very reliable over many thousand of kilometers I would reccomend a DIESEL.
AnswerID: 417462

Reply By: V8 Troopie - Friday, May 21, 2010 at 00:42

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 00:42
I done that in the early nineties with a HJ75 troopie which I still have.
Re fake floors & drawers under, you realize (I hope) that these drawers will need to be very long or space is wasted.
My set up was different, I had a single bunk on the drivers side which easily could fold out to a double bunk. Had a slide out fridge under the back of the bunk and, since the bunk base was hinged, the forward part under it was easily accessible for stowing.
During the day the bunk was always folded to single (mattress folded too) and all the room beside it could be used for stowing things.

The lot was attached to the original fold down seat mountings on the side and on the floor.
AnswerID: 417477

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Friday, May 21, 2010 at 07:18

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 07:18
I would definitely go for the diesel. The old 1Hz is very reliable if treated well in regards to service & quality oils/filters.

Last year I took one on a ~40,000Km trip from Sth Korea across Russia and around Central Asia. Had no major issues and it performed well even when at high altitudes in Tajikistan.

I built a storage system in the back with a steel frame and plywood panels. We slept on top and were quite comfortable. I would not put in full length drawers as they are very heavy and hard to make space efficient. I will put some pictures of what we did in my profile for you to see.

Do a search as there are some previous threads about building storage in the back of troopys. Keep it simple and test out what you have done with some short trips before you do a long one. Do not be afraid to ask or change things to get it right.

cheers
alastair
AnswerID: 417486

Follow Up By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Friday, May 21, 2010 at 07:33

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 07:33
To see pictures click on My Profile and then click on the Forum folder at the bottom of the profile page. You can then see some pictures and also go to a previous thread that disucssed fitting out a troopy.

cheers
alastair
FollowupID: 687584

Follow Up By: CruisinDub - Friday, May 21, 2010 at 18:23

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 18:23
Thanks Alastair,

Also looking at a troopy for when we return home later in the year for a long round oz-trip for a year or more. Diesel, preferably 4.2.

Will message you for more questions on your set up, if you dont mind?

Thanks
Paul
FollowupID: 687649

Follow Up By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Friday, May 21, 2010 at 18:30

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 18:30
No problem
alastair
FollowupID: 687650

Follow Up By: CruisinDub - Friday, May 21, 2010 at 23:00

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 23:00
Hi Alastair,

Thanks, Unfortunately, cant message you until I am a 'member'. Wasnt planning on becoming an explore oz member till we return home.

my email, albanyson (at) aol.com

We also began planning returning home overland, but decided to return home sooner, set up and then travel oz for an extended time period.

do you have a websitee of your travels through Russia and Asia.

Look forward to hearing more.

Thanks
Regards Paul
FollowupID: 687682

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Friday, May 21, 2010 at 09:07

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 09:07
Have a look in our profile section for a few photos of how we have set up our Troopy.
We have had a bed in the back for many years and have found it very satisfactory and comfortable. Big drawers underneath, although made of MDF have lasted very well - they have been in use for 10 years and a number of big trips over rough tracks. We also have a small tent off the back which also works well.
We are in the process of working up a blog on the set-up - will see if we can move it along a bit quicker!

Our Troopy is petrol, so pretty thirsty - suggest go diesel rather than dual fuel, as gas is hard to get in more remote areas.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 417506

Follow Up By: Member - Stuart P (WA) - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 00:11

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 00:11
find kiwi kia he has one for sale
FollowupID: 687689

Reply By: Member - sdr00y (Beecroft,NSW) - Friday, May 21, 2010 at 11:44

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 11:44
As others have said get a Diesel. I would suggest ensuring it is a 4.2L one. The early 90's (pre 1995 I think) were 4L ones. I would suggest the 1995 onwards 4.2L version.

There are a wide variety of ways to set up the rear of a troopie. Have you considered searching for an ex hire one? There should be a few out there as they rotate their stock frequently. The advantage with these ones may be you wont have to set up any of the cooking, sink, bed etc. The down side may be that you may need to spend more time reconditioning or renewing mechanical parts as hire vehicles are usually sold off after lots of KM's.

I am not sure how much access you get as a visitor (non-member) on exploroz but if you can search members profiles you may be able to look at pictures people have posted of their rigs and get some ideas that way.

sdr00y 1995 RV troopie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 417527

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, May 21, 2010 at 14:40

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 14:40
that pre 1990 had the 4.0l so their getting pretty old now
FollowupID: 687627

Reply By: Crackles - Friday, May 21, 2010 at 17:46

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 17:46
While Troopy's make excellent tourers I found the poor access was a pain & given my time again would go a Landcruiser tray. They can be accessed from 3 sides making storage/tanks easy to fit with several different options for the bed.
Cheers Craig.............
AnswerID: 417566

Reply By: Tim Owen - Friday, May 21, 2010 at 18:48

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 18:48
Would this suit your needs? I recall being in your situation, I thought I'd buy a shell and set it up with a bed in the back as you describe. I have been extremely happy with this vehicle, and will be sorry to see it go - but our first child is due in a few weeks, and there is nowhere for the baby seat.

http://www.users.on.net/~tim.owen/
AnswerID: 417574

Reply By: lenny25 - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 18:37

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 18:37
Thanks guys for all your advice so far- big help!!

Cheers

Lenny
AnswerID: 417702

Sponsored Links