Guide Books

Submitted: Friday, May 21, 2010 at 23:19
ThreadID: 78653 Views:2866 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Planning extended travel round aust when we return home later in the year. Been away for last 14 years, so looking to spend a year or more travelling round, seeing what we can. ......as much as we can.

Question on guide books:
Recommendations, favourites, best info etc etc

Any advice sought so we can beegin planning better and to use when on the road.

To all the experst and more 'experienced' how do you go about planning your trips?

My wife and I like to see everything and do it all, taking all the side roads and off the beaten path, not just to cross things off a 'to-do/to-see list.

Looking for good books to help us plan and make notes from what we read on here and other forums and to use while we are on the road as we go.

Thanks all in advance.

Regards Paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 00:11

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 00:11
Hi Paul

For WA and NT only we found the Jan Holland Priceless Campsites and Rest Areas series the best tour guides.

For the Kimberley, i purchased Ron and Viv Moon's guide to the Kimberley.

Neither of these are recent publications, but bearing in mind freedom to camp in some places has changed, not much else has.

I use the website for each state's parks department to research National Parks and other parks. I also use the internet for research (there are many many tourism websites) as well as ask questions on forums such as this.

How do i plan our trips? Head in a general direction, knowing that there are a few must see priorities, and react to advice from other travellers we meet as well as local. I start with a copy of a map of the region being visited and put circles on all the suggested places that really appeal, and try and get as many on our route. Ask questions on the forums are we approach a region. Most of the knowledge of the out of the way places to visit are only gained once you get into the area.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 417618

Follow Up By: CruisinDub - Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 01:34

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 01:34
Hi motherhen,

Thanks for the reply, albeit sometime back.

Thought at the time, that a follow up was not neccessary, ('thanks all in advance!)

Seems through reading the forums, you guys seem to get to a lot of places, what do you use for 'back ground knowledge' or as a guide book when in areas or places of interest? what do you read to give you the history, details etc of places.

Look like December return home now, so will be South West WA first then heading up NW WA for the cooler months.

I dont just want to get the 'lonely planet' travel guides, but after some other great publiccations that are used whilst 'on the road'.

Thanks in advcance.

Regards Paul

FollowupID: 691741

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 18:06

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 18:06
Hi Paul

Publications and internet tourism websites will only tell you the high profile places. To find the rest (and often the best), you need to get to know the locals as well as talk to like minded travellers you meet along the way.

Asking here is a very good start, as there are some real outback adventurers as members.

If you are keen on the desert and outback, get the Len Beadell books and travel his iconic 'highways'. You will know what i mean once you get out there and read his entertaining, sometimes amazing and often amusing tales. His books come with us every trip for a re-read when in the areas he surveyed.

Where have you spent the past 14 years?

Cheers

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 691797

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 09:56

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 09:56
"....how do you go about planning your trips?"
To start I read guide & history books on the area I'm interested in so I know what features there are to see & where to camp etc. Following early explorers routes particually in central Oz is a great way to set out a trip. I then get a quality map to plan my route & work out travel, rest & sightseeing times. This ensures I make the most of the few weeks holiday I have. I then look at sites like ExOz for specific fuel usage, critical distances & recommendations from others.
Once on the road much of the plan goes out the window as it's now that you get all the gossip from fellow travellers, tourist information & locals. This is when you'll find all the interesting little places off the beaten track. It pays to be flexable with your itinerary to make the most of it. Parks & Reserves will often have great maps with all the highlights, camps walks etc that you may not be able to source before you go.

Ron Moon's series of "Adventurers Guide to ......." are all excellent & the best available for those areas.
Chris Bowens 4x4 Tassie book is great.
Eric Guards book is the bible for the Canning.
Westprint possibly has the best collection of books for planning an Oz touring trip.

Cheers Craig..............
AnswerID: 417634

Follow Up By: CruisinDub - Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 01:37

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 01:37
Hi Craig,

A little late in replying back, and thanks for your info previously.

Do you find the local tourist information centres the best places to get info, when you get to the area?

Ok, all in English language,, they know the local area, stop and ask questions, all clear, but what 'guide books' are reccomended for on teh spot reading of history, details etc etc of teh towns and places visited?

Thanks
Regards Paul
FollowupID: 691742

Follow Up By: Crackles - Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 14:24

Saturday, Jun 19, 2010 at 14:24
The best place to get info is actually off other travellers. It's all been done before so it's just a matter of talking to people before you leave & along the way then being flexable enough with you itinerary. Tourist info centres, Parks office's & even servo's will have free handouts or books written by local historians which can lead you to attractions. Just a matter of thumbing through those that intrest you.
Most people travelling around Oz don't take the time to read up on what's around & drive past some of the best attractions purely because they don't know the are even there. An example was up Cape York where despite going up in the school holidays with thousands of others, we were often alone at old WWII plane wrecks, radar towers & beach campsites simply as they didn't look at the guide books.
Cheers Craig..............
FollowupID: 691777

Sponsored Links