Troopy Braking Performance (feed back)

Submitted: Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 15:14
ThreadID: 78665 Views:4329 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi AGAIN
As per my previous post, I did quite a lot of work on my Troopy earlier this year and one the things this included was the brakes. People asked for some feed back as to what the results of this would be, well here it is.
My Troopy is VERY heavy, having said this, even before I bolted many of the Goodies onto the car (I have had it since new Dec 2004) the brake performance was less than average. Well it went from less than average to Woeful!
I would now rate it back at average or maybe a little better than when new. What did I do?
Rear rotors machined
Replaced front Rotors with slotted ones. Got them at Super Cheap for $69 from memory, was a half price special someone from EO put me on to.
Replaced all pads with QFM 4x4 pads
Relaced brake Fluid.
At least it is not so scary to drive now ?

Regards Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Christopher P (NSW) - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 15:42

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 15:42
Hi Lyndon, has it rear disc or drum brakes? If they are drum you maybe able to swap over to disc and improve performance. You will need the booster and master cylinder, handbrake cables and anythiing else i might have missed.

I did that to a daewoo lanos and i could go from 160kph to 100 in 2seconds, they saved my bacon on the f3 in nsw a few years ago.
AnswerID: 417670

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon NT - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 15:59

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 15:59
Hi Chris
Toyota changed over to rear disks in 92.

Cheers Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 687759

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 16:29

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 16:29
Lyndon,

Great Troopy minds think alike.

I have only just come back from bedding in the brakes on my Troopy. I have replace all 4 rotors and pads. The rotors were getting to the stage where machining was not an option.

The front bearings were also in need of adjustment and repacking. I will adjust the hand brake tomorrow when the brakes have been run in a bit more. Then a grease and oil change, pack the Troopy, and next Saturday morning I will be heading west for the next few months.

BTW. I picked up a full set of disc rotors (4) from Don Kayatt for $212. There was a bit of a trade discount in that, but still not a bad price. What I did notice is that the front rotors were dearer that the rear.

Wayne
AnswerID: 417678

Reply By: Rod W - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 16:32

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 16:32
Having lived in the top end for 20years, 21years ago now, I'd say your woeful brake performance is as a result of all the dirty water crossing and bogs where the vehicle sank to the chassis, hence the mud and fine grime/sand seeps into and and around all the brake parts and hence chews everything out when the vehicle gets moving again. It use to be absolute murder with drums all round with the linings getting chewed out and cylinders ceasing up which one only found out when hard breaking was required.
AnswerID: 417680

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 18:38

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 18:38
The pads wear out even quicker on the rear disk brake setup that Toyota uses in wet and muddy conditions.
A few years back we were in the Alice after a period of wet weather and all the Toyota owners were stuck in town waiting for new rear pads as Kittles had run out. Lots had come down the Tanami in the wet and the mud thrown up under the vehicles got on the rear disks and calipers. As the calipers are at the front it tends to wipe the disk and the mud builds up and slowly wears the pads out as you drive, happens to all the cruisers with rear disks. I used to carry a spare set of rear pads just in case.
FollowupID: 687774

Reply By: Member Dick (Int) - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 19:30

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 19:30
Mud will always be a problem with the Toyota rear brake setup as designed by Toyota. The mud and dirt just builds up in there and grinds things away. The design of the handbrake drum results in a very small disc which does not wear well in Mud.

The solution is the redesign of the rear brakes which Peter Koning did for the mining industry. This eliminates the handbrake on the rear wheels and allows the installation of large disc's. The handbrake is moved to the tailshaft. This and a larger booster makes a big difference to the braking of a heavy Troopy.

Dick

Cheers
Dick

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 417713

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 09:00

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 09:00
Gday Lyndon,
You might remember I did mine at the same time. Got 4 of the DBA slotted rotors - fronts @$89 and rears were ordered in, and bought the Bendix 4wd pads. Done about 2000k now and they made a fair difference, but still doesn't brake was well as my daughter's 80series!!!

Cheesr
phil

AnswerID: 417756

Sponsored Links