The blessed high lands of Tassie at the end of winter

Submitted: Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 20:25
ThreadID: 78678 Views:3117 Replies:2 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Gidday

First of all my credentials. I lived in Northern Tassie just short of three years and had the best time of my life there. Within an hour’s drive of Launceston we could camp on pristine rivers without a care in the World.

At the time I had a Toyota Bundara with coils at each end, and it turned out to be the best car in the high country conditions. The motor wouldn’t pull the topping off a rice pudding when towing our little 15 foot boat, but who cares.

Eventually we moved further afield are started to explore the high country just after winter (September on wards). I knew a bloke in Cressy who told me about a local spot at the Northern end of Lake Sorell. What a time we had there, fishing, and shooting Wallaby’s in the back country for a meal. In fact I could almost write a book about some of these characters I met up there.

Eventually we started to discover the area known as the 5,000 lakes west of the Great Lake. Given the nature of the country at that time of the year, it’s prone to fog and white out conditions.

On one such occasion I suggested to the missus that she walks in front of the car to find our track out. For the life of me I couldn’t understand what all the carry on was about, needless to say, I walked the cold whilst she drove.

I’ve no doubt there are 5,000 lakes up there, but the majority of them are ponds. What I didn’t expect however, was how many of them contained trout fingerlings.

Yes it was cold and often snowing, but I’ll never forget my experiences in Tassie and all the down to Earth people I met there.

I sometimes wonder why everyone go’s north without realising that Tassie is one of the most pristine areas in the World.

Regards

Kim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fred G NSW - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 20:49

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 20:49
"On one such occasion I suggested to the missus that she walks in front of the car to find our track out. For the life of me I couldn’t understand what all the carry on was about, needless to say, I walked the cold whilst she drove."

Kim, Kim, Kim, we need to talk about handlin' wimmen

AnswerID: 417726

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 21:12

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 21:12
Gidday Fred

Why, what have I done? is'nt this normal practise? .......LOL

PS drop me an email and let me know how your going.

Regards

Kim

FollowupID: 687813

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 21:22

Saturday, May 22, 2010 at 21:22
On the way mate..... BTW The Pilliga is still callin' for ya return visit.

:-) from Fred
FollowupID: 687815

Follow Up By: feathery - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 06:20

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 06:20
A well trained wife is hard to find I can remember as a kid dad making mum walk across a flooded bridge with a stick in hand to feel for missing planks while he drove
FollowupID: 687838

Follow Up By: Member - Lionel A (WA) - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 07:50

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 07:50
How I miss that club and my cave......lol.

Cheers.....Lionel.
FollowupID: 687840

Reply By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 07:05

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 07:05
Hi Kim,
I read your thread with interest as we are planning on taking the van across there for September/October, and I was wondering what it might be like at that time of the year. I might get in touch a bit closer to that time if you dont mind. We want to combine it and finish with our usual stay in Mallacoota Vic from the beginning of November.

We have visited there five times, but for short periods - from 5 nights to three weeks, and always went in January as we were on holidays. At that time we were still working, and being teachers had to go in school hols.
Took the car across on the ferry once and a few years ago flew over and trekked the Overland track which was an amazing experience for me. I only started camping, canoeing and getting into travelling and bushwalking after I turned 50 (nearly 10 years ago now) so it was something I never thought I would be capable of.
We just love the place and look forward to returning to explore places in a more leisurely fashion with freedom to stay places in our van.

By the way, I cant for the life of me understand why your wife objected to walking in front of the vehicle!!! lol wasn't she tempted to accidently put her foot on the accelerator when you changed places though??!!

Regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 417747

Follow Up By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 09:52

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 09:52
Heather
Any time is a good time to visit Tassie, we live in the Huon Valley so take today, i know the sun is shining i just cant see it through the fog that's soooo thick i cant see the cruiser in the shed which is less than 30 meters from the house, and the ground looks as if there was a snow fall last night, but its only a frost.
Seriously, September/October should be ok, we usually get blown about a bit by the roaring 40s in September and as usual the mornings and evenings can be cool to cold but the days are starting to warm up and really its a good time to travel Tassie.
As you have been here before there is no need to tell you you will enjoy the place, if coming down/going up the West Coast make sure you go to the Great Wall 7ks on the southern side of Derwent Bridge.
If you get to the Huon Valley send me an MM.
Enjoy.
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 687849

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 19:00

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 19:00
Heather

Send me a MM before you go. I’ll pull out some of the old maps and point you to some of the areas I was talking about.

In answer to your question, I'm sure she thought about running me over well before Tassie!

It's a lamentable llife, us blokes have to live with........LOL

PS Have a good trip.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 687911

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 20:38

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 20:38
Thanks Baz,

that weather you have there at present doesnt really sound all that appealing given that we are currently at Danbulla N Pk on Lake Tinaroo near Atherton. Have had very mild nights and warm days - shorts and t-shirt weather! I guess when we get to Tassie we will just be experiencing winter a bit later in the year than we usually do this year!

and also thanks Kim. I will MM you both later in the year. I will have a couple of months at home in July and August convalescing after surgery - enforced rest - so should have plenty of time to do some research before the trip.

Regards,

heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 687928

Sponsored Links