Sunday History Photo / NT

Submitted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 05:19
ThreadID: 78683 Views:3258 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
On the afternoon of Tuesday 23rd of November 1943, Flying Officer A.J.Gould was authorised to carry out a formation flying exercise in Spitfire S/n BS-300 in company with 4 other aircraft of No 457 Squadron, According to the Form R.E.77, the aircraft was fully serviceable.
At 1605 hours Flying Officer Gould taxied from the dispersal roadway on to the North end of Livingstone Airstrip and waited until three other aircraft of the formation had taken off. He then commenced his take off run leading another Spitfire piloted by Sergeant G.M.Jude in a formation take off, Flying Officer Gould's aircraft was very close to the Eastern edge of the airstrip when he commenced his run and after having travelled approximately 300 yards his port wheel struck a flare path lamp on the edge of the strip, Track idications showed that the port wheel began to deflate after striking the lamp causing the aircraft to swing to the left across the drain and onto the main North-South road (Stuart Highway) that is adjacent to the airstrip. The aircraft ran along the road for some distance still pulling slightly left until it struck a military vehicle parked on the Eastern side of the road, Killing the two occupants of that vehicle, the casualties were Flying Officer C.H.Bell from Kalgoorlie, WA and LAC, E.H.McCarthy from Subiaco, WA.
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
The impact swung the aircraft almost completely around and it continued for a further 75 yards before stopping across the pipe line on the East side of the road.
The pilot was uninjured, he had logged 789 hours flying time when the accident occured.
Flying Officer C.H.Bell and LAC, E.H.McCarthy were both buried at the Adelaide River War Cemetery, the 2 links below will show their plaques and details,
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
On the way home from Darwin a few weeks ago I travelled slowly along the verge and noticed the pipe has a dip in it, on inspection I found the propellor cut marks and the block of concrete shown in the B/w photo is still there today,
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 05:35

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 05:35
Sorry..I forgot to add the links, I just woke up at 4:30am .

C.H.Bell E.H.McCarthy

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 417745

Follow Up By: Brunohamilton - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 07:48

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 07:48
The Adelaide River cemetery is an amazing spot.

One thing, when I first went there in 1979 there were small wooden crosses on each grave, which seemed to make it more poignant, than the headstones there now.

Thanks for the info. I will look for the marks next time I am going that way.
FollowupID: 687839

Reply By: Member - jay D (VIC) - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 17:44

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 17:44
Hi Doug, Another good story. You have a keen eye for detail.
Cheers from Darwin.

jay
AnswerID: 417833

Sponsored Links