Have changed sides just bought a Turbo Landcruiser

Submitted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 16:13
ThreadID: 78703 Views:4017 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
After 7 years of having the GQ many on past EO gatherings will remember my trol
Now some on here will say about time (Pesty) lol others like Roachie will say ive gone to the dark side
just bought my first turbo diesel land cruiser
A 1992 HDJ80R GXL to tow my 23' caravan with
My question is there anything i should know or need to do with a diesel motor before i start it or when i turn it off
Thoughts about turbo timers ???
Sorry if this seems like a silly question
but well thats how we learn lol
warren aka aussichef
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wherehegon - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 16:21

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 16:21
Hi there Warren, the only thing I would recomend besides the usual servicing like all diesels filters etc is find out wether the main bearings have been done. Their were a bad batch of bearings released fitted to these motors, its possible the previous owner has done them but to be on the safe side if not I would have them done and then every 100thou after that. Its not a major expense roughly around the $500 mark to get done. Great vehicle otherwise. Regards steve
AnswerID: 417811

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 19:57

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 19:57
Warren check out thread 78709, scroll down to Hairs & Fysh reply, will confirm what I have said about bearings. Regards Steve
FollowupID: 687922

Reply By: pop2jocem - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 16:51

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 16:51
Hi Warren, how many k's has your new beast done? I think if you check on lcool technical you will find the bearings that gave trouble early on with this model were the con rod (big end) bearings. From what I have read there were different bearing suppliers and some failed at fairly low k's. These were replaced under warranty but as wherehegone has said it's not a bad idea to have them checked and replaced if there is any doubt. My personal opinion as to startup is to fire the engine without any accelerator and let it idle for a short while to let the oil pressure normalise. Shutting down depends on how hard you have been driving. If you have been running around the local shopping centre carpark looking for a place to pull in (usually at low throttle) I don't think you will harm anything by turning the engine off without much idle down time. On the other hand pulling hard through beach sand on a hot day I would let the engine idle for a couple of minutes. Fitting an exhaust pyrometer if the car does not already have one is not a bad indicator as to how stressed your turbo and engine internals are and if they need a cool down period. As far as turbo timers are concerned I think leaving the engine running and walking away is illegal in most states, but I could be wrong.
Apart from normal servicing these 80 series don't appear to have any particular problems and seem to be a pretty good unit.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 417822

Follow Up By: Maîneÿ . . .- Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 18:33

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 18:33
I would think having a turbo timer and having to stay with-in the vehicle is a waste of the original reason for having a turbo timer fitted in the first place, you could just sit there while it idled, I understand they are made to be walked away from so I think a law saying you can't walk away is a bit wasted.

Check out any truck stop when the big rigs come in, they sit there idling away while the driver has a feed in many cases, before they turn off.

Maîneÿ . . .
FollowupID: 687908

Reply By: Member - Christopher P (NSW) - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 17:45

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 17:45
"Hallelujah, another brother has seen the light"
"Praise be to the brother who now drives a Toyota"
"Hallelujah to you Sir to ride a mighty steed"
"Hallelujah for becoming enlightened"
"Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah"

Sorry, thought that was something i thought of on the fly!

didn't mean to hijack the thread. I got inspired by a memory of a African american baptist minister.

Have fun with your new vehicle.

i hope you have a good laugh.
AnswerID: 417835

Reply By: PeterInSa - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 17:50

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 17:50
Warren,
Watch the weight of the gear(+ water etc) you load into your van, the early 80 Series may not have the same towing capacity as the later model GQ's.

Peter
AnswerID: 417839

Follow Up By: Drew - Karratha - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 18:22

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 18:22
2.5 tonne - I think..
FollowupID: 687907

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 18:23

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 18:23
Gday,
First of all...... Dont be surprised if it starts when you turn the key on.
Secondly.....You will probably find you need to turn the key off to stop it running.

After all those years of the Nissan stopping when it wanted to and not starting, these little Toyota traits might take a little getting used to.

Good luck
LOL

Cheers
AnswerID: 417847

Follow Up By: 3GoBush - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 22:21

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 22:21
ROTFLMAO. That's gold
FollowupID: 687942

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 19:22

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 19:22
Hi Warren,
Not a very expensive job to have the Big Ends Bearings done, I just had mine done on Friday. $300.00 plus oil & filter, I supplied my own. The old girl has 312000 k's on her now, pretty cheap insurance if you ask me.
I've fitted a Bogaard turbo timer, pretty easy to set up. Behind the drives kick panel you will pull a plug apart, connect the timers wirng into that and earth the timer. Find some where to put the stop over ride button and the jobs done. They come in handy if you've been towing up a rang or hill, and at the top you pull over, it will let it idle for up to 5 minutes in settings of 30 seconds increments.
If your radiator is looking a bit sad, replace it with a 4 core brass/copper one, about 600 to 700 bucks.They tend to get a little hot while towing into a head wind for long periods.
As Pop mentioned, become a member of Lcool, there is heaps of info there about what to do and not to do.
Peter & Drew are right about their towing capacity, I believe the weight to be 2500kg in the earlier model., 96 they changed it 3500kg.

Also Warren,If you can get your hands on some Chemtec Diesel power additive, she'll run heaps better on it, check eBay for 80 stuff. Just type into the search '80 series' A lot of it is new after market gear from 4wd shops that is way less than what you would paid for it from Mr Toyota.
If your going to do a hell of a lot of Highway driving, it may pay to put a part time kit in her, from Marks Adapters,
3" exhaust from Scotts Rods Will let her breath heaps better, I fitted one, and what a difference it made, more torque, better fuel economy Again you can buy this from eBay,
I know I'm an eBay junkie

I hope this helps,
One less for them & one more for us

Good stuff

AnswerID: 417862

Follow Up By: Member - aussichef (SA) - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 22:37

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 22:37
Already joined lcool last week but been a member here alot longer lol
I'm a ebay junkie as well so thanks for that thought
Will check out Chemtec Diesel power additive
The towbar has a offical looking sticker that is unfortunatly 1/2 ripped off saying 2 different tow rates saying this tow vehical has been upgraded
the weights are the parts that arent showing lol
A sticker on the rear windcreen saying a member of the antique areo club
Wonder if it was upgraded to tow planes ???
Can you eplain what a part time kit is please ???
warren aka aussichef

FollowupID: 687945

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 06:08

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 06:08
Hi Warren,
Your GXL cruiser will be constant 4wd, being that it well be driving power to the ground through both the rear diff and front diff, The kit is designed to go in the back of the transfer case and allow power to be sent to the rear diff and not the front diff, reducing wear on the front diff if your traveling a hell of a lot of k's on the black top. Marks 4WD Adaptors
Some blokes that have put the kit in, say they drive a lot better and feel more like a car.
Maybe someone will be able to explain it a bit better than that.
Good luck with it all.

FollowupID: 687951

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 20:17

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 20:17
Onya Warren......at least you now own a diesel; even if it does have the wrong badge on the grille...hahaha.

You probably already know this, but in case you don't....you will need to allow the glow plugs to do their cycle before hitting the starter for the first time each day......well, you do on all the diesels I've ever started anyway; Toyotas are so perfect that maybe you don't need to do this step on one of them...LOL

Personally I wouldn't bother with a turbo timer. 99% of the time, when it's time to switch the engine off, it won't be hot enough to need to idle it down. This includes when you've been tooling along the highway at 100k/h, come into a town and decide to pull up for lunch, pit-stop, smoko etc.... by the time you slow down from 100 to 80 then to 50 (say 2 to 3 minutes in a small town), the turbo will have cooled sufficiently to enable a safe shutdown immediately when you pull up.

I would much rather spend the money fitting a pyro gauge. This will tell you what the exhaust gas temperature is, so not only will you know if your temp has reduced to a safe level to switch the engine off; but it's also a really useful tool to show you if you are labouring the engine at all.

Cheers mate and hope Barb is well.

Roachie
AnswerID: 417873

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 20:52

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 20:52
Hi Roachie,
How's it going?
I forgot about fitting a pyro gauge.
Very handy thing to have. It's on my wish list of things to get.
This list I have isn't getting any short LOL. Dam it LOL
FollowupID: 687930

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 22:04

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 22:04
Same here mate...... I buy something (that comes off the list) and then I find 2 more things to add to the list (that I managed to do perfectly well without for the past 40 years).....hahaha
FollowupID: 687940

Follow Up By: Member - aussichef (SA) - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 22:53

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 22:53
Hi Bill
Hope Annette and the boys are well
barbara is very tired and cant & doesnt do much . need to rest for an hour after making the bed the other day
We are told now the operation is the end of May .
Been cancelled 3 times now
Hope to catch up with u in the near future
warren aka aussichef
FollowupID: 687948

Sponsored Links