Lawn Hill and Adel Grove for Caravaners

Submitted: Monday, May 24, 2010 at 07:47
ThreadID: 78721 Views:6156 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
We have just made the trek to Lawn Hill and despite my research, been surprised at things that were inaccurate. Not being critical of the NP broucher which is great but it has to cover all bases. Caravans could do with some specific information. So this is supplimental to that broucher and designed for caravans.

The Grove, you can fit a full sized van in there upto a length of about 20ft. There is a tight bend and bushes will brush against the sides. Once in there the height is fine but take it slow. You get zero solar panel power in the grove. The overhead leaf cover is that great. You get no sat tv or cell phone coverage. Because this will make you limit power consumption, everyone seems to head to bed early so it is quiet at night. (this was non school holiday time). No generators allowed there.

Main camping area is non powered sites but similar to a caravan park. Some are shady and some are not. The higher ground and with a good intenna (6 meters) you will get cell coverage to the century mine down the road. Generators are allowed here till 8pm and almost everyone appears to have one. The walk to the good toilet facility is longer from here as it mainly services the grove area. New facility is great, older one adaquate. This area has taps as well.

The road in from both Mt Isa and Burke and Wills is good. I took the B&W road and there is just one main water creek crossing. In front of me was a 6.6 metre Guiest (not cetain of the spelling ) and 2 Jayco Stirlings caravans and they were happy. The park had many more non off road caravans there.

You can also leave your road van at Gregory Downs ($7 a night) and drive the rest of the way in the tug. Road is really 2WD at time of writing and there were quite a few 2WD vehicles in the camp. The Gregory Down to B&W section has road trains and they can come upon you very very quickly at times and some places have no where to get off the road. This section can be one lane sealed with no edges. Certainly recommend being on the CB for that. Hope this helps.

Go there are do not be put off, it is worth it. One of the most beauitful places you will see.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duane A (WA) - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 09:10

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 09:10
Fantastic posting guys .information like this make this forum a great source of reading up dated locations camping and enviroment .Good on ya.
AnswerID: 417905

Reply By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 10:01

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 10:01
Well done, we were there last year and the road from Gregory Downs to the mine turn off was great, smoother than some bitumen highways we have been on, but after that left a little to the imagination, canoeing up the gorge was excellent, but you have to get there early to get a canoe other wise wait some time till one is returned.
The only fault we found with the place was the daily charge for what you get (which is only the camp spot) $32 per night.
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 417911

Follow Up By: carlsp - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 10:11

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 10:11
I know what you mean. A few years ago I roamed through Russia and in the beginning, was annoyed at all the bribes. Then I descovered this is how they make their salary and went along with the program. (Speeding fine on the highway is $3.45)

I suppose that they have to make their money in a few months of the year as the rest of the time is quiet.

The potential of this place however is enormous. It is a bit like Byron Bay and Port Douglas, once it is descovered, it is the millions of tourists that destroy it. Not an easy answer certainly.
FollowupID: 687966

Reply By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 10:30

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 10:30
Hi carlsp,

we stayed in Adel's grove two years ago, but not in the actual grove area as at the time we needed to run a generator to keep our fridge powered, and were also reliant on solar. As you say, there is no point of trying to get solar to work in the grove area - too shaded. (although very pretty)

We found the place a bit disorganised with sites double booked, and some were very tight to get vans into with trees, bushes and other obstacles in the way, but managed in the end and had a few nights there which we enjoyed very much. We have a Jayco outback sterling and manage to get most places with it, unless height of overhanging branches/trees is a problem.

The gorge is worth every bit of the effort required to get there. Loved all the walks and the canoeing and took many photos. The colour of the water is unbelievable!! We found the road to be rough and corrugated past the mine road entrance as the grader hadnt been through at the time, but couldnt see the point of leaving our van at gregory Downs and driving in just for the day.
As you say, the road conditions vary and you can be lucky or unlucky. We find that the worst roads usually lead to the best places!

We free camped on the way in beside that big (dry) river, not far off the road down a dusty track and enjoyed a blissfully quiet night.

Cheers,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 417914

Reply By: Abraxxas - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 11:05

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 11:05
Many thanks. That information is very timely and just what we needed as we are heading that way in July. Regards, ps
AnswerID: 417918

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 16:08

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 16:08
Thanks for that. We are going to be there mid August. Haven't found the QLD EPA site all that helpful; it's not any easy site to move around in or get all the info you need in one place. Both WA & NT have much friendlier sites for their parks.

Anyway, we are looking forward to spending some time there and having a good look around. We too, have booked into Adels Grove as we believe the camp sites are better, and we can use the genset as needed.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 417950

Reply By: Steve - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 17:17

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 17:17
Good informative post - if you ring them at the Grove they'll answer all your questions. We thought they were excellent - even baby sat our pooch whilst we went off to the gorge and no charge.....and yes, I do recall the early night but that was fine too. A few years ago now and was more or less booked out then although it was winter school hols. We camped up at the back/top and got plenty of solar power.
AnswerID: 417953

Reply By: Graham & Ann - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 20:26

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 20:26
Loved our stay up the top at Adels Grove in 2003, dog friendly spot, with good swimming in the creek. Enjoyed the walks and canoeing in Lawn Hill, and yes pays to get there early am for canoe (7-7.30am ish) hire so you have all morning to explore the gorge.

The tour to Riversleigh fossil sites also worth it......... enjoy
AnswerID: 417988

Reply By: blue one - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 20:49

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 20:49
You will love the Cat fish. Just go for a swim.

Cheers
AnswerID: 417996

Follow Up By: Stu & "Bob" - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 22:18

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 22:18
Take a few crackers with you, the fish will eat them out of your hand.

FollowupID: 688064

Sponsored Links