Travel Diary Idea

Submitted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 15:44
ThreadID: 78754 Views:2110 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Just thought I'd post an idea on here that I thought was good & has worked for me. Back in the 80's I was in the Doctors surgery & picked up a New Idea or some such magazine where people sent in their tips. The idea was for a travel diary to purchase a postcard each day and write on the back where you have been & what you did that day.

I have done this ever since and now have quiet a collection. I just write in the address section where we travelled from & to, how many km's we travelled, cost of accom. for the night, how much I spent on petrol & the temperature for the day. The rest of the postcard I fill in with what we did that day. They are great to keep and have a picture of where we went on the front. I usually just hole punch in the top corner & tie them all together with a ribbon at the end of the trip. Also very inexpensive.

Just a thought I thought I'd share! :)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Signman - Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 15:53

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 15:53
Sounds good...
But most of the destinations I head to- don't have postcards !!!!

AnswerID: 418069

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 16:08

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 16:08
make your own? ... lol...
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 688126

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 16:28

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 16:28
Hi Jo,

Yes that is quite a good idea for those who stay fairly close to "civilisation" - but as others have said, wouldn't work in the more remote areas.

We have kept a travel journal for some years now - just use a notebook, usually A5 size and with a sturdy cover. In it we keep a running record of vehicle costs and a separate list of all other costs, plus a daily entry with date, place, distance covered, and a description of what we did that day.

It can be a bit hard to do at first, and I cringe when I read my early attempts. But I have found that over time I have learned to record useful information that I refer back to quite often. They have certainly been useful when compiling blogs, trip reports etc. Also, we take a lot of photos (came back from last years trip with about 10,000 of them!) and the photos and diary reinforce each other so we can end up having a pretty clear memory of where we went and what we did. Makes the trip last longer!

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 418074

Sponsored Links