Quietening a Honda EU2I even further - Is it possible?

Submitted: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 22:36
ThreadID: 78773 Views:4602 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I purchased a Honda EU2I for the Avan. I want to put it in a ventilated cupboard and run the exhaust into another pipe and down about 250 mm under the van.(Between the van and the box.)

I was thinking of a pipe twice the size of the outlet holes in it encased with metal with s/s wool in the space between the pipe and the outer casing.
Is a extended exhaust pipe twice the size of the Honda exhaust large enough?
Has anyone done this successfully?
The generator will be generously ventilated in a compartment.

Thank you
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 23:14

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at 23:14
People have done this, and they vent the soundproof box with a fan which can be run from the generator. Generous ventilation as you put it would also allow the sound to escape. When we purchased our Honda, my husband mentioned a box with a fan in the shop. The retailer said that it would invalidate the warranty. We found the unit acceptably quiet anyway, and have camped near other caravanners using the same and had to step outside to tell if they still had it running.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 418161

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 12:20

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 12:20
I think when you run them close to maximum load they all get loudish, if your only using a little power they are quiet.
FollowupID: 688244

Follow Up By: Firepac - Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 22:09

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 22:09
Well I have been thinking about it and have decided to use the 12 volt side of the generator to run 2 electric fans (one as a fail safe) Also install a dick smith inside outside therometer - one in the box and one reading out side temperatures. I can then adjust the doors on the generator cupboard to suit. I plan to use some sound deadening mat inside to absorb sound before escaping. We only want to run it for an hour each evening for showers/ wash up and for emergency battery charging.

Thanks everyone for your posts, they gave me helpful insight.
FollowupID: 688344

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 22:21

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 22:21
Hi Firepac

If you only need it for an hour or so, and you are camped with others in a genny area, they won't hear yours for the noise their's makes, and no doubt theirs will be run for longer than yours. If you camp alone, face the exhaust away and it won't bother you - or if it does, use the long cord suggestion. The latter is what we did when we had the noisy old Yamaha genny; we always bush camped alone.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 688351

Follow Up By: Member - Barry (NT) - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 12:10

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 12:10
Hi Firepac

IMHO you are playing with fire if you rely on a thermometer to guide you as to whether you open or close doors.

When will you open the door? When temp gets to say 50C inside box (as it will very quickly) and probablly go much higher very quickly. The thermometer will give ambient air temp inside the box OK but NOT the temp of the genny or electonic components, plastic shrouds and fuel tank vapour could be a serious problem with associated risks of explosion. YOU RISK SEVERELY OVERHEATING YOUR GENERATOR if you are not VERY careful.

Do you really want to sit by generator and adjust doors, especially when it's hot etc etc.

I don't want be alarmist but you need to think of these things.

Just my 2 cents worth again.
FollowupID: 688467

Follow Up By: Firepac - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 17:05

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 17:05
I have 2 fans installed in my plan running off the gene, the idea of the thermometer is to see if I can close the large side door (where the pull start is) and just let it run with the cross flow from the front air intake.
I see people running this system with fans alone.
I will certainly monitor it.
FollowupID: 688659

Reply By: Member - Barry (NT) - Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 13:51

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 13:51
Several options you may consider before box.

20 metres of 240V cable works especially if you put the genny behind - trees, banks, cardboard ect to shield the diect sound

be careful with the box re cooling air in or cooling out - as stated above vents allow sound out as well as air in/out.

shielding the direct "noise" (ie line of sight) and REFLECTED noise is the secret as well as absorbing any noise emitted nosie where possible ie acoustic tiles etc.

However to box it you could have a larger inverted box over an upright box with exhaust and mountings through upright box. Have adequade insulation inside boxes with air agp should do the trick.

You can mount to upright box and have waterproof inverted box as lift off for refulling/ starting etc.

AnswerID: 418226

Follow Up By: Firepac - Friday, May 28, 2010 at 17:08

Friday, May 28, 2010 at 17:08
I'm not worried about the noise for an hour, just other campers may complain.
Thanks for the ideas in the think tank.
the top hinges open for refuelling.
FollowupID: 688661

Reply By: OREJAP - Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 17:50

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 17:50
Look on the http://www.campertrailers.org/ On the tech tips site
AnswerID: 418248

Reply By: Roughasguts - Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 21:16

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 21:16
My Outboard makes a huge amount of noise on the muffs but if I submerge the leg in a tank of water it's nice and quiet.
So with that theory run your exhaust in to a tank of water and that should quieten things down nicely.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 418293

Reply By: TerraFirma - Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 12:20

Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 12:20
Here you go, follow these instructions..

Sound Proofing a Generator - Everything you need to know
AnswerID: 418396

Sponsored Links